PDA

View Full Version : 1985 125m died.

GageWallin
11-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Okay so I have a 1985 125m that I can't get to run again. Here's a little background, I was pulling my garbage trailer over to get rid of it. Id guesstimate about 500lbs or so. Everything was running smoothly until I was about there and she just died. Got pulled home, only to discover that it won't fire back up. I somewhat checked the timing I believe we are in time on the 125m. Then I noticed the China carb I had on it (17$) the choke plate broke and it stayed at full choke. So I rebuilt the original carb. I got it to run for about 5 seconds. Wouldn't start after that. So I took it apart again and recleaned the jets because they were gunky. But now I can't seem to get the thing started??? Please help I'm dying over here not being able to ride. I broke the pull rope on the 185, which is hard starting but runs to beat hell when she decides to run. Any help appreciated! I'm new to 3 wheelers. My addiction started at the beginning of summer.

GageWallin
11-17-2017, 10:36 AM
And my question is,, how do you set the carb on this? And does anybody know if the carb rebuild kits come with bigger jets?

GageWallin
11-17-2017, 11:32 AM
You're not dying.

Were either of the screws missing from the choke plate?

Got fuel? Is it coming out of the tank freely?

Got spark?

Yes fuel comes out of the tank freely and I do have spark, I tested it with one of those things that lights up when the plug fires. And all the parts where still there on the China carb, I believe it was an internal spring that broke, or isn't sitting right for the flap. And another thing, I'm not sure if I have the carb adjusted right. For air fuel I have it 1 5/8 turns from closed and the screw for the slide I'm not sure where to set that.
Edit ** my finger will blow off of the spark plug hole when I turn her over

GageWallin
11-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Yes it does start up, I sprayed starting fluid in it, as I don't have and carb cleaner. She also backfired

Edit** it died after about 3 seconds, and had it at about half throttle. I also do not have the air box hooked up to the carb

Black_Widow
11-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Just go back to the basics. 1. You said the compression blew your finger off the plug hole, have you adjusted the valves to .005” @ TDC on the compression stroke and done a compression test with a gauge to ensure you have compression of at least 125 psi? 2. According to my manual your pilot should be at 1 3/8 turns out with the needle jet in the 2nd groove. If the air box is off and you put your hand over the intake, is there sufficient suction to draw in the fuel mix? Does it smell like gas in the garage when you pull it 10 times? If so, you are prob getting fuel. 3. You checked the spark with an inline tester, if you test with a plug inserted in the boot resting on the cylinder fins, do you see a good full spark every time you pull it? Did you clean/gap the plug to .6-.7 mm (.024 - .028”)?

I love my 125m... they’re fun! Get it going!

GageWallin
11-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Just go back to the basics. 1. You said the compression blew your finger off the plug hole, have you adjusted the valves to .005” @ TDC on the compression stroke and done a compression test with a gauge to ensure you have compression of at least 125 psi? 2. According to my manual your pilot should be at 1 3/8 turns out with the needle jet in the 2nd groove. If the air box is off and you put your hand over the intake, is there sufficient suction to draw in the fuel mix? Does it smell like gas in the garage when you pull it 10 times? If so, you are prob getting fuel. 3. You checked the spark with an inline tester, if you test with a plug inserted in the boot resting on the cylinder fins, do you see a good full spark every time you pull it? Did you clean/gap the plug to .6-.7 mm (.024 - .028”)?

I love my 125m... they’re fun! Get it going!

Hello again, well I got my rig a rollin again, it ended up being corrosion on the plug wire. I was getting spark but it was just so weak it wasn't firing. So what I did was, cut the plug wire back about a 1/2 inch and threw the plug boot back on. And after that I realized my slide needle was in the 3rd notch so I moved it down one.... hooked the battery up and she fired off right away! Thanks guys.:beer