PDA

View Full Version : Air/Fuel screw '83 Tri-Moto YT 125 missing

benji_snod
01-01-2018, 07:10 PM
hey folks, wondering if anyone would know where i could find a air/fuel screw for the stock mikuni 22mm carb. also the top reed is lifted slightly, should i flip it for better running?

350for350
01-01-2018, 09:38 PM
I'm no help with the screw, but if one of your reeds isn't sealing properly, then I think it's time to replace them all.

lndy650
01-01-2018, 09:50 PM
i dont remember the exact carb on those if you know the model or can find a pic i can help with the screw.
dont flip the reeds it might cause them to eventually break then you have bigger problems.

benji_snod
01-02-2018, 07:47 PM
okay thanks for the tips on the reeds fellas, ill look at a set of aftermarket, possibly boyesen or any other suggestions? i actually solved the problem on the air fuel screw. found the mikuni part number and they use the same screw on a few other carbs so i found a part. thanks again though!! great info here

350for350
01-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Boysen seems to still make a lot of reeds for these older machines and are usually reasonably priced. I'd go with them.

lndy650
01-07-2018, 02:58 AM
i agree i prefer boyesen over any other brand. one of my old bosses was friends with this guy from PA turns out this guy went to school with and is friends with the guy that owns boyesen! i was supposed to get a tour of their factory but never got to go. anyway i always wondered why they didnt make their rage cage for a certain polaris 700 engineand i sent the question up the chain. the owner said that he wouldnt sell anything that didnt outperform stock. so when you find a popular model and you cant get boyesen reeds or only replacement boyesen reeds not power reeds or whatever thats because he couldnt improve over stock. the polaris 700 mentioned happens to have a really good stock reed cage. also my bosses friend said when you walk through their r&d shop there are huge stacks of v-force reeds because they always try to make more power and be more reliable than v-force. also v-force made a set for that polaris engine and it seemed to lose a little throttle response (before i knew all this so it wasnt in my head) its hard to tell seat of the pants if your making or losing a couple horsepower though.
Anyway now that ive just made another super long rant tonight i guess the point of that story is buy boyesen reeds they are hands down the best ive used them since i was a kid and never had a bad experience.

edit: just in case anyone wonders if boyesen had the v-force reeds to copy them i doubt it as their designs arent the slightest bit similar. they needed them to see what the dyno results were as dynos vary in reading and i doubt v-force would give them honest numbers as they definitely dont even give the public honest numbers!