PDA

View Full Version : Weak Spark

wb225dx
04-05-2018, 09:12 AM
YTM225dx ran fine Tuesday....went to ride yesterday and wouldn't start. Plugged my spark tester inline and there is barely enough juice to light the bulb...not even enough to show a spark on a grounded plug. It was wet and raining when I parked it. Doesn't matter if its battery crank or hand pull, still super weak spark. I took all connections apart and they looked good. Could it be a bad ground on the coil from the moisture? Where would you start looking? Stator and or CDI....maybe the voltage regulator?

yaegerb
04-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Unscrew your coil wire cap and cut 1/4” off the coil wire. Screw your cap back on and see if that makes a difference.

wb225dx
04-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Unscrew your coil wire cap and cut 1/4” off the coil wire. Screw your cap back on and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks...I'll give that a try tonight

wb225dx
04-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Cut a fresh end on the coil wire but it didn't make a difference. Cleaned up the mount to assure good ground...but that didn't help. Anybody got ideas?

DAM shop
04-06-2018, 08:15 AM
YTM225dx ran fine Tuesday....went to ride yesterday and wouldn't start. Plugged my spark tester inline and there is barely enough juice to light the bulb...not even enough to show a spark on a grounded plug. It was wet and raining when I parked it. Doesn't matter if its battery crank or hand pull, still super weak spark. I took all connections apart and they looked good. Could it be a bad ground on the coil from the moisture? Where would you start looking? Stator and or CDI....maybe the voltage regulator?

Electrical components do go bad but my experience with those actually failing are few and in between, not saying it can't happen. You mention several things that caught my attention, "ran good when parked" "was wet when parked." If it was me I would check all the wiring first, loose connection, bad ground I would then go from there..

fieldy
04-06-2018, 08:58 AM
I would try a new battery, if there is any questioning it. Also a new spark plug.

wb225dx
04-18-2018, 08:56 AM
If anybody has a similar problem....I found my issue to be the stator source coil. Replaced the ignition coil and nothing changed...replaced the source coil in the stator and have nice spark again.

ironchop
04-18-2018, 09:50 AM
If anybody has a similar problem....I found my issue to be the stator source coil. Replaced the ignition coil and nothing changed...replaced the source coil in the stator and have nice spark again.Thanks for the follow-up

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

mendoAu
04-19-2018, 12:55 AM
Another THANK YOU for the update. I guess that alot of guy's get their gear fixed and go riding with a smile on their face forgetting to update on the questions they ask and the answers they got. Nothing worse than reading a couple of pages of HELP..I Can't get this thing running and get to the end of the thread with no follow up from the original poster.