PDA

View Full Version : Triggered...Snowflakes melt over the 2017 deer harvest

Mosh
12-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Now that I got yalls tension..I still like to post some interesting things these days. I no longer have 20 gagillion trikes and bikes, down to just a handfull and my riding these days consist mostly of lethargic 4wd coffee table to haul equipment in and out of the woods for rewards such as these.

I let the air out of this guy mid November with a Compound bow at 30 yards..Then Mrs Mosh cuz she is the baddest chick on the planet, had to just best me 2 weeks later with a shotgun, My kid got his first this year, and I had room for one more giant doe at the end of gun season. Plenty of jerky for the trail rides this summer. And My uncle taught me everything I know.

lndy650
12-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Those are some nice deer! I wanted to go sit tonight but its negative 8 here!

Mosh
12-28-2017, 06:59 PM
Those are some nice deer! I wanted to go sit tonight but its negative 8 here!

What would uncle Joe do???

No seriously, we were lucky to get it done in decent temps, but we spent easy a combined 200 hours in the stand this year .We have sat in that nasty cold before and it plain sucks, unless you hit payday...Good luck to the rest of ya's

lndy650
12-28-2017, 07:26 PM
well the deer are usually moving when its cold so the odds are pretty good but i just cant deal with below zero temps anymore. When i was younger id have been out until dark.

3 Wheel Drive
12-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Is that you in the sand behind uncle Joe? :wondering

DAM shop
12-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Dude that pic of uncle Joe is great.. :lol:

Mosh
12-28-2017, 08:30 PM
Is that you in the sand behind uncle Joe? :wondering

And mrs mosh

Rob Canadian
12-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Nice score(s). I am not a hunter myself but have friends that are. I fired my first gun last year and I am 45+. It was just a .22.

Was your uncle Joe sitting you at the time of the picture? LOL

El Camexican
12-29-2017, 12:09 AM
I shot a nice doe like that once. I wanted to mount it, but there were other hunters watching. :naughty:

bkm
12-29-2017, 01:00 AM
Nice kills. I've got a couple more weeks left to try and bag one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mosh
12-29-2017, 08:09 AM
UUmm ...........i was kinda fond of bamby........i hate punk arse bamby killers like you .........think i`ll throw up on your family pic`s now ! .........stop killing innocent animals ........Mush ! ......your the kid with his feet up in dee air !!! ...

Cant tell if you are being sarcastic, or really feel that way, but if you do I am prepared to have a civilized debate with you on the topic of hunting.
I know most anti hunters never take time to read these little facts, But I post em anyway.

Do you realize legal hunters pumped 49 billion into this economy this year alone?
Do you realize urban western society sprawl, overpopulation, environmental hazards are responsible for more wild animal deaths than deer hunting? Take a look at the map. Deer are abundant everywhere except CA and outlying areas. Another fun fact, every year 18 million hunters get in and out of the woods without burning them to the ground. Yuppie campers in CA cant seam to go out one weekend in a toy hauler, without torching down half the friggin state..

Do your realize at the turn of the 19th century,, the whitetail deer population was 300,000. Through controlled hunting regulations and conservation the population is now over 30 million deer.

Overpopulation of deer actually kills them off more with diseases that infest the herd if not controlled number wise.

Deer rarely live longer than 7 years before natural causes of death take over . It is not like we are breaking up monogamous 30 year families.

Hunters also take out other invasive species, such as wolves, coyotes, ground varmit, rattle snakes.
Hunters are primarily responsible for the protection of the 2nd ammendment and once again pump billions of revenue into that industry as well.

Deer cost auto insurance billions per year in vehicle damages due to collisions. Those fees are spread across the entire paying public. Car versus deer deaths are estimated to take out 20% of the population in some states, with hunters controlling the numbers. The over all hunter population was responsible for 10% of loss of the population in 2016. So who really is killing bambi more?

Whitetail deer carry ticks that spread nasty lifelong diseases. Diseases much like you have..Chronic moronic thought process, unable to communicate in any sensible dialogue, short of plagiarizing dumb ass song lyrics, and lack of basic control of bodily functions which result in shatting all over the places you visit.

