PDA

View Full Version : Clutch change - how hard?

renotrikeguy
02-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Well I think it's time to change the clutch in my 250r. I pull the clutch in and shift into first gear, and the bike starts moving at a good pace.

My question is how hard is it to change the old one out and put the new one in? The price doesn't look to bad either... Is this something a newcomer can do or should I leave it to the pro's ??

x.system
02-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Easy, if you can remove the cover you can more than likely change the clutches. Pull them out and remember what came out first and last and you will not have a problem. I usually pull the whole pack out and lay it in front of me in one piece and put the new ones in the same order.

KASEY
02-13-2004, 10:23 PM
i did a clutch change in my wifes 250r night before last. i managed to save the case gasket and it was done in 1.5 hrs easy with a new waterpump seal, if your in there change that seal so you don't have to go back in later,,,,,,

x.system
02-13-2004, 10:31 PM
:shock:

Water pump seal in a 81 250R? Good luck finding that one. Sorry CASEY, couldn't resist. :D

renotrikeguy
02-13-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the input,

Guess I will have to check the cable first in the morning. I just priced the clutch plates over on ServiceHonda and I just hope they arent discontinued.

Is there a such thing as a universal clutch cable ?

Trikeaholic
02-14-2004, 10:34 AM
the clutch plates are not cheap, mabey $35 bucks, it takes mabey 30 minutes or less to change an air coolers clutch. Its designed really well, the clutch cover uses an o-ring, so no gasket scraping, no sealant, no problem, Its gravy. just drain your trans oil first! You can get vesrah clutch plates from anywhere, I usually buy stuff like that from Dennis Kirk. also, they would have a clutch cable. Stay AWAY from OEM anything that is a consumable type regular maintenance part.

renotrikeguy
02-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks to all that replied to this post. I double checked a few things and it was just like John - jeswinehart thought. My 22 year old clutch cable had stretched over the many long years.

This is in my opinion the best site for information and advice on these 3 wheel wonders we all love to ride..