PDA

View Full Version : Another "New to me this and that" thread... '85 250r

HyKlas
03-10-2018, 03:31 AM
Picked this one up today after about 8 hours of driving round trip. This is the first one I've owned. Ridden a few in my day but never had one... Mostly original, except the Maier low profile rear, silver top end, and countless stacks of unnecessary washers where shorter bolts should be. Definitely has had some ham-fisted work done to it but I'm anal, I'll save it... The other 2 gold wheels have a set of paddles on them. These are a little easier to push around.

Couple questions... Any source for the rubber rear fender washers? Not the ones that go on the frame, the ones that go on the bottom of the seat. Also needing the front fender rubbers so I can throw a few washer stacks away. And lastly, when it comes to the exhaust flange, is it best to go with an o-ring kit or just splurge for the fancy billet one? We're leaking there so I need to get that fixed before running it much...

jb2wheels
03-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Nice trike!
On my 85 exhaust flange, I replaced the stock seals with new ones and used some red hi-temp RTV. It hasn't leaked in 5+ years.

Jwheeler
03-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Hay nice score . Where in Calif did you pick that up ? It's in good shape.

HyKlas
03-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Just a SoCal CL snag, no stories behind it.

Found an o-ring in my kit that fit pretty well but it's just rubber. Allows me to run it for a while though... Holding up so far. Definitely need a new pipe and silencer. Think the silencer is for a pre-'84 and it's just hose clamped to the frame.

Ordered in a new front tire, chain slider, chain rollers, exh flange seal kit, grips, and an engine bolt kit. The engine covers were missing a few bolts and I never plan to take it in the dirt/mud so I went with the stainless allen ones. We'll see, they were only $27. Snagged some new bolts for the bodywork at the hardware store as well.

Found out there's a motorcycle junk yard here in town so hopefully they have an ATC or TRX to rob a few things from. Fingers crossed on that front...

Anyway, lot of research to do and things to learn. My first 250r and the first 2 stroke I've owned in almost 20 years. Seems a little bit easier to kick over than my last one, an '87 Husqvarna CR 500. :D

Shawn Powell
03-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Just a SoCal CL snag, no stories behind it.

Found an o-ring in my kit that fit pretty well but it's just rubber. Allows me to run it for a while though... Holding up so far. Definitely need a new pipe and silencer. Think the silencer is for a pre-'84 and it's just hose clamped to the frame.

Ordered in a new front tire, chain slider, chain rollers, exh flange seal kit, grips, and an engine bolt kit. The engine covers were missing a few bolts and I never plan to take it in the dirt/mud so I went with the stainless allen ones. We'll see, they were only $27. Snagged some new bolts for the bodywork at the hardware store as well.

Found out there's a motorcycle junk yard here in town so hopefully they have an ATC or TRX to rob a few things from. Fingers crossed on that front...

Anyway, lot of research to do and things to learn. My first 250r and the first 2 stroke I've owned in almost 20 years. Seems a little bit easier to kick over than my last one, an '87 Husqvarna CR 500. :D

You say your in so cal? Where is this atv junk yard? Nice score by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ps2fixer
03-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Defo a nice looking machine. One thing you could check that is fairly common swap is the wire harness. Easy check is to look at the CDI plug, round = 85, 2 plug 4 & 2 pin is 86. Pretty sure the 86 harness is more desirable since it's the same cdi connectors used today. The round cdi connector (harness side) seems to be out of production for new harnesses on my end, but I've seen a "reproduced" CDI on ebay with the round connector for a 4 stroke machine.

Also a great resource for parts is of course a Honda dealer, some items are in production, a lot are not, but never hurts to check there first. A lot of bolts etc are in production yet, unless it's some one off special bolt.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985/atc250r-a

Front fender rubber mounts still in production $2.46 each:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/1985/atc250r-a/front-fender

Also looks like all of the OEM case bolts are listed too for left and right cases. Probably would have cost about the same as the stainless ones you ordered, maybe a little more. If you have a good local Honda dealer you might be able to get them to price match partzilla and provide free shipping.

HyKlas
03-12-2018, 11:03 PM
The yard is up in Ventura. Have been talking to some people and they seem to think he's expensive. But then again, they're notoriously cheap...

Thanks for that ps2... I saw partzilla but wasn't too sure of them. Good resource for part numbers as well. And seems I have an '85 harness with the round plug CDI...

ps2fixer
03-12-2018, 11:24 PM
I buy 99% of my Honda parts from partzilla, the only thing that can suck with any Honda dealer is back orders. I've waited like 4 months for a large order once, but most of the time it's within a month max. They recently changed their site, used to be able to search part numbers for easy interchange checking, now you have to edit the url to bring up the part's page since it's not included in search results any more :(. Easiest way to look up parts with the updated site is by machine. The list of machines the part number fits is really useful for researching parts though.

