PDA

View Full Version : Its getting warmer... Time for rear bearings

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 10:28 AM
As winter comes to an end and its gets warmer I can be out in the shop getting the wheelers ready for maintenece. Sadly all of the deep snow riding has left the rear bearings completely destroyed. Yesterday I pulled them and noticed just a little bit of play between the Axel and the inner race. Obviously allot of play is very bad but my question is how snugly should the bearing fit on the axel? And do they make repair bearings with a thicker inner race for worn out axels?
You guys have been super helpful so far so I figured I would ask.

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 10:31 AM
All torn apart

ironchop
04-01-2018, 11:10 AM
As winter comes to an end and its gets warmer I can be out in the shop getting the wheelers ready for maintenece. Sadly all of the deep snow riding has left the rear bearings completely destroyed. Yesterday I pulled them and noticed just a little bit of play between the Axel and the inner race. Obviously allot of play is very bad but my question is how snugly should the bearing fit on the axel? And do they make repair bearings with a thicker inner race for worn out axels?
You guys have been super helpful so far so I figured I would ask.

Thicker inner race for repair...no such product. If the axle were a full millimeter smaller than the bearing, you might be able to find a different bearing with the required dimensions.

They should slip on easily without force but not have alot of wiggle, if that makes sense

Is that axle all grooved up from previous bad bearings or what?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Not at all no scoring chunks missing I m sure timken bearings have a little bit of play in themselves just figured I would ask
P.s the play I'm talking about would be way less than 1mm it'll prolly be ok though

ironchop
04-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Not at all no scoring chunks missing I m sure timken bearings have a little bit of play in themselves just figured I would ask
P.s the play I'm talking about would be way less than 1mm it'll prolly be ok thoughA mm is about nine or ten sheets of paper stacked, for reference. Each sheet is roughly .004 and a mm is about .040 (.03937)

Are you sure all the play is between the inner race and the axle or is it between the inner and outer race?

Sealed axle bearings are never really sealed at all. It's just a snap in cover to try to keep the grease in and water out. Water resistant rather than waterproof.

You'll probably get another season out of them since they aren't that bad and some aftermarket bearings may have a sloppier fit than others, I've found out.

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 01:38 PM
No kidding the inner and outer races do have a little play before I took them off they were grinding like crazy I haven't popped the covers of the bearings off to look at the condition of the balls themselves I just figured they were toast. As far as aftermarket kits what would you suggest. Like an "all balls" kit or somthing different?

ironchop
04-01-2018, 01:46 PM
No kidding the inner and outer races do have a little play before I took them off they were grinding like crazy I haven't popped the covers of the bearings off to look at the condition of the balls themselves I just figured they were toast. As far as aftermarket kits what would you suggest. Like an "all balls" kit or somthing different?Yes I've used All Balls in a few different machines with good results. I prefer OEM always if I can get them, if not, I buy All Balls

Wbeverly07
04-01-2018, 01:57 PM
I might end up going with all balls only because that things been beat on and now the kids play with it so who knows how much longer it's got lol might have to put oem in my rig when it's time though ;)

Wbeverly07
04-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Update: got it all back together today turns out tightening up the 2 41mm nuts on the axel took up allot of the slop I was worried about and freed up the back brakes . the thing flies now!

Thor34
04-03-2018, 12:03 PM
I know this is already back together but for next time keep in mind that some bearing manufacturers make seals that are designed specifically to keep grease in and dirt and water out. Take a look at some of the higher end commercial mowers many of them use PEER 2RSTFP seals in their spindles and pulleys. I have had great success replacing worn out bearing s with that seal type on my equipment. You can get them through some distributors like Motion Industries and they are sometimes online on Amazon but sometimes when you buy off of there you don't always get the brand you thought you were.

Wbeverly07
04-03-2018, 08:06 PM
That's good to know I'll probably end up tearing it back down in the near future for brake pads anyways so I'll deffinetly check it out motion industries has a website?

Thor34
04-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I usually check their website for pricing and stock (sometimes in regional warehouse) and then call the local branch with what I want. If they don't have it in stock there, they will get it from the regional warehouse in a day or two.

https://www.motionindustries.com/productCatalogSearch.jsp