PDA

View Full Version : new to forum

CHARLIE2
01-09-2018, 05:14 PM
hey guys i just became a member when i purchased my 1976 honda atc 90. ive always loved working on motorcycles, trucks, atv's, and anything i can get my hands on that i can rip around on and sling some mud. i purchased my atc 90 knowing it wasnt running (my favorite place to start a project). After a new spark plug and rebuilding the carb and some fresh gas and fixing the timing i was off on my first 3 wheeled ride it was a blast! i ripped it around for hours and then i parked it and she hasnt run since i wasnt getting any spark at the points break, or the plug, nothing. i also wasnt getting anywhere with my carb it re-gummed up so i was going to put a new honda ct90 carb on it, that i had sitting on my shelf for a while (aftermarket but for the same year as the 3 wheeler) will this be an issue or will it work on my atc90? also i purchased a new point break to put on it to see if i can get my spark back i havent put it in yet ive been too busy but i want to get back on this thing soon. so my next question would be how can i go from running pretty well to not anymore? could this be an issue with the coil or condenser? and why would it come back to life for 1 day after sitting dead for years and then now not work at all? im kind of stumped at the moment and could use some advice if anybody has some, this is my first 3 wheeler, but it shouldnt be this hard to figure out but im lost lol. im going to finally dive back into it today, thing is i know the light has to be on for it to start and etc so thats not the issue with it im just lost

DAM shop
01-09-2018, 07:19 PM
hey guys i just became a member when i purchased my 1976 honda atc 90. ive always loved working on motorcycles, trucks, atv's, and anything i can get my hands on that i can rip around on and sling some mud. i purchased my atc 90 knowing it wasnt running (my favorite place to start a project). After a new spark plug and rebuilding the carb and some fresh gas and fixing the timing i was off on my first 3 wheeled ride it was a blast! i ripped it around for hours and then i parked it and she hasnt run since i wasnt getting any spark at the points break, or the plug, nothing. i also wasnt getting anywhere with my carb it re-gummed up so i was going to put a new honda ct90 carb on it, that i had sitting on my shelf for a while (aftermarket but for the same year as the 3 wheeler) will this be an issue or will it work on my atc90? also i purchased a new point break to put on it to see if i can get my spark back i havent put it in yet ive been too busy but i want to get back on this thing soon. so my next question would be how can i go from running pretty well to not anymore? could this be an issue with the coil or condenser? and why would it come back to life for 1 day after sitting dead for years and then now not work at all? im kind of stumped at the moment and could use some advice if anybody has some, this is my first 3 wheeler, but it shouldnt be this hard to figure out but im lost lol. im going to finally dive back into it today, thing is i know the light has to be on for it to start and etc so thats not the issue with it im just lost

Welcome Charlie,
The key ingredients to any motor spark and fuel.. I would start with the basics, new plug to start with, pull the plug wire cap make sure you have good wires, are all of your connections good? Start with the obvious and easiest first.. it just takes time and is usually something pretty simple.. as for the carb stick with what ya got, did you clean your tank? How about a couple of new inline filters? If you put on another carb without doing the above you'll still have the same problems with your fuel.. do a little investigation for the spark, you'll get it .

CHARLIE2
01-10-2018, 03:28 PM
You're absolutely right i just need to slow down and start with those things i did check my plug (which was new) and it has very weak spark so im going to pick up a new one and im going to drain and clean the tank (forgot to think about that step)thanks for the tips and help ill repost once ive done some extensive cleaning and checking and continue on from there

Joseph Farrow
01-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Welcome. You gotta love the 90's.

CHARLIE2
01-11-2018, 03:37 PM
i definitely do love the little 90 hahaha, so after extensive cleaning again i put on the ct90 carb and a new plug and rechecked my timing, i got her to run on the 5th pull for a few seconds before she bogged out and couldnt get her going again i removed the new plug to check it and it was blacker than night and it was (im going to say) oily, so thinking to myself how would oil be getting in the cylinder? my thought on this is maybe the piston rings are bad and i should replace them, does this sound like my next step or could it be something else thats letting oil in?

CHARLIE2
01-11-2018, 03:44 PM
i say its oily because besides the black color when i wiped the plug clean there was a hint of auburn color on my rag as well

DAM shop
01-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Ummmm, well even needing rings it should still run.. how is your oil level? You know that when you check the oil you don't screw the dip stick down you just rest it on the case..what type of air filter you running? Did it smoke when it ran now or before? Oil in your exhaust pipe ? Did you do a compression test?
I suppose it could use ring's or maybe a stuck valve.. have you checked the valves? Would be worth doing before ripping into it..

Did you put on some fuel filters?

CHARLIE2
01-12-2018, 04:43 PM
yes i put in in-line fuel filters and no it didnt smoke other than the initial first turn over after sitting dead for years,when it ran (the one time that it has) it ran with no smoking, even when i got it to run again for the few seconds before it bogged out there was no smoke just exhaust, its cold outside so i cant say for sure if it was burning oil or not i had just assumed it was because of the condition of my spark plug. and yes my oil level is good and at the correct amount (oil change was the first thing i did before starting it after i bought it) this is why im lost as to what is going on with it, i will check my valves and do a compression test before ripping into the cylinder, also side note, it is pretty darn hard to find parts for it (like the piston rings) without getting a new piston and boring the cylinder to make it fit (which is something im trying not to do). the air filter is cone style that came with the new carb that i put on, so the stock original is not on it (could that be an issue? should i go back to the original air filter and ditch the one that came with the carb?) ill dive back into it over the weekend and see what else could possibly be going on such as valves, compression, etc. so summed up it has fresh gas, fresh oil, new points, new carb, new air filter, and ive reset the timing according to the original manual that i downloaded, and i just cant get it going... i was skeptical about the aftermarket carb i put on but it did run with the new carb, but after bogging out and not running again im lost lol

Rob Canadian
01-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Did you put the new points in and set them? Does it have a kill switch? Contacts clean?

