PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild 1982 ATC 250

iflywhirlybirds
12-09-2017, 11:20 PM
I just picked up a 1982 ATC 250 from a buddy of mine who is going to help me build it out as 2 wheeler. Seeing how missile kits are so hard to come by nowadays we figured we could fab one up using existing drawing and such. Does anyone have any dimensions they would be willing to share?

Also, I took the motor off and it is FILTHY. It runs OK, it doesnt idle and I think there might be a crack in the transmission housing, do you guys think it would be worth doing a complete engine tear down to clean it up and make sure its in working order? The carb will need to be rebuilt for sure but I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle of a complete teardown would be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

spacerust
12-11-2017, 11:29 AM
If you have any parts that you are looking to sell off of your 82, let me know, I would be interested.

86125m
12-11-2017, 01:20 PM
yea the engine is more than likely rebuilding as long as the block isn't cracked like you said the old honda 200 are tough old engines.

yaegerb
12-11-2017, 01:22 PM
I just picked up a 1982 ATC 250 from a buddy of mine who is going to help me build it out as 2 wheeler. Seeing how missile kits are so hard to come by nowadays we figured we could fab one up using existing drawing and such. Does anyone have any dimensions they would be willing to share?

Also, I took the motor off and it is FILTHY. It runs OK, it doesnt idle and I think there might be a crack in the transmission housing, do you guys think it would be worth doing a complete engine tear down to clean it up and make sure its in working order? The carb will need to be rebuilt for sure but I just don't know if it would be worth the hassle of a complete teardown would be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

I assume you mean an '82 250R? I may be incorrect, but missile kits were not made for the 1st or 2nd gen's. I believe they were only made for the 85/86 250R so any attempt to make a missile kit would be on your own or from schematics by another enthusiast.

iflywhirlybirds
12-12-2017, 12:08 AM
If you have any parts that you are looking to sell off of your 82, let me know, I would be interested.

Are you looking for anything in particular? I ask because we might get a bit Hannibal on this build.

Also thanks everyone for your replies!

barnett468
12-12-2017, 12:51 AM

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so you have a used engine that you don't know the condition of that only runs "ok" and it doesn't idle and it may have a crack in the center case and you want to know if it is worth spending around a total of 8 hours tearing it down, inspecting and reassembling it with any new parts it needs while you are willing to spend several weeks modifying the frame? :wondering

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

BOB MARLIN
12-12-2017, 09:58 AM
I haven't ever talked to anyone that was all that happy with their missile. They don't handle for crap. Something to think about before you go building a swing arm, figuring out how to get a sprocket mounted to a wheel and don't forget about the idler gear set up you would most likely have to come up with to move the chain over. There is a lot going on there.

atc300r
12-12-2017, 11:21 AM
A member on here used a BW 350 swingarm on a 2 wheel Tecate.