We eat the deer. Every ounce of it, my wife uses the hides, we repurpose the feet and antlers to make hangers and furniture...We take what we can eat, no more for sport only. I give deer fair chase by using a bow and arrow. I prefer it over a gun. I dont bait my deer, I study them all year and actually hunt them. I do not get 20 drunkin idiots pushing them through the woods and wait to shoot one.
I suppose you fall into the idiot majority of anti hunters that think seafood you eat was killed very softly, or that steak you eat was tranquilized peacefully before it was pumped full of cancerous coloring agents, preservatives, and imported from china. I suppose you feel that meat should be bought at the store " where it is made " under humane conditions..
A country boy can survive mo fucka...what yo gonna do when the lights go out?

Scootertrash
12-29-2017, 08:31 AM
Nice deer Mosh. I got skunked this year.

You aren't actually going to try to engage in an intelligent conversation with glamy are you? :wondering;)

redsox
12-29-2017, 10:27 AM
Can i agree with everything you said Mosh and still not be a hunter? Because I don't hunt. My dad doesn't, and his dad didn't. I'm not the least bit against it,,, i just don't do it.

El Camexican
12-29-2017, 11:40 AM
So lets see the Ted Nugent school of Douchebaggery .........clean gun , sharp knife and a clean hanky = Mosh , Scootertrash , Nico Suave , redsox , bkm ...........all my pals..........glad i won`t be crossing the Mississippi anytime soon .......i love your hate for me and Ca. ........i hate whatever you like.........fa fa fa fa fa fa-q !!!:):):):Bounce:):):)

Cheer up Glamy! Take the day off, put some rubber boots on and go to the nearest slaughter house and check out your next steak while it's still on the hoof.... standing in 12" of it's own sh*t and eating some sort of pre-confabulated antibiotic laced protein dust while it waits for a spike in the skull.

After that if you find yourself drawn towards forest fresh venison you can always watch a Bambi rerun to level you out.

bkm
12-29-2017, 11:42 AM
You won't have to cross the Mississippi to watch me spill a pile of deer guts in the woods. We're both west of it buddy.

Scootertrash
12-29-2017, 11:46 AM
So lets see the Ted Nugent school of Douchebaggery .........clean gun , sharp knife and a clean hanky = Mosh , Scootertrash , Nico Suave , redsox , bkm ...........all my pals..........glad i won`t be crossing the Mississippi anytime soon .......i love your hate for me and Ca. ........i hate whatever you like.........fa fa fa fa fa fa-q !!!:):):):Bounce:):):)

Oohh deer!

Mosh
12-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Can i agree with everything you said Mosh and still not be a hunter? Because I don't hunt. My dad doesn't, and his dad didn't. I'm not the least bit against it,,, i just don't do it. Certainly. I never hunted either, nor did anyone in my direct family in recent history. I feel there are those that do and do not.
I get irritated though when anti hunters try to pass judgment on those that do. Kinda like when a reformed smoker goes on a pilgrimage to condemn those that still do, or the way people preach biblical stuff to those that don't wanna hear it. I did not post to shove hunting down peoples throats. There was a time on this forum you could post your interests and experiences without the snowflakes being "triggered" or the thread being derailed into oblivion.

I spent a lot of my life chasing things that I thought made me happy and proud at the time. I started hunting just 4 years ago. I spent 20 plus years building trikes and bikes and riding and camping. As far as I am concerned, the thrill of watching deer, a large buck, come in the woods, sneak around your stand 20 feet in the air in the dark shadows of early morning, turkeys crashing into the forest floor, bucks fighting each other to near death over a doe in heat, the culmination of drawing a bow and arrow, making the shot and harvesting the fruits of labor and savoring that clean healthy meat....Blows most other thrills out of the water. From drag racing cars, climbing giant mountains on a ATV, racing trikes, building trikes, etc..You name it..

For me that moment...Is the largest rush and thrill I have ever had in my existence on this rock.
It is a lifestyle..It is not just sitting in a good ambush spot for the sake of killing a animal for pure sport 1 week out of the year. You spend all year in the woods scouting preparing, learning. Not at the bar, strip club, congesting traffic, making meth, doing drugs. You are out there, alone. You find out a lot about yourself as a human being in those hours of sitting in silence surrounded by nature. You see beautiful sunrises and sunsets, strange animals and bugs, Hunting antlers that have been shed, learning wildlife and natural environmental things around you. It is a lifestyle. One that yields the ultimate buzz for me anyway, like finding a rare NOS trike gem at a flea market.

