PDA

View Full Version : Cow Pie's Attempt at a Build Thread, ATC 200S

Cow Pie
04-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Well, after spending a little bit of time here It seems appropriate to start a build thread. There is so much good information and maybe in some small way I could help someone else like others have helped me so far. This place is amazing! Smart folks, crazy folks, nubs (like me), funny folks, and the occasional teacher (started learning about The Red Pill, you guys kill me!)
My background:
I started riding,wrenching, and driving machines in the '70's and have never stopped. I especially love to fix them. My first bike was a 1978 Honda XL 185S and I was hooked on dirt riding. Moved on to a Maico 250, Bultaco 250, Suzuki 400, Yamaha TT 500, TT600, (2) Honda TRX250r, Suzuki LT500, Kawasaki Mojave with a 600cc 4 cyl. street bike motor, Honda Ascot 500, Suzuki LT50 (for the kids), then on to Harley's for a bit, back to dirt Polaris 400, (2) Suzuki 250 Ozarks, and another Suzuki LT50. I still have the LT50's for the grandkids and the Polaris and an Ozark. We love to ride, hunt, fish, camp, and shoot.

Then this little red devil came into my life. 1985 ATC 200S. I drove down the street to buy a little Datsun pickup bed trailer someone made and had out on the road for $300.00. Heck of a deal I thought. Talked him down to $200.00 and handed the cash over when he says, "Are you interested in an old three wheeler?" the farmer dude asks. So of course I had to see it. It was rough! He wanted $200.00 and said it didn't run but that it ran last summer. I said I would give him $100.00 and thats all. He accepted and I came home with this (much to my wife's consternation).

I'll continue the story when I have some more time but this is where the adventure has started and my introduction to 3WW... life will never be the same!

Thanks for the fun, you guys are a hoot!

Cow Pie
04-10-2018, 08:04 PM
So I let it sit in my shop for several days contemplating on whether to tear into this thing or throw it on Craigslist and make a few dollars on it. Since I like to fix things and I'm a sucker for a challenge, I decided to keep it. After some webernet research I realized these are desirable and very cool. Looking around I landed at this site, dang! was I blown away. There's a whole darn community around these things... now I was hooked!
I like to plan things out so I made a list of what I saw that it needed and started pricing on sites and ebay. Not good! This is going to take some $'s. Seat foam, cover, rear tires, cables, recoil assembly work, all decompression parts (What!!! how much???) all of the plastics, paint/powder coat, brakes, wheel bearings, control levers... and I hadn't even got it running yet.

A picture the night I decided to keep it (I think I shared this before).

After reading several excellent posts here about getting these running, working on some simple fixes such as:
1) New spark plug
2) Ditching the funky, cheap plastic toggle switch mounted on the pseudo number plate and working on the harness cut off at the steering stem.
3) Cleaning the crud and setting the proper gap on the CDI pulse unit.
4) Cleaning every connection on the wire harness.
5) Cutting the last 1/4" off of the spark plug wire and reinserting the boot.
6) Draining all of the vintage '03 fuel from the tank and carb.
7) Perform a carb tear down, soak, clean, jet clean.
8) Drain the molasses from the case and add fresh oil.
9) Disassemble the recoil unit, clean, grease, rewind, reinstall
10) Pull until my shoulder quit and finger bled (seriously)

I had spark and then it ran! I screamed around the yard a bit, shifted through all of the gears, pulled a few wheelies, then shut it down after remembering that it had no brakes except for the rope you see in the picture that the dude tied to the front brake arm and through the missing lever pivot hole that you grab a pull on to stop. It actually worked a little bit.

Now time for disassembly and I really had no idea what I was getting into...

350for350
04-10-2018, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE I really had no idea what I was getting into...[/QUOTE]

Yes but they're FUN aren't they?

atctim
04-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Good on you CowPie. This specific ATC is the epitome of simplicity mixed with superior reliability Honda had in mind back in the 80s (the last decade where quality and longevity was in the minds of engineers!). I love the fact that you can tear these apart with such ease. One gas tank bolt, and 5 rear fender bolts, and the bike is basically naked for maintenance!

First tip - when removing the rear fenders from a 200S, only remove the 5 bolts under the seat, then loosen the grab bar bolts. the grab bar bolts pinch the fenders in to help hold them down. I can't tell you how many times myself and others get into the trunk and start un-bolting bolts that have nothing to do with the way the fenders mount. then getting the trunk bolts back in without stripping the eccentric fasteners - forget about that!

Cheers buddy!

Cow Pie
04-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Good on you CowPie. This specific ATC is the epitome of simplicity mixed with superior reliability Honda had in mind back in the 80s (the last decade where quality and longevity was in the minds of engineers!). I love the fact that you can tear these apart with such ease. One gas tank bolt, and 5 rear fender bolts, and the bike is basically naked for maintenance!

First tip - when removing the rear fenders from a 200S, only remove the 5 bolts under the seat, then loosen the grab bar bolts. the grab bar bolts pinch the fenders in to help hold them down. I can't tell you how many times myself and others get into the trunk and start un-bolting bolts that have nothing to do with the way the fenders mount. then getting the trunk bolts back in without stripping the eccentric fasteners - forget about that!

Cheers buddy!

Too late! Thanks for trying though.
Nice to hear from more experienced members that these are worthy.

Cow Pie
04-11-2018, 03:25 PM
So, tear down time.
As atctim stated before, I tried to remove all of the plastic bolts only realizing after that most were not necessary for plastic removal. Experience! I then started from rear to front working on the axle/carrier setup. Things went well until I encountered the rear brake drum. Unfortunately, this exercise was to portend efforts on the rest of my efforts. Stuck on, and I mean stuck! I used heat, penetrating oil, more heat, prying, heat, cold, slide hammer, heat, puller, heat, then a combination of heat + puller + hard raps with a brass hammer and it popped off. I saved the drum though. Experience! What a nasty mess inside there. Linings were gone, drum is terribly grooved, the precious kiss from Miss Corrosion abounds. There had to be a better way to do brakes and guess what? There is!

I posted a question on if there is a way to modify these to a rear disc and much to my pleasure, ironchop turned me on to atctim & Kintore's excellent write up http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/184952-Hardtail-Racer-Build-85-ATC200S on how to do that. Great info, great guys for sharing. Parts have been ordered! Still more to come...

Just got a bid for powder coating, can any of you chime in and tell me if this is a decent rate? Thanks

A basic estimate would be around $400. Here's a breakdown:

Frame - $160
Wheels - $120 ($40 each)
Upper fork, handle bars, other small parts - $120

The prices are for a single base coat. If you select a color we have in stock, there is no additional charge. If you want us to order powder, we charge for the cost of what we use. If you are wanting a candy or clear coat, there will be an additional charge.

We're scheduling a few weeks out, but we should be able to turn it around in a day or two. Let me know if you have any more questions and if you'd like to schedule to bring it in.

fabiodriven
04-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Lmfao. You're going to fit right in here. Great thread!

atctim
04-11-2018, 04:22 PM
I just had my bike completely powder coated and it was $400. Looking back, I think like everything else, PC has gone through the roof. Couple years ago - it would have been 1/2 that price.

Please keep this in mind when doing this project, you will have countless hours and tons of money wrapped up in something you might be able to sell for $1200 - $1500 on a good day. You have to get it in your head you are doing it for you. There is no meat on the bone in ATCs to make money refurbishing to sell. By the looks of the toys in the background of your photos - you are the kind of guy like us. Build it, ride it, keep it for good. I find redoing these simplistic machines to be very therapeutic!

knappyfeet
04-11-2018, 04:49 PM
I always like to get my stuff started/running/turning/stopping/etc before I spend one red cent on anything cosmetic.....ie paint/PC/plastics/etc. Maybe there's something catastrophic with the internals of the engine (I hope not)....you know.

Good luck

Cow Pie
04-11-2018, 05:57 PM
I just had my bike completely powder coated and it was $400. Looking back, I think like everything else, PC has gone through the roof. Couple years ago - it would have been 1/2 that price.

Please keep this in mind when doing this project, you will have countless hours and tons of money wrapped up in something you might be able to sell for $1200 - $1500 on a good day. You have to get it in your head you are doing it for you. There is no meat on the bone in ATCs to make money refurbishing to sell. By the looks of the toys in the background of your photos - you are the kind of guy like us. Build it, ride it, keep it for good. I find redoing these simplistic machines to be very therapeutic!

Exactly... I won't even begin to say how much time and money I have in that CJ7 you see, or that little '83 LT50. There is no part of this project that is meant to be an investment. You are 100% correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cow Pie
04-11-2018, 06:05 PM
I always like to get my stuff started/running/turning/stopping/etc before I spend one red cent on anything cosmetic.....ie paint/PC/plastics/etc. Maybe there's something catastrophic with the internals of the engine (I hope not)....you know.

Good luck

Good advice. Good thing we've never made that mistake before, huh? ;) Precisely why I fired it and ran it around the yard first. No smoke, good compression, no gnarly noises, shifted great. Engine is apart now... stock bore, no scoring, no taper, no bore upper wear ridge, crank good, rod to crank and rod to pin all within spec, cam and followers are toast along with the bearing surface for the cam in the head. Good head and cam on order.

Made this cool little stand this last weekend. I hate wrestling these greasy little wretches around!

ironchop
04-11-2018, 08:19 PM
200S is one of my favorite trikes.

I'm 6'6" and 240+/- and mine could haul me around no problem. My friends would laugh me off when I went riding with them until I could could weave mine thru the tightest trails quads couldn't touch. It would climb near vertical creek banks five foot high no problem. You won't be disappointed.

200X topend hop-up parts like cams and high-comp pistons with fit in that motor no problem and can provide quite the torque and horsepower boost. From stock upgrade to full race, the choice is yours if you want to go that route. They are virtually the same motor except the S has an auto clutch and pull start rather than manual clutch and kickstart on the X. It's a popular swap to put the S motor in the X chassis BUT the cool factor of building a wicked hard tail S model exceeds an Auto X, as they are referred too, by far.

Checkout Web Cams or Megacycle for cam options. Personally, I like Megacycle. I built a pretty stout 200X. You can get 10.25:1 or 12:1 pistons if you like. That compression release will help keep you from tearing your arm off if you run a hicomp piston

Good to see more S models getting worked over.

Nice CJ-7. My first vehicle was a 78 CJ-7.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Cow Pie
04-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Warning: Don't type in Web Cams.com!

Cow Pie
04-12-2018, 01:34 PM
More deconstructing:
After the rear axle/drum insanity, I moved towards the from of the trike. I took special care to label and bag everything into sub-assemblies know how precious most of these small parts are.

All went well until I started removing the last engine mount bolt. You know the one, don't you? That one at the rear on the engine, that's right, the lower one. How is it possible for corrosion to have that tight of a grip on a bolt? I twisted the engine, used a breaker bar being careful not to twist the head off, beat on it using a brass drift from both ends with the nut threaded on, twisted it again, heat, cold, penetrating oil... all over two days, mercy sakes! Finally, I got just the slightest movement from trying to drive it out, more twist, more raps the opposite way, more heat. Got it after three days of off and on work. I threw that bolt as far as I could when it came out. All mounts and connecting hardware were bagged and cataloged except for that spawn of Hades and Persephone.

I will spare more details on trying to remove the rear brake pedal because they are identical to the aforementioned. The pedal is trashed. I had no patience left. As I've stated before, it's not going to get used anyway... good riddance!

Currently, I am at 98% disassembled. The front axle/hub/brake panel are getting their revenge for the evils that I bestowed upon their rear brake pedal sibling. I have another post looking for input on how to separate what has become one. That assembly is still soaking in the solvent tank, stay tuned. Captain Weezy, ebay, or other kind souls, I might need more parts! Cheers!

ironchop
04-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Nice work. I usually swab some anti-sieze up in all the holes in aluminum stuff that a bolt goes thru so that never happened again upon reassembly

Cow Pie
04-15-2018, 07:28 PM
Howdy! How about a few questions?

1) About resistance values that I am getting from the pulse generator - The shop manual says you should get 20-30 ohms between the blue wire with yellow tracer and the green wire. I get full continuity between them. This came from a running engine. Will it still function while not returning those specific ohm readings? I hate just swapping new parts in to just see if it works.

2) Checking the lighting coil - The manual says you should check between the yellow wire and ground for full continuity for the lighting coil. When I test, I get full continuity between the yellow and green wire but nothing between the yellow and the stator plate that the coils are mounted to. Does the manual mean to say that "ground" is the green wire or is ground the stator plate? Why not the same reading for both?

3) The primary or exciter side, the manual states that there should be 245 ohms between the red/black wire and ground. This time I get infinity between the red/black and green but full continuity between red/black and the stator mounting plate (which is what would be grounded to the engine). Why is this different/reversed from the other coil?

4) The magnets in my flywheel seem weak to those that I've had experience with in the past. I always thought once a flywheel becomes weak or demagnetized, you use it as a charm and hang it from your rear-view mirror in your Urban Assault Vehicle (we know these as UAV's). Until I read an article here: https://www.scooterwest.com/flywheel-re-magnetizing-labor-remag.html that you could send in in to these folks to have the dilithium crystals reenergized. No dice for me! I sent them a request and picture of the flywheel, here is my reply:

Just got the word from the tech…
We are limited to 6 pole flywheels.
That unit has 2 poles per magnet making it an 8 pole flywheel.
Sorry we can’t help you.

Anyone know of a place that will remagnetize a flywheel?

Thanks~ 251634251635251670

Cow Pie
04-16-2018, 06:45 PM
I guess I should've asked if anyone has ever seen a flywheel lose it's magnetism?
Thanks

ironchop
04-16-2018, 07:26 PM
I guess I should've asked if anyone has ever seen a flywheel lose it's magnetism?
ThanksIve never heard of it. Doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, I've just never heard of it.

Cow Pie
04-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Ive never heard of it. Doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, I've just never heard of it.

Thanks Ironchop, it does seem unlikely but it feels weak. Usually if you stick a wrench to the magnets on these you have to pry it off. This one barely holds it and you can literally shake the wrench off.

shortline10
04-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Yes I’ve seen plenty of flywheels loose their magnetism .
That’s one of the first things I check while trying to diagnose a spark issue .

Thanks

Cow Pie
04-16-2018, 08:13 PM
That’s one of the first things I check while trying to diagnose a spark issue .

Thanks shortline10!
Does anyone re-magnetize them or is it time to add it to my mailbox mount sculpture?

What do you think? 251672

Geez! I buggered this post up... pictures all funky and stuff.

Maybe a shifter knob for the Jeep!

ironchop
04-16-2018, 08:18 PM
That’s one of the first things I check while trying to diagnose a spark issue .Learn something new every day. I wonder how many times this was my issue and I didn't know it

How do you measure it?

Cow Pie
04-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Well, I finally got the front wheel shaft out. I soaked it in solvent for a week then used the press on it again. After a few tons of pressure, I quit pressin'! Something was going to give and it wasn't going to be the right stuff. So then I sprayed the heck out of it every day with Kroil and let that soak for three days. Press again, no way! So then I figured I would try what Wonderboy said and pry the seal out, destroy the bearing cage, moved all bearings to the side, and presto! Shaft is out. Now I'm going to use the die grinder with a cut-off wheel and carefully work my way through the inner races (don't want to kiss the race mounting area), smack it with a cold chisel and it should be free. I saved every part but gosh what a process.

Still looking for some ansers on the above posts if anyone has some help?
Thanks!!!
251718251719251720 Why do these pictures keep turning sideways? They are right side up when I view them from where I have them saved?

