PDA

View Full Version : New to me 84 250 big red maybe

Trapperpete52
11-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Bought a basketcase last night. Guy said had it running a month ago before he rebuilt the bottom end. No spark now but after looking it over more it has some major problems. Hacked up wiring harness for starters. Starter has the main wire going in where can pull it out. No idea how it turned over with the starter last night but it did. Numbers on the engine are TB05E-6033019 which if am reading it right says is a 83 200X. The carb hits the crossmember so they cut one side loose with a grinder and pried it up to clear the top of the carb. I am in hopes someone can enlighten me what I am dealing with other then someone else's mess. The VIN says is a 200 made in 84. I have rewired my 77 FXE Shovelhead with no problem once I found a schematic.

The transmission will need some TLC as well the bolt broke off so they welded the shifter to the shaft. There is no pull rope stater and tranny says it has reverse. Where the pull rope mounts is a small splined shaft as well I have no idea what it is for. I have purchased a shop manual for an 84 but not here yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Burchoid
11-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Oofta... You should pin down the model first, then go through each component per the shop manual.

Trapperpete52
11-23-2017, 06:30 PM
To replace the transmission shift shaft will it need to be split? Just found there is no bottom in the battery box as well. The frame we haven't determined yet but something isn't right as the crossmember where seat mounts hits the carb and they cut then pried the frame up as hits the carb top.

Trapperpete52
11-23-2017, 07:53 PM

Took me a bit to figure the picture posting out. Hope these help to explain a tad better.

Trapperpete52
11-23-2017, 08:19 PM
247797 Here is a shot from further back.

Trapperpete52
11-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Will get a good shot of it and a number as think saw that when was daylight. Eliminate the wash out from the flash that way. Yep gonna be a challenge it seems.

Trapperpete52
11-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Not really paid them that much attention yet but seemed not real bad or big pieces missing. Noted they tossed the headlight and has an LED bar in place of it. Figured if it turned over and was some compression it can be made to run most likely. My manual won't be here for another week so can look it over some for obvious things and continue from there. Oil looks pretty sorry but always change that on everything I adopt. Shaft drive is new to me as well. All have been around before were chain drive.

barnett468
11-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Bought a basketcase last night. ...has some major problems.

No spark...
Hacked up wiring harness
Starter has the main wire going in where can pull it out.
Numbers on the engine are TB05E-6033019 which if am reading it right says is a 83 200X.
The carb hits the crossmember so they cut one side loose with a grinder and pried it up to clear the top of the carb.
The VIN says is a 200 made in 84.
The transmission will need some TLC as well the bolt broke off so they welded the shifter to the shaft.
There is no pull rope
no bottom in the battery box

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Buy a better one to build?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

BarnBoy
11-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Buy a better one to build?

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

I agree. You are gonna put a lot more money into that bike just to get it rideable than it would cost to buy a running driving bike in decent shape. Would make a good parts bike though. As they say, cant make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Trapperpete52
11-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Being hard headed and like a challenge I will pursue this for awhile anyway. 247820 247821

BarnBoy
11-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Being hard headed and like a challenge I will pursue this for awhile anyway. 247820 247821

Go for it. I hope you can get it going. I will admit you will learn a lot more by fixing up this one vs buying one that is ready to go. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. If you need a shifter shaft I may have one, PM if interested and I can look.

For manuals I would suggest ( http://oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ ) I think the guy who runs that site is on here, and its got manuals for all the Honda ATC's.