PDA

View Full Version : Paint thoughts

mr-bubble66
12-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Alright so ive been asking questions about my 1985 atc 125m that im trying to restore as good as i can and the picture is the way i bought it in october. But i am taking apart the engine now getting close to split the case and install new crank bearings and probably all other bearings as i dont want to waste my time and money to have something ruin it all .
Anyways the head and cylinder are all crappy looking as well as the side covers . Should i use the satin black to make the side covers and cylinder look nice again and the aluminum to make the inner case and head look nice again . I already plan on making the frame a nice neat satin black and polish the red until its mirror like and get aluminium wheel paint for the rusty old rims.

mr-bubble66
12-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Also when i got this i got a 1985 atc 110 parts bike with nice engine nice plastics compared to these and thats where the metal tank is from i also got a plastic tank but im not into a plastic tank metals much nicer to me

mgusciora
12-06-2017, 10:38 PM
I would say yes but be very careful. If you are actually gonna ride this prep is everything.

~Matt Gusciora

mr-bubble66
12-06-2017, 10:41 PM
How should i go about prepping for paint

yaegerb
12-07-2017, 01:47 AM
I have used powder and paint. Powder will hold up much longer. If you are going to use paint then sandblast the cases and wipe down with acetone, then alcohol and finally use PJ1 fast black (satin).

mr-bubble66
12-07-2017, 02:06 AM
Only that brand of paint ?

yaegerb
12-07-2017, 02:11 AM
Used many. It’s the best IMO.

barnett468
12-07-2017, 01:32 PM
any aerosol (spray can) paint like pj1 or krylon or duplicolor etc will easily get scuffed up, however, it can easily be spot repaired.

powder coating is harder than the above but it should be electrostatically applied before heating and needs a special gun to apply, plus it is much thicker which can cause issues in some areas.

powder coating home video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNmRLIVEU10

other finishes like cerakote, dlc, and hard anodizing will hold up better than the above with hard anodizing being the most durable for this type of app but but they are all expensive.

the bottom line is, if you don't mind a few scratches and want quick, easy, cheap, and easy to touch up, just use a spray can. pj1 is good but there are others as well that might be easier to get in your area.

if you want a show bike that you will never ride, use cheap paint because it will never see any use.

if you want a show bike that you will ride that you dont want to refinish the side covers on every time you ride it, get them hard anodized or dlc coated.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

mr-bubble66
01-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Update: I’ve washed the grease from the frame and decided the engine looks better than I thought but the frame is it worth painting or should I just keep it like it is 249622249623249624249625

jb2wheels
01-23-2018, 02:30 PM
I'd prep and paint it while it's apart.

Clean and de-grease.
Remove bolts and rubber parts and little parts (I hate masking).
Wire wheel and/or sand all the rusty spots and scuff the paint. I'd rather blast it but frames don't fit in blast cabinets.
Prime it.
Paint it.

If using rattle cans, I like the Duplicolor green self etch primer and engine enamel paint. Sometimes O-Reilly's Auto Parts has a 2 for 1.

Powder coat if you have the $$.

I use a black epoxy on frames if I feel like mixing up the paint and cleaning the guns and stuff.

mr-bubble66
01-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Does the primer color matter and what’s the best way to get the rust inside the frame

Jack G
01-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Does the primer color matter and what’s the best way to get the rust inside the frame

Generally speaking, it is best to use a primer that is similar in color to the final paint color. For example, if you're painting something white, use a very light gray primer. If you're painting something black, use a dark gray primer.

I would advise against using a primer that is the same color as the paint because that makes it quite difficult to see where you have/have not painted and the coverage may be spotty.