PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide: build 200 auto x or buy 250sx

mudwagon
02-24-2018, 12:44 AM
Ok, so as the title says, I am considering 2 options for summertime riding in the Platte River (12 inch deep water with sand bottom). I have been running it with my 200E, but my 39 year old back tells me to get full suspension. So with quality of ride in mind, here are my 2 options:

Option 1: build auto x
I currently have a nice running 200E in good shape. Also have a cosmetically challenged 200x with a seized engine. It needs bearings on the front and back axle. Breaks are all there, but neither work. Suspension feels decent. I like the idea of chain drive so I can put larger rear sprocket on and run the 25-12-9 gator tires that I have on my E. Auto-clutch is a must in river riding, as a great deal of time is spent on the side of the atc, pushing and running the throttle at the same time. I've owned 200x's with hand clutches in the past, and while great fun to ride, are a pain when you get stuck and need to get off and push with the engine running. I've built auto x's before but they were pull start only. I'm a little concerned as to where to mount a battery box on a 200x frame. Best thing about this route is I have all the parts and shouldn't cost anything but time.

Option 2: buy 250sx locally for $600 (and sell my E for probably $450-500 and sell 200x for ?)
local guy on craigslist has 1985 250 sx for $600. Cosmetically fair condition and good mechanical engine everything works, needs nothing to go riding. For the river I would build 150mm to 110 adapters to run my 25-12-9 gators. Only other thing I might do is put 200x front forks on and maybe 300ex rear shock. I like the idea of a kick-start back up. I've had lots of issues with pull starters failing after getting submerged in sandy water. That is also the what kills the spark when the magneto gets wet. I've never owned a shaft driven honda so I don't know what this machines off-road capabilities are. I don't care about having reverse.

So which rig will be smoother riding and more capable in river riding?

Jd110
02-24-2018, 12:53 AM
Go get the SX asap. It's the king for off road.

mudwagon
02-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the sx. Is the 200x to 250sx front fork swap easy to do?

Jd110
02-24-2018, 02:42 AM
Not sure about that. If they're better or what. Others here would know or do some searching for previous threads. I just like the sound of a working SX for $600.

Welcome to the site, mudwagon. Have fun!!

350for350
02-24-2018, 08:57 PM
I say keep what you have and get the SX.

mudwagon
02-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Ha Ha, yes that idea has crossed my mind several times. I'd rather have one atc that I enjoy and let someone else have a chance to appreciate a piece of history...

350for350
02-25-2018, 09:26 PM
If you want an idea of what a 200X front end looks like on a 250SX, here's mine. Not pretty, but VERY fun.250651250652

mudwagon
03-04-2018, 12:17 AM
So the 250sx got sold before I could get down there and snatch it up. I knew I should have made a bee-line for it the minute I saw it on craigslist. Oh well... I started my 200 "autox" project today. Pulled both motors out and got the 200E engine in the 200x frame. Took some grinding to get the hi-low gearcase to clear but nothing major. I dented the down-pipe to make room for the starter. I then removed the starter to simplify wrestling the engine into the frame. After getting most of the motor mount bolts in hand tight I went to put the starter back on. It was then that I realized I didn't make a deep enough dent for the starter to clear. About how deep does it need to be? I made about a 1/2" depression and it looks like I need another 1". That'd be over half the diameter of down-pipe if I did my math right. Does this sound about right? Also, I got all the motor mount bolts to line up except for where the back of the head mounts to the bottom of the top-pipe. The holes all line up, but it appears that the engine is off-center to the left about 3/4". Anybody else experience this? I really don't think it would be necessary to mess with those last two bolts. What do you guys think?

sledcrazyinCT
03-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Sounds like you are well under way with the motor install. Check out the search feature upper right corner of the screen. Lots of people have done this build. Rear brake pedal is a good thing to research to see how others have done the swap. others say top mount needs be modded. The starter clearance question you just asked is addressed also if you search 'AUTO X'

Here is one thread with a link inside
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/40220-AutoX-conversion?highlight=autoX+build

Please start a new thread of your build and definitely add photos of your progress

ironchop
03-04-2018, 06:09 PM
... It was then that I realized I didn't make a deep enough dent for the starter to clear. About how deep does it need to be? I made about a 1/2" depression and it looks like I need another 1". That'd be over half the diameter of down-pipe if I did my math right. Does this sound about right?....

I would not dent that pipe any deeper than the half inch. Any more than that is obstructing your flow and probably detrimental more than anything rlse

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

mudwagon
03-04-2018, 10:08 PM
I would not dent that pipe any deeper than the half inch. Any more than that is obstructing your flow and probably detrimental more than anything rlse

Air still feeds through the top pipe underneath the gas tank, right?

ironchop
03-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Air still feeds through the top pipe underneath the gas tank, right?I misunderstood and thought exhaust pipe for some reason. Disregard what I said about flow.

wonderboy
03-05-2018, 08:56 AM
I see that the SX already got sold. My recommendation was going to be to build the Auto-X anyway and here is why:

1. You wanted some suspension to make the ride easier on your back. I think the 200x suspension would be better than the SX.
2. WATER! You want to be able to ride in and around water. The SX rear end is not suitable for water riding UNLESS you take some precautions. (You have to stay on top of it, check axle lube often, check seals, make sure things are sealed up well, etc)

I think the Auto-X will fit your requirements really nicely. The SX is an absolute must-own machine as well, if you ever get the chance, pick one up since they are great. But for your immediate needs, you won't be disappointed with the Auto-X.

There are lots of threads on the Auto-X conversion. The couple of items you need to figure out (other than what you are dealing with on the motor mount on the head) are the foot brake and the shifter. On my conversion using a 200S motor, I just needed to put a few washers in between the left footpeg mount and the frame to provide clearance for the shifter. The brake pedal was cobbled together from the 200S donor brake pedal and the 200x parts. There are some really slick ways to rig up the foot brake (mine not included). Searches should turn up some good options for you.

Good Luck, you're gonna love the Auto-X.

350for350
03-05-2018, 10:50 PM
I know that I love my AutoX. It's my favorite and I like it better than my 250SX and my 350X.

Bren_downe
03-06-2018, 04:27 AM
Another thing you should consider is mounting the battery. I love my Auto x but it is truly a pile. The previous owner had a 200m motor in it. He bent the down tube too much and now the front motor mounts don't line up great. He also bent the sub frame above the shock resevoir in order to mount the battery. Now it looks crooked from the rear. not trying to discourage you. Just things to think about.

mudwagon
03-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the advice I am going to bend the pipe the rest of the way with the engine already bolted into the motor mounts. I saw a picture of a battery box from a previous thread on here that look pretty good mounted behind the air filter box. Looking to trade a complete 200e rolling chassis for a 200x rust-free gas tank and seat. Any takers?