PDA

View Full Version : Pod for Air filter

qs90703
02-04-2018, 04:29 AM
I saw a lot of these air pods on ebay for the atc 200x and was wondering if there was an advantge of having one or is there a downside?

fabiodriven
02-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Using a pod filter has it's advantage of flowing more air but at a cost. It's far more susceptible to mud and water and that particular one you showed would likely let more dust through than the factory airbox. The only times a pod filter is an advantage is when you need more air flow and/or don't have room for an airbox. You'd likely have to correct your jetting for a pod filter as well.

For 90% of the riders out there, for everyday use, trail riding, the factory airbox is your best bet.

Rob Canadian
02-04-2018, 01:21 PM
For 90% of the riders out there, for everyday use, trail riding, the factory airbox is your best bet.

100% agree. I am not a pod fan. I had one on my little quad. Junk in my opinion. I am sure there are different ones on the market. The one I had that came with my little quad did not filter well. I guess I could have run a prefilter on it.

Shawn Powell
02-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Also keep in mind on four strokes they need air volume at mid to high rpm or they fall flat. Think of throttle body spacers. That’s all they do is provide extra volume and most of the time they work. When you delete your air box and I take tube you remove said volume. Pods are not an edge on larger thumpers. Get a k and n filter and remove your lid. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

knappyfeet
02-04-2018, 04:19 PM
I saw a lot of these air pods on ebay for the atc 200x and was wondering if there was an advantge of having one or is there a downside?

Downside.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.......airboxes do WAY more than just house the filter. They are engineered to act as resonators......see helmholtz resonance. There are dyno runs for street bikes that show more horsepower with a k&n style filter and an air box/trumpet than no filter all. Even at wot it's questionable if it "flows better". Even if it flows better....is your 200x going to live in the area of wot all the time? Airboxes are tuned to midrange performance, smoothing out air pulses, optimizing resonating frequencies, etc.

Just some thoughts.

ironchop
02-04-2018, 04:58 PM
I've ran three of these on three 200Xs a few years ago and after a few days at Trikefest, two of the bikes still got silt into the carb. I used Outerwears too but it didn't make much difference. After a week, I had to tear down carbs and clean them.

Even an airbox with no top serves as a pretty good barrier to mud, water, dust, and sand so I ended up going back to using an airbox again.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

fieldy
02-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Is " box resonation " as important on a high performance two stroke or how about the stock kxt and 250r? The air boxes the intake tubes are big and bulky, harder to deal with than a direct clamp on filter. It seems like the track racers usually had the airbox on with holes drilled in the covers. I know the expansion chamber is what its all about but what about the air boxes on two strokes? I always have used airboxes and a oiled foam filter, however tempted to use a clamp on foam filter with no box.
The filter skins always made my Rm doggy and i dont think jetting in would have helped that. K&N has worked well on a 200x. Had it on there for thirty plus years but would try to buy a foam filter/stock airbox before going K&N again.

Shawn Powell
02-04-2018, 07:22 PM
I’m not a fan of filter skins. Always getting clogged. Personally I go old school, k and n filter with a pantyhose pre filter , no lid unless I’m headed out after a big rain. Runs great. To answer your question about the two strokes , I had a custom tube and pod filter on a lt500 quadzilla. At top end it ran better but bottom end suffered. Also mine hung out of the side of the bike. Sucked for everything except drag racing. Put my stock box back on. That bike can burn in hell anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro