PDA

View Full Version : 200es 1984

Beau
03-31-2018, 10:10 PM
So it's been running great until yesterday.
It started popping. Not backfiring. Still has decent power but doesn't want to stay idling as well. Little throttle keeps it running but with popping.
Pulled the dip stick and it was shooting oil out.

Kids were riding it around in 2nd maybe 3rd and not all that hard. Rode it for a few hours. Is over heating or burning up the motor possible.

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 09:49 AM
If it seemed to happen all of a sudden I would pull cdi cover and check the timing and fireing make sure everything is good no missing or broken parts and maybe pull side cover and make sure oil pump isn't plugged up with garbage. Prolly not the most qualified to answer but somthing to start with is it smoking real bad when it's running?

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Also check jets in carb maybe one is partially blocked?

Beau
04-01-2018, 10:52 AM
If it seemed to happen all of a sudden I would pull cdi cover and check the timing and fireing make sure everything is good no missing or broken parts and maybe pull side cover and make sure oil pump isn't plugged up with garbage. Prolly not the most qualified to answer but somthing to start with is it smoking real bad when it's running?

Doesn't smoke at all.
Carb would be ok but I just paid to have it rebuilt so I hope not.

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 11:06 AM
The only thing has me puzzled is why oil would be shooting out of it to build up that much pressure sounds like somthing is plugged up in there. If carb was just rebuilt I could still check the when it's fireing to make sure it's not fireing too early

350for350
04-01-2018, 08:46 PM
I would guess that the oil is coming out because of the rotating parts inside are slinging it out. You shouldn't have it running without the dipstick installed. I made that mistake with my Tecate4 once (except it has a fill plug and a sight glass, not a dipstick). What a mess!

Beau
04-02-2018, 01:06 AM
I run Chinese cdi boxes. Is this what happens when the cdi starts going out?

ps2fixer
04-02-2018, 01:17 AM
Don't have experience with the Chinese CDI's when they fail, but generally when a Honda one fails, it either works or doesn't work like a bad connection.

Check the oil level and make sure if it isn't consuming/leaking oil, pretty sure besides that, flinging out oil is normal. There's a crank case vent tubing, I think it goes behind the seat, make sure it's venting correctly there, if not it could cause extra pressure in the crank case and cause similar effects too. If it's blowing out a lot of air/mist, the rings might be shot and there's a lot of blow by, but generally you'd have some smoking going on in the exhaust from burning oil.

My guess is the spark advancer springs under the CDI cover on the head. It will still run with them messed up, but it won't run right. If you find them stretched, rusted badly, broken, or missing, you can get another set at the link below, or order them from your favorite Honda dealer for a bit cheaper (use the part number in the listing) with a possible back order wait.

http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=304_307_315&product_id=403

Let us know if you find anything and good luck with the diag/repairs.