PDA

View Full Version : Honda ATC 110 transmission

geyerman89
02-25-2018, 09:17 PM
Hey guys, Got a ATC110 that slips in and out in first gear high range. 2nd and 3rd pull well too. Low range works in all 3 gears. When I get going in first gear high range it acts like the clutch slips and grabs or the gear contact hits and misses. Then it will eventualy kick the sub trans out of high range. Have been into sub trans. twice and everything looks real good. Changed oil with reg. 10w40 and adjusted clutch. Any ideas? Haven't tore into clutch side yet.

ps2fixer
03-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Almost sounds like a bent shift fork or heavily worn shift drum (more likely the fork). Generally if it's the clutch, you'd notice the slipping more in high gears instead of low gears and the transaction between slipping and grabbing is pretty smooth, kind of like driving a stick car. The "clutch adjustment" screw is to adjust when the trans clutch is used as you shift, atleast that's how it works for the 250es/sx machines, if it shifts between gears fine, the adjuster doesn't do anything else unless too tight it could make it slip all the time.

The high/low range selector popping out of gear isn't normal. I didn't have a 110 to ride, but I've road around a 90, and it never popped out. Maybe it's not fully switched into high? My 200es high/low was a little tricky to get into high range sometimes and rocking the machine would get it locked in. Since then if I remember correctly, neutral, shift into high, then while pushing forward shift into 1st gear would lock it in every time, but I haven't taken that machine for a ride in probably 5-6 years since I got a 250es and 350x.

What year is your 110? I have two parts machines that should have good bottom ends if you do find out what's causing it and need parts.

Good luck with your project

geyerman89
03-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Almost sounds like a bent shift fork or heavily worn shift drum (more likely the fork). Generally if it's the clutch, you'd notice the slipping more in high gears instead of low gears and the transaction between slipping and grabbing is pretty smooth, kind of like driving a stick car. The "clutch adjustment" screw is to adjust when the trans clutch is used as you shift, atleast that's how it works for the 250es/sx machines, if it shifts between gears fine, the adjuster doesn't do anything else unless too tight it could make it slip all the time.

The high/low range selector popping out of gear isn't normal. I didn't have a 110 to ride, but I've road around a 90, and it never popped out. Maybe it's not fully switched into high? My 200es high/low was a little tricky to get into high range sometimes and rocking the machine would get it locked in. Since then if I remember correctly, neutral, shift into high, then while pushing forward shift into 1st gear would lock it in every time, but I haven't taken that machine for a ride in probably 5-6 years since I got a 250es and 350x.

What year is your 110? I have two parts machines that should have good bottom ends if you do find out what's causing it and need parts.

Good luck with your project

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna tear into the r.s. cover where the clutch is and inspect everything in there. It's a 1979 ATC 110. Years ago I did a complete rebuild after I tore up second gear. I trashed it being stupid on it and shifted it with a lot more respect after that. Haven't used it much the last 3 years. Was fun in the snow this winter. Fixing it up now. Trashed the metal fuel tank after many repairs. Kinda fun getting it to looking better and pretty sure I'm not gonna have to tear into transmission again with it's problems. Thanks again and will report back

ps2fixer
03-02-2018, 11:53 PM
Ironically, I have a 79 110 engine laying around for parts lol. There wasn't much to the machine, I think basically the frame, axle, forks and most of the engine. Hopefully it's something simple though.

geyerman89
03-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Tore the clutch side down and rebuilt it. Was hoping to see bad friction plates or something there. Decided not to rip it apart to the transmission. Not a fun task. First gear high range is still the problem. It acts like maybe a real loose chain or bad teeth on the gears when taking off. It doesn't seem to slip or cut in and out after I get going now. Gonna run it without the chain guard some and look at it. The good part is I'm gonna make it look nice, fix the leaky tires and just run it more in 2nd gear low. I got a acre that fun to run around the house. Love rideing it in the winter. Love my 3 wheeler and gonna get a bigger one sometime.