PDA

View Full Version : Suspension guys .... a question.

Wickedfinger
02-13-2004, 12:59 AM
While I might know a thing or two about ATV's ... I can honestly say, I'm not the best at setting up suspensions. I've never really had a reason to mess with them much other than tightening up the springs to better haul my ass around and the most suspension adjustments I've ever had to deal with were the ones on my '90 LT250R (preload, rebound and compression adjusters front and back). My question is this: I recently cranked my spring adjusters all the way to the top of the threads on my Scramblers rear FOX shock in order to get the preload up enough to reduce sag from my weight. Now for some reason, I just noticed its taking forever for the shock to rebound when I push the rear suspension down. It comes back up REAL slow but eventually reaches full shock extension. The bike is stored in my garage in about 55 - 60 degrees temperature. Does anybody have any thoughts on whats causing this?.

KASEY
02-13-2004, 01:33 AM
IF it has rebound adjustments you might back it off a little if theres no adjuster you might have to have it revalved to a lesser rebound setting,,,,

Wickedfinger
02-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Ya but .... I forgot to say, it was fine right after I adjusted the spring ... Seems to be a new thing.

ATC crazy
02-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Well...since you adjusted your spring softer (by moving the adjuster up) then the spring is exerting less force causing it to come up slowly....

Wickedfinger
02-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Is it softer then by moving it up?. I would figure that by compressing the spring it would make it harder ..... but like I said, while I could quote just about any ATV statistic there is and tell you how to rebuild a motor and trans with one hand while eating a ham sanwich ..... I've just never had a real need to properly set up my suspensions short of the general mounting and cleaning them etc. Other than entering a few local run Harescrambles, I've never felt the need to Race .. so not alot of real world experience here.

ATC crazy
02-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Is it softer then by moving it up?. I would figure that by compressing the spring it would make it harder...

:oops: I didnt know what end of the shock your adjusters were...If the spring compression threads are at the top of the shock, then moving them up will de-compress the spring. If the spring compression threads are at the bottom of the shock and you adjust them up...it will compress the spring.

Wickedfinger
02-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Sorry, ya they're on the bottom of the shock.

Wickedfinger
02-29-2004, 02:09 AM
..... well in talking to the guys at PAATVing.com, they seem to think it needs new seals and a recharge. Oh well, need to shovel out some cash I guess :(