PDA

View Full Version : Garage/shop ideas

Big G
03-27-2018, 05:58 PM
Hey guys, my wife and I are gonna be building a garage addition to our home. It will be 30 wide x 28 deep. The only thing is half of the width (15ft) will be a "bonus room" for the kids, which really only leaves me with a 15x28 shop. So in other words, I guess it's essentially a really deep single car garage. It will have a decent (10ft) height ceiling.

I've been racking my brain trying to imagine the best layout for bench, shelves, parked trikes, tools (compressor, standing grinder, drill press, etc.). I've Googled for some ideas, but find most layouts cater to woodshop ideas. Thought maybe I'd ask you guys if you could post up some pics of you shop/garage?

Any thoughts on what works well and what doesn't would be appreciated!

jeswinehart
03-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, my wife and I are gonna be building a garage addition to our home. It will be 30 wide x 28 deep. The only thing is half of the width (15ft) will be a "bonus room" for the kids, which really only leaves me with a 15x28 shop. So in other words, I guess it's essentially a really deep single car garage. It will have a decent (10ft) height ceiling.

I've been racking my brain trying to imagine the best layout for bench, shelves, parked trikes, tools (compressor, standing grinder, drill press, etc.). I've Googled for some ideas, but find most layouts cater to woodshop ideas. Thought maybe I'd ask you guys if you could post up some pics of you shop/garage?

Any thoughts on what works well and what doesn't would be appreciated!

For me, every thing is bench mounted too save floor space. And those tools are not bolted down to allow me to move them about as needed. I use c clamps to hold in place. All are on felt so I don't Mar up counter top my wife finished for me.

big specht
03-27-2018, 09:04 PM
Jhon that's way to organized and I didn't see the most important part of the shop. THE FRIDGE !

big specht
03-27-2018, 09:08 PM
One thing I've come to like was warehouse shelves like for pallets they are heavy duty and adjustable

jeswinehart
03-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Jhon that's way to organized and I didn't see the most important part of the shop. THE FRIDGE !

Fridge is 1 door away Big Specht :)
Dont forget LOTS of outlets !
So yeah, consider eletrical needs in your plans.
Normally my full size van and Mrs. auto are inside,,, van is in shop getting brakes done ( I hate working on vehicals)

plastikosmd
03-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Garagejournal.com
Great site

200xman
03-28-2018, 06:05 AM
Go taller and have the play room over the garage. Then its a real win/win.

big specht
03-28-2018, 06:39 AM
Fridge is 1 door away Big Specht :)
Dont forget LOTS of outlets !
So yeah, consider eletrical needs in your plans.
Normally my full size van and Mrs. auto are inside,,, van is in shop getting brakes done ( I hate working on vehicals)

Lol ok I just didn't want to you dehydrate while in the shop !

El Camexican
03-28-2018, 10:16 AM
My two cents...

Realistically think about what the biggest project you will ever undertake in there is and set yourself up to accommodate it.

Use your walls as much as possible, it's free space. Multilevel racking set up to accommodate something big under the first shelf (like a trike) is also a way to double, or triple up your use of space. Rafter storage is another freebie and you may even want to use the rafters in the kids area for storage.

The other thing I like are wheels. Compressors, welders, torches and tool boxes on wheels will leave you with future options as needed.

If you do own something that is going to need a permanent spot think it out before you set it in place. Way easier to sketch things out on paper than move them physically.

Have fun!

atctim
03-28-2018, 01:51 PM
My actual "shop" is only 15' X 11' and has everything I need in it. It took some careful planning and a lot of time, but here is my work bench and tool layout.

Big G
03-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Very nice setup jeswinehart! I took note of your use of pegboard on all exposed walls. Thank you for posting pics :beer

Big G
03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Garagejournal.com
Great site

Thank you plastikosmd...I'll definitely check it out!

atctim
03-28-2018, 01:57 PM
the other side of shop and storage units from Home Depot251273

Big G
03-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Go taller and have the play room over the garage. Then its a real win/win.

That was the original plan, however building regulations where I live won't allow it :(

Big G
03-28-2018, 02:05 PM
My two cents...

Realistically think about what the biggest project you will ever undertake in there is and set yourself up to accommodate it.

Use your walls as much as possible, it's free space. Multilevel racking set up to accommodate something big under the first shelf (like a trike) is also a way to double, or triple up your use of space. Rafter storage is another freebie and you may even want to use the rafters in the kids area for storage.

The other thing I like are wheels. Compressors, welders, torches and tool boxes on wheels will leave you with future options as needed.

If you do own something that is going to need a permanent spot think it out before you set it in place. Way easier to sketch things out on paper than move them physically.

Have fun!

All good points El Camexican! I too like the idea of lining up several trikes (rear wheels against wall) under shelving to make good use of that first level of floor space, and then go high on shelving above. And yes, wheels on the drill press, grinder stand, tool box, etc. are good ideas.

jeswinehart
03-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Well please post up your progress/design pictures as you proceed Big G.

Thanks, john

Big G
03-28-2018, 06:49 PM
My actual "shop" is only 15' X 11' and has everything I need in it. It took some careful planning and a lot of time, but here is my work bench and tool layout.

Thanks for the pic Tim! I see you're another advocate for peg board! ha ha

fieldy
03-28-2018, 09:57 PM
I like to roll around on a seat to work on trikes and have wrenches handy. I keep my tires and wheels under the bench on a horizonal pipe too.251297
Also a vise that can be removed from bench, replace with a wire wheel or 2 stroke motor stand. 251295
It is handy in limited work areas. I also like an extension cord and air hose hanging down from ceiling center. Spooled retractable lines would be great.

atctim
03-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the pic Tim! I see you're another advocate for peg board! ha ha

Peg board and steel walls. Harbor Freight sells magnetic hooks, and rare earth magnets. The beauty is you can move them all around without hurting your walls. When things are hanging in plain site - it makes it so much harder to lose things, and trust me, I know how to lose things really well. Also - If I may speak about lighting. LED lighting has become super cheap. I have seven 4' LED lights in my tiny shop. Good lighting makes everything better (except developing film).

Tri-Z 250
03-29-2018, 10:23 AM
I use a rolling scaffold for painting/drywall work type. It's adjustable platform with climbing rails on the ends. It great cause of limited space. I can roll it out if needed or break it down and hang it against the wall when not needed. Right now it's got tires and rims stacked on top with 4 minis under. I would love commercial shelves but have no room for perminate base unit. So when I need to I roll the minis out then the rack which fits under garage door to pad under overhang. That way I have tare down work area in minutes.

Big G
03-29-2018, 01:49 PM
I like to roll around on a seat to work on trikes and have wrenches handy. I keep my tires and wheels under the bench on a horizonal pipe too.251297
Also a vise that can be removed from bench, replace with a wire wheel or 2 stroke motor stand. 251295
It is handy in limited work areas. I also like an extension cord and air hose hanging down from ceiling center. Spooled retractable lines would be great.

A stool on wheels...great idea! Also like the removal vise idea. Thank you fieldy :beer

Big G
03-29-2018, 02:07 PM
I use a rolling scaffold for painting/drywall work type. It's adjustable platform with climbing rails on the ends. It great cause of limited space. I can roll it out if needed or break it down and hang it against the wall when not needed. Right now it's got tires and rims stacked on top with 4 minis under. I would love commercial shelves but have no room for perminate base unit. So when I need to I roll the minis out then the rack which fits under garage door to pad under overhang. That way I have tare down work area in minutes.

Thanks Tri-Z...rolling scaffolding - never thought of that!