I really would not worry too much about the black plug/oily. May have some bad valve seals or whatever. It only ran for a couple seconds.

How is the fuel tank(?) Fuel flow(?)

DAM shop
01-12-2018, 07:53 PM
yes i put in in-line fuel filters and no it didnt smoke other than the initial first turn over after sitting dead for years,when it ran (the one time that it has) it ran with no smoking, even when i got it to run again for the few seconds before it bogged out there was no smoke just exhaust, its cold outside so i cant say for sure if it was burning oil or not i had just assumed it was because of the condition of my spark plug. and yes my oil level is good and at the correct amount (oil change was the first thing i did before starting it after i bought it) this is why im lost as to what is going on with it, i will check my valves and do a compression test before ripping into the cylinder, also side note, it is pretty darn hard to find parts for it (like the piston rings) without getting a new piston and boring the cylinder to make it fit (which is something im trying not to do). the air filter is cone style that came with the new carb that i put on, so the stock original is not on it (could that be an issue? should i go back to the original air filter and ditch the one that came with the carb?) ill dive back into it over the weekend and see what else could possibly be going on such as valves, compression, etc. so summed up it has fresh gas, fresh oil, new points, new carb, new air filter, and ive reset the timing according to the original manual that i downloaded, and i just cant get it going... i was skeptical about the aftermarket carb i put on but it did run with the new carb, but after bogging out and not running again im lost lolCT 90 carb that came with cone air filter, ummmmm.... Sounds Chinese aftermarket.. some of those carbs are okay but believe me tried and tested over the years most are junk..
If it were me I would clean and rebuild if needed the original carb and yes go back to the original air box.. I wouldn't run an external air filter unless you are modified running a mikuni carb for instance..
Not sure if anyone else wants to jump in here but my guess is all carb and.....
How about your timing chain? Did you check that for tightness? Maybe it's loose and jumped a tooth, that will give ya fits and throw everything off..
Carb, air filter and timing chain, yep that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'll bet money on it..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CHARLIE2
01-22-2018, 05:24 PM
hey guys thanks again for the continued help i havent had much time to get back to it since work has picked up and ive been crazy busy but i did dive right back into her yesterday and heres what i got to... i put the original carb back on after taring it completely apart again but this time i got a rebuild kit and replaced all the jets, needles, and seals so fingers crossed that will be it i also got the factory air box back on, i put on the new condenser i had already bought i also cleaned up all the connectors and such on the coil and wires since i had it out already... and my timing (chain, flywheel) is right where i had left it and i rechecked my points gap and and cleaned out my fuel tank and checked my fuel filters so i think im golden, now all i have to do is throw it all back together and see what happens ill update again when i get back to it, thank you again for all the help and tips youve given me i really appreciate it... (side note) even though ive only ridden it once ive definitely caught 3 wheeler fever lol i got my wife into the mix and over the weekend she was turning wrenches right there with me and loving it just as much as i do, now weve decided us and our kids are going to be a 3 wheeler family so if anyone knows where i could pick up a few more, fixer uppers or complete ready to go 3 wheelers that arent crazy expensive let me know im looking for any brand, model, or year... thanks guys

DAM shop
01-22-2018, 06:49 PM
hey guys thanks again for the continued help i havent had much time to get back to it since work has picked up and ive been crazy busy but i did dive right back into her yesterday and heres what i got to... i put the original carb back on after taring it completely apart again but this time i got a rebuild kit and replaced all the jets, needles, and seals so fingers crossed that will be it i also got the factory air box back on, i put on the new condenser i had already bought i also cleaned up all the connectors and such on the coil and wires since i had it out already... and my timing (chain, flywheel) is right where i had left it and i rechecked my points gap and and cleaned out my fuel tank and checked my fuel filters so i think im golden, now all i have to do is throw it all back together and see what happens ill update again when i get back to it, thank you again for all the help and tips youve given me i really appreciate it... (side note) even though ive only ridden it once ive definitely caught 3 wheeler fever lol i got my wife into the mix and over the weekend she was turning wrenches right there with me and loving it just as much as i do, now weve decided us and our kids are going to be a 3 wheeler family so if anyone knows where i could pick up a few more, fixer uppers or complete ready to go 3 wheelers that arent crazy expensive let me know im looking for any brand, model, or year... thanks guysHey Charlie,
Good to hear man, I'm pretty sure she will fire right up for ya, if not let us know.. did you get those filters on? And did you tighten your timing chain?...
Pretty[emoji41] your wife is there helping. Exactly how we caught the bug 25+ years ago.
Not sure of your location but I have pretty good luck on C.L for used trikes.. let us know if we can be of further assistance..
Ride on brother

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk