PDA

View Full Version : 200S Front Axle Will Not Budge!

Cow Pie
04-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Hello and thanks in advance for any and all help.

1985 200S that has been a nightmare to disassemble. Almost EVERYTHING has fought me coming apart. I think this thing spent years out in the weather. So many items seized... sigh. The very last unit to come apart is the front axle. I finally got it out of the threaded shock lower by welding a nut to the other end, but noe the axle will not come out of the brake backing plate and wheel hub combo. By the shop manual it looks like it has to come out away from the threads, correct? Am I missing something? So far the press and heat have made no difference. If no love on this I might have to purchase another front hub, drum, and backing plate.
Thanks!

ironchop
04-09-2018, 08:19 PM
Ok. Three things are probably all going at once here.

1) there's a sleeve in between the bearings that prevents them from crushing when you tighten the axle. It's called a distance collar. They typically get water inside them from creek riding and such and commonly rust to the axle.

2) sometimes that same water rusts the inner bearing races to the axle as well.

3) the brake backing panel also corrodes inside and siezes itself to the axle commonly.

Have you tried clamping the backing plate in a vise in between some pine studs or soft wood and putting an impact to the end with the nut you welded on? Go back and forth and hopefully it will break loose

I would get some Kroil penetrating oil and stand the whole assembly on end and try to get it in the backing plate hole and let it soak overnight. You might even have to reapply over the course of a few days. The fit to the axle on those is fairly snug when new and getting stuck from aluminum corroding is common too

You can put a nut on the threaded end too to protect from mushrooming the axle and and try a few stiff smacks with a steel hammer (not dead blow or rubber mallet)

Sometimes they knock loose but I would soak it in Kroil or penetrating oil overnight first.

Front axles used on eBay for these are not usually cheap because they're in hot demand. I'm sure you can guess why. I had to buy a 200ES axle used and I think I paid almost $50 shipped. The other one was a little cheaper but not by much

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

JeffG
04-09-2018, 10:24 PM
I am in need of a front axle for my 85 250R. I did not see anything available on line. Any suggestions on what other years or models may work? Forks are bent as well. I bought her new and raced in 85 and 86. Sold to a friend and got it back about 10 years ago in pieces...I just started putting it back together and will have a pretty good grocery list of parts needed by the time I'm done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shortline10
04-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Were in Florida are you ?
I have a local shop in south Florida and can probably help .

I am in need of a front axle for my 85 250R. I did not see anything available on line. Any suggestions on what other years or models may work? Forks are bent as well. I bought her new and raced in 85 and 86. Sold to a friend and got it back about 10 years ago in pieces...I just started putting it back together and will have a pretty good grocery list of parts needed by the time I'm done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wonderboy
04-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Hey Cowpie,

Ironchop is right, it is most likely the distance collar that is seized onto the axle. Even though it may be seized onto the axle, if you are able to knock the bearing out (or pop the bearing seal, hammer out the cage around the individual balls, scoot the balls to one side and try to free the inner and outer bearing races). If you can get the one bearing free, that will eliminate one of the constraints holding the axle in. At the other end, is the brake hub (the part with the brake linkage) able to rotate on the shaft? I wonder if the brake shoes are possibly hanging up and that is holding you up from removing the hub. It should theoretically just slide off. If you can push the hub further ONTO the axle, do that and take a file to the outside of the axle to make sure there aren't any burrs holding up the brake hub from sliding clean off the threaded end of the axle.

Now, to jump to the reassembly aspect of this repair, when you get your new parts and are putting it all together, slather that new axle with anti seize compound (or at least some grease). Make this part of your annual maintenance like changing engine oil and cleaning the air filter. Remove the front axle and reapply anti-seize.

Cow Pie
04-10-2018, 11:01 AM

As I'm learning how this forum stuff operates, is this a prime example of a thread hijack?
Just asking.

Cow Pie
04-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Ironchop and Wonderboy, thank you very much for the tips. I'll work on it a bit today and see if I can make any progress. All good pointers. I do know that patience is key with this issue. I will report back with my results.

$28.00 for an aerosol can of Kroil! Woo...

fabiodriven
04-10-2018, 11:53 AM
As I'm learning how this forum stuff operates, is this a prime example of a thread hijack?
Just asking.

It is. That person should have started a new thread. Hey that's why it's the new members section, lol!

JeffG
04-10-2018, 09:51 PM
My apologies...Still figuring it out. Good luck Cow Pie, I didn't mean to hone in on your thread.

Cow Pie
04-11-2018, 04:05 PM
My apologies...Still figuring it out. Good luck Cow Pie, I didn't mean to hone in on your thread.

No problem Jeff, figuring it out myself. Thanks for stepping up!

atc007
04-11-2018, 07:09 PM
You need access to a press for this. Heat and beat only goes so far :(

Cow Pie
04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
You need access to a press for this. Heat and beat only goes so far :(

Had it in the press while heating. Stopped before I destroyed the assembly. Soaking for a few days before I try again. Thanks for the tip anyway. Cheers!