PDA

View Full Version : 200x Petcock question

Scorpion200x
02-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Hello Everyone, glad to be a member of the forums....I have a quick question, is the petcock on a 1985 Honda 200x a vacuum petcock? I was having trouble with fuel delivery, I got the bike started and it idles now and runs however as I was going through the process of trying to figure out what was going on I pulled the hose from the petcock and turned the petcock to on...The gas didn't flow out like a steady stream, it was flowing but more dripping than anything....I asked a friend of mine and he said it might be a vacuum petcock which means the engine has to be running for it to flow like I was expecting. Thank you in advance for any help with this issue.

shortline10
02-04-2018, 07:09 AM
It’s just a regular gravity feed petcock . Time for a new one .

Jd110
02-04-2018, 09:05 AM
What does the inside of the tank look like? Could there be a blockage? How does it run when you gas it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion200x
02-04-2018, 12:59 PM
It’s just a regular gravity feed petcock . Time for a new one .

Yep I was afraid of that, really wanted to ride it today too, I found one on ebay for 7.99 I'll order that one tomorrow...Thank you/

What does the inside of the tank look like? Could there be a blockage? How does it run when you gas it?

The tank was cleaned out and flushed before I bought it, however I was told the tank had rusted through at one post and was welded....It responds well when I gas it, Sometimes when I ride it though it likes to shut off and not fire up after...Usually it starts on first kick. I'll make a video of all that is going on. Thank you both for your response.

Rob Canadian
02-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Yep I was afraid of that, really wanted to ride it today too, I found one on ebay for 7.99 I'll order that one tomorrow...Thank you/

The tank was cleaned out and flushed before I bought it, however I was told the tank had rusted through at one post and was welded....It responds well when I gas it, Sometimes when I ride it though it likes to shut off and not fire up after...Usually it starts on first kick. I'll make a video of all that is going on. Thank you both for your response.

The second part looks like the same issue. Running out of fuel. You are using more fuel than the petcock will allow back to the carb.

Scorpion200x
02-04-2018, 01:23 PM
The second part looks like the same issue. Running out of fuel. You are using more fuel than the petcock will allow back to the carb.

It seems that way, I really do thank you guys for your help, I have been coming here reading the forums a lot and finally decided to join. Here is a video of that it is doing. I will order one tomorrow regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD-BWFV0vbE&feature=youtu.be

Rob Canadian
02-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Just for fun. Remove the gas cap and see if it flows.

Scorpion200x
02-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Just for fun. Remove the gas cap and see if it flows.

Nope, it stayed the same.

Rob Canadian
02-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Ok. It was just a simple test that may have got overlooked. Thanks for posting up a vid.

Take the old petcock off. See if you can clean it(?) before ordering a new one.

Scorpion200x
02-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Ok. It was just a simple test that may have got overlooked. Thanks for posting up a vid.

Take the old petcock off. See if you can clean it(?) before ordering a new one.

I did what you said and this is the result....Thanks so much for all your guys help and quick response...Now I need to put the bolts back on the tank and the seat back on and go rip some of this desert sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Bbns6Siu0&feature=youtu.be

Rob Canadian
02-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Great to hear. Now go have a blast!!!!!

shortline10
02-04-2018, 09:43 PM
If the factory petcock filter is damaged or gone make sure you put an inline fuel filter on your fuel hose so you don’t get crud in the carburetor .

Rob Canadian
02-04-2018, 10:05 PM
If the factory petcock filter is damaged or gone make sure you put an inline fuel filter on your fuel hose so you don’t get crud in the carburetor .

Is this the fuel strainer? Looks like it goes around the inlet to the petcock. I have honestly never had mine out. Both my trike and bike have rust free tanks so I have never looked into it. I know my bike has a removable bowl off the petcock. Which I have removed and cleaned...

Jd110
02-04-2018, 10:24 PM
It's hard to see the position of the petcock in your first vid, but at 15 sec it appears to not be in the on position. Second vid clearly shows in 'on'.
Rob- the strainer should be right behind the valve, I think. It is on our 70.
I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpion200x
02-04-2018, 11:22 PM

I know the 2nd time in the first vid I did not turn it all the way. I noticed that. However the first time I turned it to the on position in the first fist vid It was on just out of camera vision. Now I have run into another problem, i went riding today and all was well. When i came back home it shut off I thought no biggie I'm home. I then notice gas pouring from the over flow hose. I turned the petcock to the off position, I tapped the carb with the handle of a screw driver thinking the float is stuck that didn't work. So I took it apart cleaned it when carb cleaner, removed the float and cleaned it as well however the problem is still ongoing...any ideas....I also want to note this trike was sitting for a while before I bought it from the guy.

shortline10
02-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Buy a shindy carburetor rebuild kit and also clean the float seat real good making sure not the scratch or damage it .
Also like a said previously put an inline fuel filter so crud doesn’t get stuck in the float valve .

Scorpion200x
02-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Buy a shindy carburetor rebuild kit and also clean the float seat real good making sure not the scratch or damage it .
Also like a said previously put an inline fuel filter so crud doesn’t get stuck in the float valve .

