PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am Ben from the UK, nice to meet you, halp.

BenATC185S
11-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Hello guys, just signed up and wondering if i could drain some knowledge from you regarding my '82 ATC185s which i brought earlier this year.

it needed a rebore but over here in the UK we do not have many parts for this bike so the only piston set I could find was a Wossner 65.50 kit bringing me up from around a 63mm bore to the 65.50, it had never been apart before from what i could tell, carbon like you wouldn't believe, original gaskets baked on ect. while i was there cleaned everthing up, reground valves, new valve seals and gaskets. I am aware that that is has now come from a 8:1 compression to 10:1 and that became obvious when today it blew the head gasket on the right side after only being ran for a few hours since the rebuild? the Gasket set used wasn't OEM I do not think. linked below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-ATC-185-S-UK-1979-1982-Gasket-Set-Full-Each/112265485973?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

so what do I do here? are there more robust gaskets sets available that cross over from the XR series? I dont want to just put another one on for it to blow again and have to take the whole engine out again. any drops of knowledge greatly appriciated.

Regards, Ben.

barnett468
11-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Too late now but I would have used a much smaller piston.

You can call these guys and ask if the head gasket in the kit below is an MLS and if it will work with your setup. You can also buy the head gaskets separately.

COMETIC 800-752-9850

http://www.cometic.com/i-24847990-honda-atc185-1980-1983-67mm-top-end-gasket-kit.html?ref=category:1287921

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

atc007
11-06-2017, 08:07 AM
The hard work is done but you will need to check the top of your cylinder and bottom of your head for trueness. These lil 200's have held up to much more power than you're making. I would get the OEM Honda gasket. It is updated with silicone and will never blow, provided you have perfect mating surfaces. What did the bore job cost you? That was a lot of material to hog out ;) Did you put a new rope in your pull start? Lol

BenATC185S
11-07-2017, 06:14 AM
The hard work is done but you will need to check the top of your cylinder and bottom of your head for trueness. These lil 200's have held up to much more power than you're making. I would get the OEM Honda gasket. It is updated with silicone and will never blow, provided you have perfect mating surfaces. What did the bore job cost you? That was a lot of material to hog out ;) Did you put a new rope in your pull start? Lol

Yeah maybe i shouldn't of bored it as much but the cylinders on the 185s have alot of meat on them and it was the only piston i could get my hands on too, Suprising the job didn't got to much, around £65 with return postage + I have to pay initial poastage from geoff towers motorcycles. does a lot of honda rebores and really good job, turn around was a hassel though, over two weeks but im inpatient. Beat you to it on the pullcord, used some 6mm army paracord and holding up well, didn't wax it though so the rubbing friction is stripping it slightly so going to do that whilst i wait for my gaskets. thank you for the advice though, just to wait now. tick tock. :)

350for350
11-07-2017, 10:19 PM
I'm not real sure on how machine shop prices compare between the U.S. and the UK, but that doesn't really sound like it's too far out of line.