I wouldn't piss and moan about a skydiver spewing jet fuel into the air needlessly, or trikers running race gas that contains lead, or running over plants in the woods. People do what makes them happy. Some do not like to see others happy, usually because they are unhappy themselves. I know I am doing what I want, it is legal, healthy, and lets face it..Hunting tags -fees and monetary dues, do go back into the system to keep riding parks and forest services open. You hunt or do not. If you don't you should not piss down the back of those that do.

lndy650
12-29-2017, 01:34 PM
nice post mosh i agree completely. "country boy can survive, what are you gonna do when your lights go out" lol i love it

redsox
12-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Agree completely mosh. I was in the woods today. Love it. It gets my head right and theres more God there then any church i've ever been in. (not being preachy) I've shot my share of nuance animals. Killed a lot of skunk. Shot quite a few squirrels as well. I love shooting and have done it my entire life. How old were you when you started hunting? Maybe its not too late for me.

ironchop
12-29-2017, 03:22 PM
I want an Elk. They have an Elk tag lottery here in KY that I need to win

I tried killing my own chickens but the grocery store always gets so upset about that. Monopolizers of Death, every one.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
12-29-2017, 03:33 PM
I tried killing my own chickens but the grocery store always gets so upset about that. Monopolizers of Death, every one.

Paul Reubens ruined public chicken choking for everybody.

ironchop
12-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Paul Reubens ruined public chicken choking for everybody.Yeah it changed the way I think of theater popcorn too

Arky-X
12-29-2017, 03:37 PM
Cant tell if you are........being sarcastic,...............or really feel that way,..............but if you do I am prepared to have a civilized debate........with you on the topic of hunting.........I know most anti hunters.........never take time..............to read these little facts,..............But I post em anyway.

Do you realize.............legal hunters pumped 49 billion...........into this economy this year alone?
Do you realize.............urban western society sprawl,...........overpopulation,.........environm ental hazards are responsible...........for more wild animal deaths than.........deer hunting?.................Take a look at the map.............Deer are abundant everywhere..............except CA and outlying areas...........Another fun fact,......every year 18 million hunters............get in and out of the woods............without burning them to the ground................Yuppie campers in CA cant seam to go..............out one weekend in a toy hauler,..............without torching down half the friggin state..........

Do your realize at the turn of the 19th century,................the whitetail deer population was 300,000...................Through controlled hunting regulations...........and conservation the population is now...............over 30 million deer.

Overpopulation of deer..............actually kills them off................more with diseases that infest the herd.............if not controlled number wise.

Deer rarely live longer than 7 years..............before natural causes of death take over.............It is not like we are breaking up monogamous..........30 year families.

Hunters also take out..............other invasive species,...........such as wolves,..............coyotes,............ground varmit, rattle snakes..........
Hunters are primarily responsible............for the protection of the 2nd ammendment.............and once again pump billions of revenue............into that industry as well.

Deer cost auto insurance............billions per year in vehicle damages............due to collisions..............Those fees are spread across............the entire paying public............Car versus deer deaths are estimated..............to take out 20% of the population............in some states,...........with hunters controlling the numbers...........The over all hunter population was responsible...............for 10% of loss............of the population...........in 2016.............So who really is killing bambi more?

Whitetail deer carry ticks............that spread nasty lifelong diseases..............Diseases much like you have...........Chronic moronic thought process,..........unable to communicate in any sensible dialogue,............short of plagiarizing dumb ass song lyrics,.............and lack of basic control............of bodily functions which result in...........shatting all over the places you visit.

We eat the deer...........Every ounce of it,............my wife uses the hides,............we repurpose the feet.............and antlers...........to make hangers and furniture.............We take what we can eat,............no more for sport only.............I give deer fair chase by using a......bow......and....arrow.......I prefer it over a gun........I dont bait my deer,.............I study them all year.............and actually hunt them.............I do not get 20 drunkin idiots............pushing them through.................the woods and wait to shoot one.
I suppose you fall into the idiot majority...............of anti hunters...........that think seafood you eat was killed very softly,.............or that steak you eat was tranquilized peacefully.............before it was pumped full of cancerous coloring agents,............preservatives,.........and imported from china...........I suppose you feel that meat..........should be bought at the store.............." where it is made ".........under humane conditions......
A country boy...........can survive..........mo fucka..........what yo gonna do.........when the lights go out?

