PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 200es 1985 Barn find help!

khylenb
03-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Hi Guys.

Just picked up this Big Red 200es 1985 yesterday. Got a steal being only £230 ($320)!! The guy had it sat in his barn for the past 5 years. I hooked a new battery up, put some fresh fuel in and on the second pull....She was alive!!

There is however 2 problems I am hope for some help with:

1. When I push the electric start the motor just whirls and wails. Nothing happens. It sounds like its spinning but thats it? Could it be the bushes in the starter? If so, is this an easy repair?

2. The foot gear selector lever has snapped off and has took the end nipple of the shaft with it. There is still a fair amount of the shaft sticking out the engine, but this has almost rounded off. Is it possible to just clamp another gear selector lever pedal on real tight, or am I looking at a new gear selector shaft?

Any help is much appreciated.251218

truckerlump
03-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Hi Guys.

Just picked up this Big Red 200es 1985 yesterday. Got a steal being only £230 ($320)!! The guy had it sat in his barn for the past 5 years. I hooked a new battery up, put some fresh fuel in and on the second pull....She was alive!!

There is however 2 problems I am hope for some help with:

1. When I push the electric start the motor just whirls and wails. Nothing happens. It sounds like its spinning but thats it? Could it be the bushes in the starter? If so, is this an easy repair?

2. The foot gear selector lever has snapped off and has took the end nipple of the shaft with it. There is still a fair amount of the shaft sticking out the engine, but this has almost rounded off. Is it possible to just clamp another gear selector lever pedal on real tight, or am I looking at a new gear selector shaft?

Any help is much appreciated.251218I ran into the same problem you don't want to heat that shaft up because there is a rubber seal around it and it doesn't take much to make it leak so I say new shaft just have to open case not that bad

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fabiodriven
03-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Good score!

I don't know what your starter problem is going to be, but if it does spin but doesn't engage I would suspect something other than the brushes, but I'm no expert.

As far as the shifter shaft, I agree with what was posted above. Take it apart and replace the shaft, problem solved!

mendoAu
03-26-2018, 11:21 PM
You might be able to hear if the gears in the starter assembly (several)are spinning with a rod or stethoscope. There possibly is also a problem with the flywheel clutch which has a lot of moving parts. Here's a similar clutch but not the one you will need. Careful....get the right (rare) replacement.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Big-Red-ATC-250ES-Flywheel-with-One-Way-Gear-Starter-Clutch/122719103622?fits=Year%3A1985%7CModel%3ABig+Red+25 0&hash=item1c92a0ea86:g:Kz4AAOSw62VZxFWR&vxp=mtr

You will probably have to tear it down and see what is faulty. Pay attention to the washers positions along with the gears. If you hear the starter spinning it's not the starter, maybe the starter gear but be careful taking that starter apart...simple to remove the whole starter and bench test it.

ps2fixer
03-29-2018, 05:37 AM
For the starter problem, I'd say pull it out and check the gear first. Next would be the reduction gear set. I haven't worked with the 200es a lot, but there's a part on the 84 diagram labeled as a starter clutch, I assume it's something similar to the 250es engines which uses a 1 way bearing. When the 250es bearing goes bad, it slips both directions, aka starter spins, engine doesn't spin.

The 1984 200es parts should work for you, but I know very little about the 85 200es since I'm from the USA and that machine doesn't exist here unless it was imported.