PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Atc 110 shift drum stopper.

adryananderson
12-21-2017, 05:06 PM
I have a 1985 Atc 110 it has just been rebuilt, when I was taking it apart rebuilding it one of the things that was broken and I had to replace was the shift drum stopper, it was completely broken...

I installed the new one then took it out for a ride and it was fine for the first hour but was shifting pretty hard then all of a sudden I hear a loud noise an can't get it to really go in to gear unless I rock it back an forth so I get home... and I opened the right side cover and the new shift drum stopper was ruined... any tips? What is the proper torque for that bolt that holds it on? I'm stumped, thanks!

DAM shop
12-21-2017, 07:23 PM
I have a 1985 Atc 110 it has just been rebuilt, when I was taking it apart rebuilding it one of the things that was broken and I had to replace was the shift drum stopper, it was completely broken...

I installed the new one then took it out for a ride and it was fine for the first hour but was shifting pretty hard then all of a sudden I hear a loud noise an can't get it to really go in to gear unless I rock it back an forth so I get home... and I opened the right side cover and the new shift drum stopper was ruined... any tips? What is the proper torque for that bolt that holds it on? I'm stumped, thanks!Mr Anderson,
I can check on that torque setting for you but hard to believe that's the issue.. are all the shifter pins in tack? Do you have a manual? There's a lot going on inside that tranny and a book with pics and destructions sure does help.
When i head out to the shop I'll try to forward ya some pics.. try sending a pic of your damage..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

adryananderson
12-21-2017, 11:55 PM
I will get you some pictures in the morning, the shift drum stopper sits right behind the drive gear, and that's what the shift stop keeps hitting on an breaking on as far as I can tell I just can't understand why? I have the manual for this atc aswell.

An the only thing I could think of unless the drive gear is warped but i have taken a true edge to it an it is flat...
thank you very much!

adryananderson
12-21-2017, 11:56 PM
The stopper prawl hits the drive gear and shears into pieces is what I'm assuming is happening I just don't understand why?

lndy650
12-22-2017, 12:03 AM
if your not missing any parts according to the above diagram then something must be wore/bent/broken. Take pics of all the parts layed out and of where it sets in the case and we should be able to find your issue buddy.

edit: did you have the gears out of the transmission? I would check and make sure the gears and all the thrust washers are properly installed. One missing washer can wreak havoc.

Black_Widow
12-22-2017, 11:30 AM
There's gotta be something missing or out of alignment. This problem is usually associated with the 125m bottom ends where it shears off the stopper from the case. The 110s I have owned have never been plagued with this issue.

lndy650
12-22-2017, 07:11 PM
OP did you get pics?

adryananderson
12-29-2017, 08:54 PM

Having some issues with getting it to upload, if this doesn't show it I'll send another... thank you the shift stopper arm is in the other shop I'll get a pic asap:)

DAM shop
12-29-2017, 11:41 PM
Boy I tell you what Mr. Anderson that is some DAM damage for sure.. don't really have an answer for ya at this time, look for something bent. Do you have a manual ?some good pics and breakdowns of parts you could compare to.. I gotta believe something is bent or missing, something as simple as a washer or shim would do it.. I'll check the book tomorrow see if something triggers a thought..:idea:

adryananderson
12-30-2017, 01:21 PM
What I have came to the conclusion of until I get the parts in the mail, the bolt that holds it all together has play in it so we ordered a new one so I'll get more pics and let everyone know how it goes and everything is still flat an flush it's just wore from previous owners riding with broken parts in it..... thanks!