PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler pulling hard to the right on pavement?

hotscrape
12-23-2017, 09:59 PM
I recently found a mint barn find it is a 200s
The guy put a new left tire on it and a new one
In front all are same as original. If I drive it on pavement
It wants to pull hard to the right? I’ve tried diff air pressure.
Sounds like a dumb
Question but is driving me nuts trying to figure it out.
Machine is mint with low hours so doubt it’s
Bushings. There is a tube in the right tire but figured
That wouldn’t have much to do with it. Any help
Would be great sorry for long post.

hublake
12-23-2017, 11:14 PM
Make sure the tires have the same air pressure in them.

AMK
12-24-2017, 12:08 AM
With a new tire on one side and an old one on the other I'd go for the same height or circumference instead of pressure.

lndy650
12-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Ya if the tire on the left has more tread its going to pull to the right. If the left tire is still like new id buy another for the right but if its already wore your gonna have to get 2 new tires if you wanna do it right and have no pull.

barnett468
12-25-2017, 01:22 AM
inflate both rear tires until they are both the same circumference and try it. If it still pulls hard to the side something is bent and/or the axles are out of square and it is then not quite as mint as you think it is.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

hotscrape
12-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Ok thanks guys. I’ll put new tire on right side appreciate the help.

lndy650
12-25-2017, 09:56 PM
im thinking thats gotta be the issue if theres a decent tread difference. when the rear bearings go bad you can usually tell just by trying to wiggle the rear end back n forth.
Question does it still pull to the right if your in a wheelie?

MonroeMike
12-25-2017, 10:40 PM
If, after getting them the same height, it still pulls to the right, I would swap the rear tires and then see if it pulls to the left (or not).

lndy650
12-25-2017, 11:08 PM
you cant just try to use different psi to even them out thats guess work at best better off buying another new tire so even if that isn't the issue at least you've ruled it out. You'll be there all day fartin' around trying to get the right tire pressure and if they are rounded knobbies then you'll have less tire mass touching on one side and so on.

Rob Canadian
12-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Are the rear tires the same ply?

Why is there a tube in the right tire? Figured the guy would have replaced all 3 tires...

barnett468
12-26-2017, 04:09 AM
If, after getting them the same height, it still pulls to the right, I would swap the rear tires and then see if it pulls to the left (or not).

yup, this also but only after you inflate them to the same circumference.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :Bounce

MonroeMike
12-26-2017, 04:37 AM
That's what I meant by height, if they are both aired up to, let's say 22" tall, from the bottom of the tire to the top of the tire, wouldn't they be the same circumference?

spacerust
12-26-2017, 09:04 AM
One of my trikes, when I first got it, did the same thing. I thought it was the rear bearings, but it turned out to be the front one. I didn’t feel any wiggle in it, but I was determined to figure it out. When I took the front wheel off, only then was I able to see that the bearing was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lndy650
12-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Like i said trying to get the right height with different psi is guess work and one might end up with less tread in contact which will also change things its just not feasible. you might as well just buy a new tire even if thats not the main cause at least its taken care of. And like spacerust explained it could be the front thats why i said try doing a wheelie if it rides true in a wheelie its a front end problem either spindle bearings or axle bearings.
But i guarantee if the tire isn't the main problem its a contributing issue and they aren't that expensive so it would be the wise choice to just replace it and be done with that aspect of the problem.

barnett468
12-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Like i said trying to get the right height with different psi is guess work...

Well, I for one said to measure the circumference not height/diameter, and there is nearly zero guess measuring it the way I suggested unless someone is unable to read the numbers on the measuring tape correctly.

...and one might end up with less tread in contact which will also change things its just not feasible.

Wrong, it is definitely feasible.

And like spacerust explained it could be the front...

ummm...my post also suggests it could be the front.

...thats why i said try doing a wheelie if it rides true in a wheelie its a front end problem

This is what is not feasible and it may NOT determine anything of value, because in addition to a potential difference in tire circumference of the tires if they are not measured first, this "test" also relies upon a perfectly centered weight distribution from side to side.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR :lock:

fabiodriven
12-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Very feasible for two tires to have two different contact patches and track straight with two different pressures. I've seen it many, many times. My current SX rider I've been riding for over five years still has the original OEM Ohtsu 22x11x8 pro-vectors. From the time I got it, if you filled both rear tires to the same pressure, it would always pull to one side. This is because one tire is slightly larger in diameter than the other, and that's most likely due to one tire having been over-inflated at one point or another.

