PDA

View Full Version : 85 86 Atc 250r motor mounts/plates, When did eBay dry up.

MtPleasantMadmn
03-28-2018, 10:38 PM
I bought a nice 86 250r roller recently, and just scored a motor. I used to be able to find everything on ebay i needed, but I cant find any motor mounts anywhere. Is anyone making aftermarket or reproductions? seems they are non existent.even some good used ones .

ps2fixer
03-29-2018, 04:28 AM
You might have to just keep an eye out on ebay for a while. Seems like when you don't need something, it's everywhere, but as soon as you need it, there's none around.

Aftermarket mounts would be a neat idea, too bad none of them are just flat metal that could be simply laser cut, atleast not that I know of.

ironchop
03-29-2018, 12:35 PM
I bought a nice 86 250r roller recently, and just scored a motor. I used to be able to find everything on ebay i needed, but I cant find any motor mounts anywhere. Is anyone making aftermarket or reproductions? seems they are non existent.even some good used ones .I've had the same problem. I've been looking for some for my 86 for about a year on eBay and when I did find them, sellers wanted $80- $110 for motor mounts sometimes it was just the front two and the head steady brackets without the rear swinger mount. ThreeWheelinfeelin on here is looking for the same thing

I passed because those prices are kind of ridiculous in my opinion but now I'm regretting not biting the bullet and buying them. People seem to want $40+ for the little red chain guard that goes.

I know the rear one of an 86-87 only TRX250R will work on ATC. I also know that you used to be able to find new billet head steadies for the TRX but they won't work on ATC.

Im a machinist so once I get my hands on a set, I'm pretty sure I'm going to make some repop front motor mounts for sure and possibly a billet head steady because they're hard to find used not attached to a frame already. No telling how soon that will be though cuz I have alot on my plate at the moment.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

MtPleasantMadmn
03-29-2018, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to have to pull the ones off my 85 and fabricate the 4 ones that are red plates.shouldnt be too bad

ps2fixer
03-29-2018, 07:13 PM
In theory you could use flat steel with the right pattern, and weld a spacer on it for the narrower section. Not really ideal or the strongest, but could get you atleast up and running.

@ironchop

how do you go about bending the metal accurately for something like this? I assume there's a machine designed to bend metal at a spec'ed degree? I've done a little sheet metal work, welding, etc, but all bending has been eye for any projects I've done. I agree that the used motor mounts should be max $50, more like $20ish, but with high demand comes high prices.

ironchop
03-29-2018, 07:26 PM

@ironchop

how do you go about bending the metal accurately for something like this? I assume there's a machine designed to bend metal at a spec'ed degree? ....

We have manual brakes and hydraulic brake presses with angled dies but I would probably 3D profile a pair of die blocks and press them after cutting the profile on the plasma table out of sheet for expediency.

It is a bit of work to sort out before you can get the proper bend angles and the holes located correctly oriented between the frame bolt holes and the head bolt hole after it's bent

The other way, and somewhat easier with alot less fine tuning involved is to mill billet head stays. I'm undecided which route I'll take but I'm leaning toward stamping them instead of milling.

MtPleasantMadmn
03-29-2018, 07:31 PM
I pulled everything off my 85 that I need.The 2 fronts should be pretty straightforward. right side weld nuts like the original one. the upper head brackets once it's cut out, I'm guessing heat ,hammer and a vise . We will see how it goes.

MtPleasantMadmn
03-29-2018, 07:33 PM
if it's a success, I'll post up some pics.

MtPleasantMadmn
03-30-2018, 01:51 PM
After a trip to Lowe's and a few hours fabrication they look pretty good. Now for a test fit251356251356

ironchop
03-30-2018, 01:56 PM
After a trip to Lowe's and a few hours fabrication they look pretty good. Now for a test fit251356251356I'd say you nailed it.

Now hurry up and make ten more sets....just kidding. I found some last night.

ps2fixer
03-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Nice work on making them, probably better looking than what I'd be able to make lol. Not to poke at you or anything, but it looks like the spot welds on the nuts are a little cold/too much wire speed. Not like it's going to be a problem for just holding a nut though and a lot better than most bubblegum welds I've seen. If you have a 110v welder, never mind my comment, they are probably hard enough to get find adjusted enough to get those perfect looking welds (top of weld should basically be 90 degrees from the two surfaces, no bubbled up or down). Never used a 110v one, but a smaller 220v unit was able but wasn't consistent. I'm not there in person, so I could be seeing the photos wrong too, hard to envision a 3d object in 2d sometimes.

If you do a lot of welding, or want to get into it more, check out some videos on the HTP welders, they are even 4 wheel drive (for the wire pusher), wire nesting basically never happens with them. They also use two power supplies, one for the wire control and the other for the welder power, the wire speed is super smooth on them. It's like the high end commercial units, but for homeowners.

MtPleasantMadmn
03-30-2018, 04:33 PM
Yes it's just an old 110 powermig I've had for years. good for small jobs. the hardest part was getting the second bend done without messing up the first with the heat. torch,vise,big chisel and hammer is what I used. Used a metal band saw mounted in a vise to cut it out ,and a drill press .homegrown metal fabrication

ps2fixer
03-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Ahh ok, yea those look fine for 110v then lol. I'm just too used to my dad's HTP, had to turn a vacuum switch into a plug on my car and the finished weld was almost perfectly flat, almost looked like we poured the metal in and it cooled nice and smooth. Probably should have grabbed a photo before throwing it back in the car, oh well. The vacuum switch is for the idle up for power steering, it's a v8, so it never needs it anyway and the part was failing.

The bends look spot on, or very close, I have a hard time eyeballing things like that. Probably why I stick to wire harnesses, I can overshoot a little and it works out well. If those were cleaned up a little, and the bends didn't have the chisel marks, I think they'd sell fairly well in the 3ww shop/ebay.

Big Snatch
07-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Looking to sell some? If anyone can or has made a set of front and head stay mounts and would sell please let me know!

oldskool83
07-23-2018, 08:17 AM
I'll tell hre to start making mount kits. He already make frames and swingers and pegs for 250r atcs.

Big Snatch
07-23-2018, 03:21 PM
I'll tell hre to start making mount kits. He already make frames and swingers and pegs for 250r atcs.

Info on frames and swingers please! Any pics?

MtPleasantMadmn
07-24-2018, 10:40 PM
253735They worked out excellent with a little tweaking of the holes. Hope to have bike finally finished in 2 weeks for Breezewood race.

oldskool83
07-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Hre will make them. He's done some already. Right is repo. Left is oem. Here's one of his 5 250r frames being made. Swinger pics on his site. Www.hreatv.com

If you send him what you want repod he will do it. Powder coating also avaible.

Or email direct at informinfirmation@hreatv.com tell him a-A-aron sent ya.

Peace out girlscouts.

MtPleasantMadmn
08-07-2018, 08:38 PM
253902Here's a second set I made. got 1 hole off a little on each of the the head
mounts .but they are a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to bend WITHOUT a press and dies

beta119
10-11-2018, 04:41 PM
does anyone know if 86 atc250r parts fit for an 87? finally found one tore it down and redoing it all, needing some parts