PDA

View Full Version : New Member Here!

BusaJim
02-27-2018, 02:39 PM
I've visited this forum many times but figured it was time to make an account.

I inherited an ATC250ES "BIG RED" from my grandfather recently. I remember riding this around his place some 20 years ago. I forgot he still had it! It has been pretty heavily neglected for the past 15 years or so but I brought it home to see what could be done.

Carb was a nightmare, I ended up having a friend of mine bring it to work and put it in the supersonic cleaner for a few days. Rebuilt and it fired up!

Other things I've addressed in the last few weeks:

New battery
New Levers & Grips
Replacement gas cap from CLARKE Mfg
Oil & Filter Change
Fixed reverse indicator - unplugged under motor AND bulb was cracked
Covered seat with new material
Rear brake shoes

I've logged quite a few hours on it already, it runs great. Amazing how well these things were designed

BusaJim
02-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Actually I do have a question...

Can anyone recommend a cheap petcock replacement? I ordered one off ebay and it ended up being the wrong size.

Aulbaugh
02-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the site! Big Reds are great machines! Awesome your putting some life back into it

Aulbaugh
02-27-2018, 02:59 PM
You can get an OEM one from partzilla.com. It probably won't be as cheap as the ones off eBay(haven't seen any prices on eBay)but is still available.

BusaJim
02-27-2018, 03:11 PM
It's amazing that everything still works...32 years old! The only thing I might consider replacing still is the brake / choke cables, they are pretty stiff and don't return quickly and the petcock leaks a bit when changing it's position but doesn't leak while riding.

Other than...electric start cranks and she purrs like a kitten. The attention it gets is insane

Rob Canadian
02-27-2018, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the site.

Glad it is running well. Great machines. How is the inside of the tank?

BusaJim
02-27-2018, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the site.

Glad it is running well. Great machines. How is the inside of the tank?

It's an aftermarket Clarke tank. Looks fine

J.E.
03-02-2018, 01:24 AM
They were, and still are great machines. Even better since it was your grandfathers.