Maybe that will help.........your argument

ironchop
12-29-2017, 03:41 PM
The Butcher: Knock, knock

Moo Cows: who's there?

The Butcher: A Spike to the head. Let me in

https://youtu.be/8xyvOCNCXdU

lndy650
12-29-2017, 03:44 PM
Mosh is that a gut shot on that doe or just looks that way?

Mosh
12-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Mosh is that a gut shot on that doe or just looks that way?

That was exit. 12 gauge, hit both lungs, clipped the stomach on exit. She piled up in 30 yds in under 45 seconds

Mosh
12-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Agree completely mosh. I was in the woods today. Love it. It gets my head right and theres more God there then any church i've ever been in. (not being preachy) I've shot my share of nuance animals. Killed a lot of skunk. Shot quite a few squirrels as well. I love shooting and have done it my entire life. How old were you when you started hunting? Maybe its not too late for me.

Late 30s....

Mosh
12-29-2017, 08:10 PM

You have elk in KY? They are making their way back down to these parts. That meat is soo friggin tasty.
We have free range chickens. Deer sausage, buttermilk biscuits, fresh chicken egg breakfast sammich, you can go til dinner on that protein bomb

ironchop
12-29-2017, 08:32 PM
You have elk in KY? They are making their way back down to these parts. That meat is soo friggin tasty.
We have free range chickens. Deer sausage, buttermilk biscuits, fresh chicken egg breakfast sammich, you can go til dinner on that protein bombHell yeah. Out in Eric Banks and Mollies neighborhood is where they allow elk hunting.

It's tough because about 85K people are trying to win less than a couple thousand tags. Then the tags were in the $500 + EACH tag so it's not cheap. I know two guys who both hit the lottery and they both hired guides. Only one of them filled his tags that season.

Kentucky DNR knows that Elk roam large areas and on their own PBS show a few years back, they said if you catch an Elk outside that zone and it was causing agricultural damage, you were allowed to shoot and butcher it as long as you reported the incident to them OR you could call them and they come try to capture it to restock the Elk zone. You can hunt them outside of the quota zone too in private land but I think that's a different deal than the quota hunt lottery. They want to keep the herds inside that area if they can because they would cause havoc if they succeeded in reintroducing themselves elsewhere in the state. There's quite a few in Western Kentucky too as well as a protected herd inside Land Between the Lakes park.

Edit to add link because rules may have changed since three years ago...

https://fw.ky.gov/hunt/pages/elk-hunting-regs.aspx

It's awesome meat. I buy elk as much as I can. We have an awesome game meat store in town. I get my gator meat there too. Between Elk and Bison, I'm ruined as far as enjoying beef. I already liked white tail better than beef but Elk beats Buffalo and buffalo beats deer so beef is just taco meat now.

Mosh
12-29-2017, 08:44 PM
We have a great butcher shop also that sells Elk and Bison. You really can't beat that stuff, but expensive as hell.

I hear ya on the crop damage. I have a farmer that owns 180 acres, that deer and geese damage apprx 10k a year. Elk in my state would be awesome. Cougars, bobcats and black bears are just starting to make appearances again. Still on endangered list.

Scootertrash
12-29-2017, 08:48 PM

Is that one of those "win the Lotto once and you're done type things"? That's the way the Moose lottery is up here, or at least used to be a few years ago. I doubt it's changed.

ironchop
12-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Is that one of those "win the Lotto once and you're done type things"? That's the way the Moose lottery is up here, or at least used to be a few years ago. I doubt it's changed.I think you're ineligible for three consecutive years after a win.

Scootertrash
12-29-2017, 09:25 PM
That's not too bad. At least you can get another chance.

bkm
12-29-2017, 09:33 PM
I like this thread title so much better.

lndy650
12-29-2017, 09:59 PM
ok that makes sense i thought you got that one with a bow. Ive never bow hunted but i want to. My big thing is side lock and flint lock muzzleloaders with no modern sights. i carry one reload for my .58 caliber hawkins and a 1851 .44 black powder pistol (6 shot revolver) in case i need to finish one off. And obviously i dont bait or do drives.

sledcrazyinCT
12-29-2017, 10:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

RIDE-RED 250r
12-30-2017, 09:22 PM
Dang Mosh that is one hell of a successful season! Congrats to you all!

