PDA

View Full Version : Stumped on a KLT160

fatdad
11-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I finally figured out how to post on this site, I didn't notice the newb forum.

I love this bike, don't want to get rid of it, but having some issues getting it started. It is my 3rd three wheeler.

1. Carb super clean
2. Valves adjusted and rechecked many times over.
3. New Coil and Spark plug (prob not needed but did anyways)
3. Have Spark
4. Have fuel in the bowl

It uIn the past few years it was very hard to get going and then sometimes it would suddenly die while I was riding it, but for the most part I was able to get it going fairly well. The intermittent experience led me to believe the coil and plug wire could have been bad, so I replaced them. It also pointed me to the valves which are now spot on.

Can confirm fuel is in the carb and have spark, but cannot get it started. The Choke does not work, it was broken off years ago and parts are impossible to come by. I have rigged the choke so it cannot be used.

I was tinkering the other night and was able to get it going by spraying starting fluid down the choke hole. It fired right up and stayed running. I was even able to rev the engine with the throttle. It then stopped the engine and was able to pull start it back up again. However, after the 3rd time I was back to square one.

As a result of the starter fluid working, I went back to the carb and looked at the jets to see if they were clogged. Nothing spectacular, but I blew them out again to be sure. I found that then pilot jet did not look like it was fully seated. I backed it out and found a spring on it, which is odd, so I removed the spring and was able to seat the jet fulling into the carb. It was tough turning to get it in there, which now that I am writing, maybe need to clean that out somehow or soak it overnight.

Any thoughts if I'm headed the right direction or could compression be the cause of all this? It seems odd that I can get it going with starting fluid and then run it with gas for a time.

barnett468
11-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Do a compression test with the throttle wide open.

Check the timing with a light.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce