PDA

View Full Version : Any members here that can do surface grinding or fly cutting?

Scootertrash
04-08-2018, 10:02 AM
I'm considering buying a disc/belt sander that has some rust issues. The table has been neglected:

It looks like the mounting bracket can be removed from the bottom so it would sit flat on a surface grinder or mill table. A rough idea of the cost to do the job would be nice too, I need to figure the salvage operation into the cost to be sure it's worth it for me. ;) Don't worry about hitting the cost on the head, I'm an easy going and fair guy and understand the difficulty in estimating a price without the part in-hand.

This is from a vintage sander and the part is not available anymore, hence the reason for trying to salvage it.

Thanks !

ETA: Unfortunately all I have is pics, I don't have it on hand to gauge how deep the pitting is.

HairyJR
04-08-2018, 02:31 PM
As you'll probably never be holding tolerances to the thousandth's sand blast removing the heavy scale and rust. Then place a couple sheets of sandpaper on a marble counter top and sand until you've reach a satisfactory cleanup. Paint as needed.

"HJ" 251513 :beer

plastikosmd
04-08-2018, 03:02 PM
I would probably do the same as above as not to take the top down so your slot height doesn’t change much. If u were close u could use my shop. I’m happy to blast it for u or whatever u decide.

ironchop
04-08-2018, 08:09 PM
If those bottom edges aren't parallel with the top surface, you'd have to indicate it in all flat in all directions before you could grind or fly cut that correctly.

+3......I also vote sandblast and then sand it on a surface plate. Or do you have a flat stone for stoning mill tables or sharpening stuff? Those work great too and have fine and course sides. Use oil.
I stone mating surfaces on small engine heads and decks with this and the fine side gives a very smooth and shiny finish
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180409/67cee2536b48408c34cbf611ea94ab75.jpg

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Scootertrash
04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys!

Sorry for the delay in responding, been busy (as usual :rolleyes:)

The reason I was looking for surface grinding or fly cutting was because this would be a restoration project, so a pitted table wouldn't suffice, although sandblasting would be fine for just cleaning up the rust to use as is if that were going to be the case.

'chop- I hear ya on the flatness of the bottom of the table, I worked in a machine shop for about ten years when I was younger. Ran surface grinders, mills, lathes, broaching machines, ran the heat treat ovens/freezer on the night shift. Kind of wish I would have stuck with it, but the money just wasn't there back then. I've retained enough that I have a small lathe in my garage right now and plan on a full size lathe and mill once I get my shop built.

I do have a couple of pieces of marble here I use for flat sanding things like heads, valve covers, etc, to clean them up. I'll be checking into that stone you posted, that would come in handy. :beer ;)

Anywho-- I ended up not buying the sander, price with shipping was more than the machine was worth. Another will come by eventually, hopefully something local since garbage...errrr...um garage sale season is right around the corner

ironchop
04-10-2018, 10:01 PM
'chop- I hear ya on the flatness of the bottom of the table, I worked in a machine shop for about ten years when I was younger. Ran surface grinders, mills, lathes, broaching machines, ran the heat treat ovens/freezer on the night shift. Kind of wish I would have stuck with it, but the money just wasn't there back then....

The money still ain't there, brother. I don't blame ya for moving on. When I started this in 1989, the median ceiling for a machinist then is exactly what it is today. Thirty freaking years of stagnant wages, shops moving to foriegn countries, automation, losing pensions, higher cost healthcare, no employer match for your 401K these days since '07.

Every time some politician or their sycophant voters blathers on about how "you can just go back to school and get a degree" or "we'll just help those unemployed in manufacturing get an education and find new careers" as they destroy the manufacturing sector in favor of bigger profit margins, investor dividends, and lower operating costs, I want to punch them in the piehole. They think that turning someone's life upside down is perfectly acceptable.

I can LITERALLY make ANYTHING. If I can't make it outright, I can make the individual pieces to the machine that will make it for me....well except Meth....I can't make meth, I flunked chemistry.

What I get in return for being able to read/write code, CAD design 3D models, setup jobs, program machines of all kinds, build fixtures, mig and tig weld, use coordinate geometry and trigonometry, and bid jobs is to have to bust my ass to break 50K a year while a kid I know half my age already makes 60K a year as an HVAC technician. My son's friend of that same age and friend of the HVAC tech made nearly 80K last year as a union Pipeline Welder's laborer. He watches pipes for leaks after they weld and fill them with water among other things.

Thanks to crap legislation like NAFTA, TPP and certain unions of certain trades selling out their members nationwide to certain political party agendas, I'd say my days as a machinist are drawing to a close. Everyone whose retirement plans are invested in manufacturing don't care about any of us blue collar folks. Libertarians like Ron Paul are now saying stupid shyte like "we have a responsibility to the global community to help keep them in opportunities for employment in manufacturing" in response and contradiction to Trump's new tarriffs. Seems everyone is against us if it means they would need to pay more for better quality or take a smaller dividend check every quarter.

People would rather ignore Industry pimping kids for $1.95 an hour in some crap country, destroying foriegn environments, with no worker protections, as long as their disposable POS products work long enough to outlast their short term memories. Walmart, Amazon, and China are the new Gods of the American consumer and as long as they got enough money left over for beer, nail salons, Starbucks, weed, cable TV, iPhones, sweatshop fashions, and useless plastic trinkets, then they couldn't care less about folks like me. I'm tired of trying to vote for someone who says that they care only to be betrayed by them or to sit and helplessly watch those very people sabotage anyone else's attempts to do anything to help us because they actually give a damn.

I'm not just upset with Wall Street or Corporate Earth, I'm mad at consumers for choosing cheap junk made by exploited workers over quality long-lasting goods made by their own neighbors, family, and friends.

I'll be 47 in a couple weeks and I'm tired of pissing in the wind.

Might just go be a truck driver. I'm too old to be paying off twenty years of school loans.....maybe I'll fix air conditioners too. Who knows.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk