PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R Axle Carrier

JeffG
04-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Hello All,
This is my first post. Hopefully I will not need to many more because if I do, it means I've run into another problem...I'm putting my 85 250R back together after many years of sitting in bins on a shelf. It has spark and barked to life :beer. The next thing on my list is the bearing carrier. Will an 86 fit. There is a company (East Lake Axles, Oldsmar FL) near me that has new ones with bearings for $68.00...I do have an aftermarket swingarm (+2"). I think it may be JP Racing. I know I didn't go for the West Coast and I'm not sure who else was fabricating them back then. I'll need a brake mount as well since it is broken too...Anyways, if the 86 will work, I think it's my cheapest alternative. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

ironchop
04-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Hello All,
This is my first post. Hopefully I will not need to many more because if I do, it means I've run into another problem...I'm putting my 85 250R back together after many years of sitting in bins on a shelf. It has spark and barked to life :beer. The next thing on my list is the bearing carrier. Will an 86 fit. There is a company (East Lake Axles, Oldsmar FL) near me that has new ones with bearings for $68.00...I do have an aftermarket swingarm (+2"). I think it may be JP Racing. I know I didn't go for the West Coast and I'm not sure who else was fabricating them back then. I'll need a brake mount as well since it is broken too...Anyways, if the 86 will work, I think it's my cheapest alternative. Any info would be appreciated. Thank youNope... 85 and 86 carriers are different widths on the sprocket side. 86 is wider on that side than 85, and will interfere with sprocket bolts on stock setup.

Are you sure this aftermarket swingarm is for 85 hardware and carriers?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

ironchop
04-16-2018, 07:39 PM
You said the brake arm was broken.....the stud on the swingarm or the brake stay plate that the caliper attaches to?

Quick way to tell what year the swingarm uses for carrier is the brake stay are different. Take a pic of it if you can.

atc300r
04-16-2018, 08:22 PM
86 carrier bigger around than 85.

ironchop
04-16-2018, 09:11 PM
86 carrier bigger around than 85.I forgot about that part. Thanks

JeffG
04-16-2018, 10:44 PM
It's the caliper plate...I was using the stock 85 carrier so I'm guessing that is what I'll need to replace it with, and keep shopping... Thanks for the feedback.