Got the inline filter just waiting now for the parts to come in.

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 07:41 PM
I would also recommend taking the drain screw out and cleaning it. I do not think there is any seals.

I do not have my old carb in front of me. If the drain screw is not sealing properly. It will give you the same symptoms of the float being stuck. They both use the same hose. At lest on mine. Both OEM and aftermarket.

Note. I posted this info a while back and someone called BS. Again. I don't have my carb in front of me.

Scorpion200x
02-05-2018, 07:45 PM
I would also recommend taking the drain screw out and cleaning it. I do not think there is any seals.

I do not have my old carb in front of me. If the drain screw is not sealing properly. It will give you the same symptoms of the float being stuck. They both use the same hose. At lest on mine. Both OEM and aftermarket.

Note. I posted this info a while back and someone called BS. Again. I don't have my carb in front of me.

Well I have the carb taken care of now it now longer is leaking gas from the overflow....Now when I start it up it runs like it is full throttle. I have no idea what is going on there. I tried to adjust the idle screw on the side that does nothing. not sure what I did but when it starts it's sounds like the bike is full throttle

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Well I have the carb taken care of now it now longer is leaking gas from the overflow....Now when I start it up it runs like it is full throttle. I have no idea what is going on there. I tried to adjust the idle screw on the side that does nothing. not sure what I did but when it starts it's sounds like the bike is full throttle

Sounds like you put the slide in backwards. There is a ramp on one side of the slide. That goes towards the idle screw.

Scorpion200x
02-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Yes there is 2 ramps on the slide , one is kinda wide and the other is thin and then rounds off at the top

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Yes there is 2 ramps on the slide , one is kinda wide and the other is thin and then rounds off at the top

The side that rounds up near the top is for the idle screw. Make sense?

Scorpion200x
02-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Yep that's how I have it in, But still goes full throttle, I do notice there is more play in my trigger than there was when I pulled the carb off the first time

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Yep that's how I have it in, But still goes full throttle, I do notice there is more play in my trigger than there was when I pulled the carb off the first time

OK. Stop.

Without running the engine. Let's see if we can get full movement on the slide without starting it. Cable routing? The slide should go up and down from the throttle.

Shep1970
02-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Just throwing up a pic for u guys since its sitting here in front of me
This carb idled great, your throttle closed should be close to this just a hair open.
Always try to open your throttle a little while adjusting the idle or you’ll have a divot like this one

Shep

Scorpion200x
02-05-2018, 08:19 PM
OK. Stop.

Without running the engine. Let's see if we can get full movement on the slide without starting it. Cable routing? The slide should go up and down from the throttle.

Ok so you want me to take the top cap off and see if the slide is moving up and down?

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Just throwing up a pic for u guys since its sitting here in front of me..

Always try to open your throttle a little while adjusting the idle or you’ll have a divot like this one

Shep

Hey Shep. I can not see pic.

Shep1970
02-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Sorry fixed

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Ok so you want me to take the top cap off and see if the slide is moving up and down?

Shep put up a pic. You can back the idle screw out a couple turns out. Hard to tell but you said it goes full throttle. Like it revs to the moon? You also have more freeplay in your throttle. You have a thumb throttle, cable, carb. return spring in the carb.

350for350
02-05-2018, 09:44 PM
If you now have more free play in the throttle than you did before, then something isn't allowing everything to go back to the idle position. Maybe your needle didn't quite go back into the hole that it rests in?

fabiodriven
02-05-2018, 09:50 PM
It's very likely you're not threading the needle into the main jet and that's holding the slide open. As Rob said, disassemble and make sure the slide is closing all the way, and as Shep said, always lift the slide up off the adjustment screw when adjusting the idle.

Rob Canadian
02-05-2018, 10:38 PM
If you now have more free play in the throttle than you did before, then something isn't allowing everything to go back to the idle position. Maybe your needle didn't quite go back into the hole that it rests in?

"That's what she said"... OK. I had to make a funny...

Scorpion200x
02-06-2018, 04:40 AM
"That's what she said"... OK. I had to make a funny...

I got it sorted. I guess I did have the slide in backwards. Runs smooth now have the inline filter on it as well. Thanks guys

Rob Canadian
02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
I got it sorted. I guess I did have the slide in backwards. Runs smooth now have the inline filter on it as well. Thanks guys

Glad to hear!!! :)

I was sleeping. Different time zone. :)

Scorpion200x
02-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Glad to hear!!! :)

I was sleeping. Different time zone. :)

No worries you guys have been a real big help, I greatly appreciate it.

jm1977sc
09-18-2018, 09:59 PM
I have a 1985 Honda Big Red 250es. I just recently replaced the fuel petcock. I can't get fuel to flow out of it once i hook it to the carb. When i unhook the fuel line from the petcock to the carb it flows fine. As soon as i hook it back up to the carb it stops. I have an aftermarket plastic tank as well. Any suggestions

shortline10
09-19-2018, 05:53 AM
Your float valve is probably stuck closed in your carburetor or maybe the bowl is just full or fuel . Open the drain screw on the bowl and see if the fuel will start flowing .