PDA

View Full Version : First ride on atc 125m

Bob Smith
01-27-2018, 01:29 AM
I recently got a atc 125m from an uncle to give to my son. I have never ridden a all terrain vehicle before and neither has he so I'm very concerned that this might be to much of a machine for the both of us.

I really wanted to ride it but my home owners association forbids off road vehicles and I like to obey the rules and respect my neighbors.

I don't own a truck so I bought a trailer hitch for the bike rack on my Toyota Camry and rented a small trailer from U-Haul. I followed all instructions for towing per my owners manual and never exceeded the 45 mph trailer warning. I was nervous at first but I made it to my friends house where I can ride on his property.

This is where the real nerves kicked in. This thing is a rocket ship and probably to fast for my son. It took a little bit to get used to but was fun. I don't know hw many gears it has though but 2nd was fast enough.

I can't wait to get some more seat time but need to make sure I'm not exceeding the manufacturers maximum towing weight on my Camry. My wife would not be pleased it I broke the car. Even though it has a warranty I couldn't expect the dealer to fix it if I disobeyed their recommendation.

fabiodriven
01-27-2018, 01:51 AM
You guys are getting really friggin weird now.

Bob Smith
01-27-2018, 01:57 AM
I don't understand sir.

Bob Smith
01-27-2018, 02:04 AM
I guess it seems weird not being used to the power these machines have. You truly have to respect them.

J.E.
01-27-2018, 12:46 PM
They do take some getting used to. Maybe just putt putt around on it until you get used to how it handles. A 125 is no powerhouse but I guess if you've never been on one it probably seems like it is. You and your son will get the hang of it in no time. Have fun!

Black_Widow
01-27-2018, 02:00 PM
you can move a lever on the bottom left rear of the machine to select “hi” or “lo” on the subtranny. Put it in lo til you get the hang of the handling to make it more manageable.

DAM shop
01-27-2018, 06:32 PM
My head is spinning Bob, please quit..

Bob Smith
01-27-2018, 07:27 PM
Black Widow, thank you for that advise. Low gear seams right up my alley. I'll look for that selector next time I ride it.

Dam Shop I apologize for causing any disruption to this site. My introduction thread got really weird for some reason and now my first ride report has brought angst to the forum.

I am happy to report that according to the certified scales at my local Quick Trip gas station, I am under the limit specified by my vehicles owners manual.

I was planning on riding tomorrow but there is a tri city bowling tournament I cant miss out on. The "Gutter Rats" need their ringer and the family is counting on me.

I'm sorry if I've made any of you mad. Maybe someone can tell me what I've done wrong and I'll gladly change my behavior.

Thanks again for your time.

shortline10
01-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Children playing jokes

Rob Canadian
01-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Can you leave it at your friends place so you do not have to transport it back and forth?
Renting a trailer sucks.

Ride slow. Take your time with your son.

Big G
01-30-2018, 04:17 PM
When I first read this the first thing that came to mind was someone's pulling a prank - you know, making some story to joke around and be funny. But then I realized someone couldn't make this stuff up if he or she tried, so it must be true!

In that case, welcome to the site Mr. Smith!

Bob Smith
02-21-2018, 01:36 PM
I know it's been a while since I posted but my commitments to my church's mens club and our family bowling league have left little in the way of time for the guilty pleasures of off roading.

As I previously mentioned my homeowners association prohibits and kind of off road vehicles and being a stickler for rules I just cant risk taking the 125 for a spin up the street. Hopefully I can get back to my friends property for some ride time between tournament's.