I was able to fill my doe tag this year and put some meat in the freezer. It was the first successful hunt with my Winchester 94 Big Bore 375. VERY effective round I should say! Almost had a nice buck the last hour of the season, very disappointing but he lives another year and maybe I'll get another chance next year. Our season ended the first sunday of December. Still wishing I had another week.

Mosh
12-30-2017, 09:49 PM
Good to hear from you Joe. Glad you had some success. Our prior 2 years were pretty bland so this year made up for it. I tried to knock one down with the 44mag SBH hunter, but maybe next year.

coolpool
12-31-2017, 01:00 AM
Very nice deer folks, congratulations! You got the ONLY truly organic meat available in North America; and I'm not even a hippie! We got skunked moose hunting which is uncommon for us but hey, that's hunting. Me and Sam got out for deer a couple of times but we held off for a 140" or better and are now eating tag soup. You get picky, you go hungry, no different than bar hopping :-)

Mosh
12-31-2017, 08:52 AM
Very nice deer folks, congratulations! You got the ONLY truly organic meat available in North America; and I'm not even a hippie! We got skunked moose hunting which is uncommon for us but hey, that's hunting. Me and Sam got out for deer a couple of times but we held off for a 140" or better and are now eating tag soup. You get picky, you go hungry, no different than bar hopping :-)

Thanks. We would like to hunt more species. Really Deer and turkey are about the only edible species here we would hunt. There is other small game, but nothing we are interested in for food.

Our deer here for the most part average around 130 to 140 inches and maybe 225 lbs. 150 class and larger are hard to come across. They are here but our state is over crowded and hunted hard, so they get reclusive, fast or roam off your property. Most land size properties you can hunt here is average maybe just around 100 acres.. I had a giant on cam early season but he left the property. Hope he made another yeat. My deer is about 130, I stopped measuring the wifes at 140" with a little left to measure. Hoping he hits 150". I was after this giant early season but no more pics when the season opened. I hope he made it for next year

coolpool
12-31-2017, 12:37 PM
That would've been a nice score for sure! A guided hunter from Missouri passed up a 170" at the farm I hunt at thinking all deer in Alberta are at least 180"+. He was a little sad when we told him anything above 150" is hard to come by on any given day. I'm not sure if he got anything at all after that?

redsox
01-01-2018, 10:12 AM
My Deer

This was the deal with this guy. I was on my way to work a few weeks back. It was first light and I was getting on the highway and at the top of the ramp, in the high speed shoulder of the road I saw this buck. It looked bigger to me as I passed, but I got enough of a look that I knew it was big. Out of sheer coincidence, a guy that works in my office is a big hunter, and he had killed a doe a few days before. Well, he had called me to tell me he'd be a little late into work on this day because he was headed to his butcher to get his meat. When I saw this deer I called him right away. He was skeptical because he knows that i am full of shite usually and I don't really know much about hunting. I circled around and sent him a pic and he told me to stay there and he'd be right over. He scooped him up and cleaned him in his garage. he called the environmental police and they counted it as a strike so he didn't need to use a tag. He brought it to his butcher and i got to keep the meat. He had the skull mounted up. The last pic is a stew my wife made. Unreal good on these 7º days.

ironchop
01-01-2018, 10:48 AM
My Deer

This was the deal with this guy. I was on my way to work a few weeks back. It was first light and I was getting on the highway and at the top of the ramp, in the high speed shoulder of the road I saw this buck. It looked bigger to me as I passed, but I got enough of a look that I knew it was big. Out of sheer coincidence, a guy that works in my office is a big hunter, and he had killed a doe a few days before. Well, he had called me to tell me he'd be a little late into work on this day because he was headed to his butcher to get his meat. When I saw this deer I called him right away. He was skeptical because he knows that i am full of shite usually and I don't really know much about hunting. I circled around and sent him a pic and he told me to stay there and he'd be right over. He scooped him up and cleaned him in his garage. he called the environmental police and they counted it as a strike so he didn't need to use a tag. He brought it to his butcher and i got to keep the meat. He had the skull mounted up. The last pic is a stew my wife made. Unreal good on these 7º days.Haha......Redsox with the assist...those count too[emoji16]

Glad you didn't let it go to waste in a ditch

Scootertrash
01-01-2018, 01:34 PM
The view from one of my stands in November. I'm a proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals