PDA

View Full Version : Car audio help

85bigred00
02-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Hey guys i like this forum with all the good help and people. I bought a sub and amp from a swap meet and I have questions about the amp.250177
Its kinda sketch but its a 4 channel amp and it says 500Wx4ch so is that 500 divided by 4 because a 2000W amp seems a bit crazy. And also depending on how it turns out what gauge of wire should I be running from the battery to the amp? Just looking for some info because its a bit sketch.

fabiodriven
02-12-2018, 11:46 PM
I'm rusty on this but I think that does make it a 2000w amp, but that might depend on if you bridge it.

As far as wire size, I don't have an actual gauge to give you but usually bigger is better, and don't forget to put a big in-line fuse on it near the battery. The ground must be beefy as well. You don't have to run the ground all way to the battery though, you can ground that to the vehicle.

85bigred00
02-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Ok well thanks, I will consult friends that have done amps, and I took it apart and only like half the case even has anything in it and the coils seem a bit small but im going to wire it up and bridge 2 channels and see what happens.

Arky-X
02-14-2018, 01:37 AM
That would be a "2000 Watt" amp but no telling what the actual RMS (continuous) power it can deliver. The good ones (Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, JBL, Sony) usually have RMS of about half of the peak power. Meaning a 500 x 4 would push about 250-ish RMS per channel. I doubt this brand will push that kind of power but give it a go. It's going to push something to your sub.
Also be sure you can bridge it. Most can but some are not stable when bridging and you will eventually fry it.

I used this when I installed my amp. It uses 8GA for the power. I believe they have a 4GA kit too.
https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-Amplifier-Installation-Wiring/dp/B000FKP7TY
Like fabio says, fuse it near the battery.
Keep the ground wire short and be sure to get a good ground. Scrape away any paint.

Edit:
This link gives you a guide for sizing wire;
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3cRSLwS2ksq/learn/learningcenter/car/cable_gauge_chart.html

Like I said above, that is a 2000W peak amp but I doubt the RMS is 1000W total. I have a 480W Pioneer and it is 120 x 4 channel peak with a 60-ish RMS per channel.
If you plan your wire size for peak (2000W) then you probably want the 4GA wire.

2000W / 13.8V = 145Amps
Using the chart in the link it says 2GA once you run over 12ft of it but I think that is overkill. Most guys I knew back in the day would only use 2GA or 0GA for the extreme systems.

85bigred00
02-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Ya I know it is a sketch amp I took it apart and looks like no way it can pump high amps, but at the moment it is all I have and I am going to test it out. Switching amps is not the hardest so that's good.