PDA

View Full Version : YTM 225 starter issue

wb225dx
03-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Hey everyone...new to the site and 3 wheeling. Recently picked up a 1985 YTM225dx and was getting tired of pull starting it. Went to put voltage to the starter and nothing. Bench tested good...button good and I have voltage going to starter post. Stuck my finger in the hole and the gears will not turn...they look good but seem froze. On a parts motor the gear will turn. I assume the gear or starter clutch my be stuck??? Before I dig deeper what would cause this problem and how big of a deal is it to fix? Any help or insight would be great. It will start with the rope pull but it takes a long time to get it running.

Mach-10
03-18-2018, 01:19 PM
I have been working on an 84 with the same issue down to the spare motor :). I took mine apart and I think the issue is the clutch. I am pulling the clutch on spare motor this afternoon to compare. It is not too difficult as long as you have a puller.

MDillon
03-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Cannot quite tell from your post if you have tried to jump the starter yet or not, but in the invent that you have not. Get the starter relay into a position that you can apply voltage to it. Apply voltage to the terminal that goes directly to the starter. The starter should have a ground on it already so just ground to the frame(convenient to use the battery ground). Don't run the starter to long if it starts to go. If it doesn't go then its probably the starter itself if it does go it may be the starter relay. Hope this helps.

wb225dx
03-20-2018, 11:56 AM
I have been working on an 84 with the same issue down to the spare motor :). I took mine apart and I think the issue is the clutch. I am pulling the clutch on spare motor this afternoon to compare. It is not too difficult as long as you have a puller.

I've got a flywheel puller coming. Did you find the clutch was your issue?

wb225dx
03-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Putting a hot cable right to the starter...it only makes a slight "clunk" noise. This I assume is the starter gear hitting the main gear that wont turn. Have a puller coming and will hopefully find out whats going on inside that case.

wb225dx
03-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Cannot quite tell from your post if you have tried to jump the starter yet or not, but in the invent that you have not. Get the starter relay into a position that you can apply voltage to it. Apply voltage to the terminal that goes directly to the starter. The starter should have a ground on it already so just ground to the frame(convenient to use the battery ground). Don't run the starter to long if it starts to go. If it doesn't go then its probably the starter itself if it does go it may be the starter relay. Hope this helps.

Putting a hot cable right to the starter...it only makes a slight "clunk" noise. This I assume is the starter gear hitting the main gear that wont turn. Have a puller coming and will hopefully find out whats going on inside that case.

geyerman89
03-20-2018, 01:51 PM
If it bench tests good and when you put it on machine and have nothing, bad ground. You mentioned you have voltage to the starter post. It should do something if you get the ground

wb225dx
03-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Finally got some time to rip into the case. With the case off the starter works fine and the motor turns over. I can only assume something was in a bind...maybe the spacer on the shaft is just a tad to long and when bolted down the case is pressing the spacer against the idle gear and keeping everything from moving? The starter clutch is working so no need to pull the flywheel. Just waiting on a new gasket now. Previous owners had used blue silicone and now gasket. Maybe the gasket will give me the extra clearance needed...
thanks for the help

wb225dx
03-29-2018, 09:18 AM
If it bench tests good and when you put it on machine and have nothing, bad ground. You mentioned you have voltage to the starter post. It should do something if you get the ground

It all works with the case removed...Im thinking since the gasket was missing maybe there are clearance issues with the spacer and the gears are pinched. So I have a new gasket coming. Thanks for the reply