HyKlas
03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Still going through the bike but I'm starting to fill a cart over there... Lots of rubber bits mostly. Glad that stuff is available yet.

What are the go-to chain rollers? Mine are just bearings, no plastic left on either of them.

BOB MARLIN
03-14-2018, 09:06 AM
For the exhaust flange- the billet aftermarket ones with the o rings are well worth the money, especially since they don't cost that much anyway.

And as far as the cycle salvage yards, I have not found one yet that wasn't trying to get close to,or in some cases more than the part costs new. Ebay or here on the boards are the best place for parts.

For all the little grommets, screws and stuff like that give BDT motorsports a call. They have a lot of oem stuff that no one else has for a fair price.

HyKlas
03-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I haven't bothered making the trek for that reason. I'm an auto mechanic and the junk yards for cars have been getting outrageous over the past 10 years or so as well. I don't mind paying but it better be something I really need and can't find elsewhere.

Got a bunch of junk coming in this week but have to get some insight on those chain rollers. Can't really ride it without them, in my mind anyway...

ironchop
03-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Got a bunch of junk coming in this week but have to get some insight on those chain rollers. Can't really ride it without them, in my mind anyway...
I got my rollers from TM Designworks

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

keister
03-14-2018, 01:14 PM
I have a few TMDesignworks rollers and sliders on my trikes.
http://tmdesignworks.com/

Which brings us to the next question. Is your swingarm bolt free or seized in place?
It needs to come out to install the chain slider (at least mine did).

keister
03-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Also, that looks like it could be an original front tire. Bravo!

BOB MARLIN
03-14-2018, 03:10 PM
I like the stainless allen bolt sets. I heard a lot of people don't like them, but I've had zero problems with them.

By the way your seat is from an '86 model.

HyKlas
03-14-2018, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys. :beer

A new slider isn't flexible enough to wrap around? Hmmm.... Guess I'll get some parts for the swing arm pivot as well. If I take it apart, it's getting rebuilt.

And yeah yeah, I know it's an '86... :rolleyes: Trying to find the '85. Lot nicer looking if you ask me.

BOB MARLIN
03-15-2018, 09:02 AM
If it's been in California all its life the swing arm bearings may come out easy. Be prepared , I've had a few that have been a real pain to get out.
The chain slider has an area that the swing arm kinda goes through so its best to take the swinger off to do it.

newby200x
03-15-2018, 12:03 PM
A OEM chain slider is still available. It wraps around the swinger and doesn't require removing the swingarm.

#11 in the diagram
https://www.hondaparts-direct.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Honda/ATC250RA_(86)_ALL_TERRAIN_CYCLE,_JPN,_VIN%23_JH3TB 060-GC500024_TO_JH3TB060-GC513117/SWINGARM_86/ATC250R-86-JPN-A/2Y14HA2FE1AHA28F1801A

HyKlas
03-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Got an OEM slider that should be in today... The Mrs is gone until Monday so I'll be knocking a lot of this stuff out.

BOB MARLIN
03-15-2018, 03:23 PM
A OEM chain slider is still available. It wraps around the swinger and doesn't require removing the swingarm.

#11 in the diagram
https://www.hondaparts-direct.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Honda/ATC250RA_(86)_ALL_TERRAIN_CYCLE,_JPN,_VIN%23_JH3TB 060-GC500024_TO_JH3TB060-GC513117/SWINGARM_86/ATC250R-86-JPN-A/2Y14HA2FE1AHA28F1801A

The slider I bought (aftermarket) didn't fit like that. I had no luck at the time finding an OEM. Good to know they can be had !

Red Rider
03-15-2018, 05:17 PM
A OEM chain slider is still available. It wraps around the swinger and doesn't require removing the swingarm.From what I remember about the stock chain slider, even though it does wrap around the swingarm pivot, the frame is still in the way of the screw(s) that hold it in place. It could probably still be swapped out without removing the swingarm, but it sure makes for a PITA job.

newby200x
03-16-2018, 07:37 AM
I just installed a new one on mine..w/ the sprocket guard and chain off, I think it took me 10 min or less. It wraps around the swingarm and then closes back together to align the mount holes. It's fastened down to the swingarm by a single bolt and "U" shape clip. If you're swingarm still has the factory phillips head screw, then yes, it is somewhat of a hard angle to get to. You could always replace w/ a hex bolt, or break the phillips head screw loose first w/ a vice grips.

HyKlas
03-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Got it on, no big deal. Phillips screw and all...

Ordered everything for the front and back of the swingarm but that'll wait for a bit. Looks like it might be ready for its maiden voyage by the end of the weekend.

On a side note, what's a good chain for these?