You are looking to match the circumference, not the pressures. I had to get used to one of my rear tires being lower in pressure than the other because now when you're turning the two tires will behave differently depending on which way you turn, but I have no problem dealing with that and I'm far more concerned with the machine tracking straight.

Buying a new tire will likely help if the existing tire that you're keeping is a fairly new tire, but even still, there could still be a difference in tire diameter between the two because they're from two different batches and one has been ridden on as well as inflated for some time now.

Regardless of what you do, it's very simple to just fill one tire or deflate the other until the bike tracks straight.

lndy650
12-26-2017, 08:43 PM
barnett im not sure why your turning this into a pissing match but whatever. what im saying is if you dick around with air pressure and a measure tape even if you get it close with rounded tires which i almost guarantee is whats on the trike one tire will have a wider area touching the ground and when you hit the gas its still going to pull. Can you spend enough time doing that halfassed crap to get it close? ya you probably can but nothing bothers me more than a cob job. so ya if your ok with having mismatched psi and uneven tires i guess you could make it liveable but for me its not acceptable and im just trying to help the OP do the job correctly. I guess working on other peoples things for a living makes me that way.

And im sorry i didnt credit you for also mentioning that it could be the front. Im not trying to insult anyones intelligence but the fact is these psi and circumference measurements are cheap and not the correct way to fix the problem. Im a firm believer if your going to offer advice to someone on a forum dont offer halfassed cheap advice.

barnett468
12-26-2017, 10:19 PM
barnett im not sure why your turning this into a pissing match but whatever.

ummm...that is an assumption which is inaccurate. Rule number 1 is never make assumptions like you obviously are if at all possible.

Im a firm believer if your going to offer advice to someone on a forum dont offer halfassed cheap advice.

Well since my advice is not halfassed, it's obvious you are not referring to me, and just because you may not understand the purpose of others advice, it certainly does not mean it is halfassed either.

lndy650
12-26-2017, 10:42 PM
im not going to argue with you. bottom line is having tires with substantially different amounts of tread and trying to compensate by using psi and a measure tape is definitely half assed! maybe even quarter assed! if a customer brought a wheeler in with that problem and i offered your solution guaranteed they would give me a funny look and leave. just buy a new set of tires why cob your wheeler. its like tying up your muffler with fencing wire ya it works but its going to vibrate and wear out all the joints.
but im done here ive given my advice and thats all i can do who am i to say what you should do in this situation i mean i was already 10 when i rebuilt my first atc what do i know.

barnett468
12-26-2017, 11:06 PM
who am i to say what you should do in this situation i mean i was already 10 when i rebuilt my first atc what do i know.

Yes, I saw that and I think you did a fine job! https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/Smileys/smilies/thumbsup.gif

..........https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFfBOjiMiJD4TfbS8_jfyQ5HdDtHIp_ aJK9E-nNwSGkjJGTgqiwA

Jd110
12-27-2017, 12:08 AM
This was the issue I had when I joined. It was also suggested that I check circumference. They were about an inch different. More air in one of them fixed it. So grateful for that because the tread was good and I didn't want to throw them out. Been dealing with it for 2 1/2 years and it's a non-issue.

In this case, I think Indy is offering good advice. I thank you for that! I'm going to shop for new tires, soon.

barnett468
12-27-2017, 12:25 AM
In this case, I think Indy is offering good advice. I thank you for that!

...try doing a wheelie if it rides true in a wheelie its a front end problem...

If ya think that is sound advice I got some swamp land in Florida I think you should buy.

...http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/l/laughing/graphics-laughing-867787.gif

lndy650
12-27-2017, 12:26 AM
I may just be a perfectionist lol. Idk ever since I started doing mechanics as a job 10 years ago I just like to do things right. Im not gonna lie as a kid i did some really sketchy things to my own stuff.
When i was 13 i took the cold start setup off our farms tractor (you can hook a can of starting fluid to it and it connects a fitting to the intake manifold) I hooked it up on the handlebars of my rm125 and put the hose with a fitting to the manifold and a T fitting with a smaller hose hooked to an air vent on the carb so when spraying the starting fluid it would pressurize the float bowl and add extra fuel to help lubricate the cylinder(starting fluid drys out cylinders really fast)

barnett468
12-27-2017, 12:41 AM
I may just be a perfectionist lol.

I see that we both at least agree that comment is funny, lol.

yaegerb
12-27-2017, 01:04 AM
To the op, you should have enough information here to move forward.