PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler!

Mr_B0by
04-20-2018, 08:55 PM
I think my klt 250 is running hot when I mess around slow in the woods. Would adding an oil cooler and a fan would be a good idea or will i have some other problems down the line like low oil flow or whatever...
And pics and info on how to do it properly would be greatly appreciatedhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/4583d8eaebe7b338e7a799eb6561990c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/4191bb2e16ea89f302ca765161c0ab6a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/0cad7a91bb4c107911860c7ed5e1a9fd.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G903W en utilisant Tapatalk

fabiodriven
04-20-2018, 09:16 PM
I feel like you would only stand to gain by adding an oil cooler but I don't know how you would go about doing it on that bike. I added one to my XR conversion, and all I did was measure the area I had available to put the cooler itself then go on eBay and find one that was the right size. Mine was easy to plumb because the XR uses a dry sump system so I just patched the new cooler lines into the existing oil lines. In your case you're likely going to have to drill and tap somewhere into the engine.

Mr_B0by
04-20-2018, 09:27 PM
I feel like you would only stand to gain by adding an oil cooler but I don't know how you would go about doing it on that bike. I added one to my XR conversion, and all I did was measure the area I had available to put it then go on eBay and find one that was the right size. Mine was easy to plumb because the XR uses a dry sump system so I just patched the new cooler lines into the existing oil lines. In your case you're likely going to have to drill and tap somewhere into the engine.I was thinking maybe the oil pump will be working to hard to move that extra oil through the cooler.
I would mount it on the frame just behind the front fender it would have to be very small.
Drilling and tapping was in mind ive seen it done on the oil filter cap but dont know where in/out

fabiodriven
04-20-2018, 09:32 PM
I don't think it would be too much for the pump to handle. I feel like you should be fine. Depending on how it's mounted, it may take a little longer for oil to reach the top end on a cold start, but that's no biggie as long as you warm it up slowly. Again depending on how it's mounted that might not even be a concern.

coolpool
04-21-2018, 10:27 AM
That seems like a pretty big deal to do what you're thinking. You would have to find an oil gallery on the high pressure side of the pump and then return the line back to an oil gallery going to the top end. My suggestion would be to install a fan kit from a quad that is waterproof and thermostatically controlled. If you have access to a ATV boneyard you might find one for a decent price?

Rob Canadian
04-21-2018, 03:58 PM
What octane fuel are you using? I know my bike does not like the high octane (XL250R). Gets hot.

I don't know if the KLT run hot or whatever. You could drill some holes in the back of the front fender for more air flow across the engine. How hot is hot(?)

shortline10
04-21-2018, 07:23 PM
Premium fuel and a good brand synthetic ATV oil should help with your running hot issues .

Mr_B0by
04-21-2018, 11:26 PM
Running on 91 octane fuel and switching to amsoil this summer and il try to get some temp readings too I dont know if its really running hot or if its just me being paranoid what would be a normal average operating temp?