Cow Pie
04-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Working on the build a little more. I've been very busy at work, big construction project at my plant that takes a lot of my time. Check out the construction if you want to, kinda cool drone video: https://vimeo.com/263529844
Received my used head in good shape. It was in much better condition that mine, packaged nicely too. Got several parts all cleaned up with my new blast cabinet! Head has been assembled... new springs, seals, valves and all. Engine is all clean and ready for assembly. Most parts are in for the cool disc brake mod... disc with hub, locknuts for spacers, chicom master cylinder/rear caliper, and heavy wall tubing. Still need to order the brake line. (thanks atctim and Kintore again!) Going to send stuff out to get coated after the fabricating is done. Has anyone had a fuel tank powder coated??? Still enjoying the site. You folks are a wonderful source of entertainment, knowledge, and life skills. Thanks!!
25189525189625189725189825189925190025190125190225 1903251904251905251906251907251908

Am I posting pictures correctly?

Cow Pie
04-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Almost forgot... I got the wife to model the t-shirt that I got her!

ironchop
04-27-2018, 03:56 PM
..... You folks are a wonderful source of entertainment, knowledge, and life skills. Thanks!!
Am I posting pictures correctly?

You're quite an asset here already, yourself, sir. Thanks for joining.

Great build already. Pics look great to me.

Mossberg 12ga. ?

Cow Pie
04-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Mossberg 12ga. ?

Yup, lots of unsavory characters around here since the green rush became all legal. Multiple invasions and heists. Feels like the wild west out here now. Weed might seem positive to some, but when you live in an area where the climate is perfect for growth there are far more negatives. (purposely not expanding on the negatives for fear of soap-boxing) Fortunately, it appears the free market is correcting the boom. Not quite so many out of state plates around these parts as there has been.

wonderboy
04-27-2018, 06:30 PM
I'm glad you at least got some of the front axle apart...

I agree with ironchop, you've been a great contributor to the site. It is nice to see this type of build thread. It is a lot of extra work to stop and take pictures and post up all your progress. Thank you!

That shirt!! I have to get one of those. Where did you get it?

Cow Pie
04-27-2018, 06:44 PM
I'm glad you at least got some of the front axle apart...

I agree with ironchop, you've been a great contributor to the site. It is nice to see this type of build thread. It is a lot of extra work to stop and take pictures and post up all your progress. Thank you!

That shirt!! I have to get one of those. Where did you get it?

Well cool! Glad to be a small piece of such a select community... What part of SE Michigan? I was born in Flint before mom & dad hauled my carcass out west. The shirt was at https://chupey.com/ Some very funny stuff there.
This one will be next: 251910

fabiodriven
04-27-2018, 09:05 PM
You should have this done in time for Trikefest I'd say.

wonderboy
04-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Well cool! Glad to be a small piece of such a select community... What part of SE Michigan? I was born in Flint before mom & dad hauled my carcass out west. The shirt was at https://chupey.com/ Some very funny stuff there.
This one will be next: 251910

Grew up in Paw Paw (west side) and now live in Livonia. I'm definitely ordering one of those shirts, those are great!

Cow Pie
04-30-2018, 01:09 AM
You should have this done in time for Trikefest I'd say.

That would be so much fun but alas, a trip from Oregon back east would be tough right now. I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. Get it Rag! (Been reading way too much on this site!) Maybe a trip across country on a street legal 3 wheeler?

Cow Pie
04-30-2018, 01:16 AM
Grew up in Paw Paw (west side) and now live in Livonia. I'm definitely ordering one of those shirts, those are great!

The shirt is so much fun. I wore mine to work last week under my button up. My guys died of laughter! I need to go up to City Hall in it... Rough winters back there mom & dad tell me. Suburb of Detroit? Dad says Deetroit!

Cow Pie
04-30-2018, 11:16 AM
Did some work on the disc conversion over the weekend since the gasket I ordered for the clutch cover was wrong! I guess I should have paid more attention to the fact that there is an inner AND an outer clutch cover gasket. I thought that since there is just one clutch COVER that that would be the gasket. Experience.

I'm still teaching myself fab work so don't be making fun of my skills... I will humbly accept input though. Thanks!

Started with this:

When I complete this portion of the build I'll be sure to post a "lessons learned" from the perspective of a trike modifying neophyte. Hopefully others (and myself) can learn from my struggles.

atctim
04-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Excellent work on the brake conversion! Cheers!

ironchop
04-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Nice work!