PDA

View Full Version : Tri Z question

dstryr
01-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Hey, joined a while back and now I have a few questions cuz I want to be riding before the snow melts..

Long long ago I had an '85 225DX which I traded for a paint job on my first car summer of '86..

Okay, enough ancient history. I bought a couple of Tri Zs plus a bent frame, engine/trans, swingarm, and a box of stuff.

The runner is an 86 but low compression and I do not know the bore size and if it can take another bore.

The other stuff is all '85. The complete '85 does not shift, suspect a bent shift fork, but its tight, motor has great compression.

I haven't screwed with the bare engine/trans but it seems like compression is decent.

Question is, and I have very little experience with 2 stroke bikes, can I use the piston and jug off one of the other engines and just bolt and go( assuming fresh gaskets)? Any issue with throwing a piston on a different connecting rod without having it checked- again assuming its not sloppy loose or tight on the wrist pin?

Thanks

Tri-Z 250
01-09-2018, 07:54 PM
The jugs are identical and are interchangeable if that's what your asking. Motor mounts are the same for both years as well. Research interchangable part for Tri-Z in the forums good read.

dstryr
01-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Any reason to Not just swap a good piston and jug onto the running machine rather than do a top end rebuild? I can't verify the original jug on the 86 has room for another bore. But, the jug and piston on the 85 with shifter problems has great compression and starts in one or two kicks every time. Wanted to know if swapping the piston and jug from that to the 86 to get running would be unwise for any reason.

fabiodriven
01-10-2018, 12:51 AM
You should have no issues at all according to what that guy is telling you.

bkm
01-10-2018, 12:53 AM
Any reason to Not just swap a good piston and jug onto the running machine rather than do a top end rebuild? I can't verify the original jug on the 86 has room for another bore. But, the jug and piston on the 85 with shifter problems has great compression and starts in one or two kicks every time. Wanted to know if swapping the piston and jug from that to the 86 to get running would be unwise for any reason.Tri-z 250 was confirming what you are asking. The 85 cylinder will swap on the 86 no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dstryr
01-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys, didn't mean to split hairs, I understand the parts interchange, and it doesn't sound like there's concern on just swapping old parts with respect to clearances on the wrist pin. I'm going to do it, if the pin is sloppy or tight then it needs to come apart anyway.

El Camexican
01-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys, didn't mean to split hairs, I understand the parts interchange, and it doesn't sound like there's concern on just swapping old parts with respect to clearances on the wrist pin. I'm going to do it, if the pin is sloppy or tight then it needs to come apart anyway.

Like everyone said, no problem, but make sure you pressure test for leaks before you run the engine you worked on.