PDA

View Full Version : Class C RV

3 Wheel Drive
05-20-2018, 02:12 PM
I’m thinking about getting a mid 80s RV for dirt cheap. It has a Ford 460 V8, everything is supposed to work....that’s all I know about it for now.

Does anyone have any input/ feedback on this type of RV or the engine? Is there anything I should looking for when inspecting it? It should be fun for the kids & I can always get rid of it cheap if I don’t like it.

Do the transmissions go bad often, expensive to replace or repair? I think it’s an 85 Ford Tioga.

fabiodriven
05-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Bring tons of gas money, more than you're expecting.

That's a fairly dependable drive train assuming it has a C6 behind it. Check the transmission fluid level and always keep it full but unless it's really short miles do not change the fluid. You can shock the transmission if it's used to crappy old oil and blow it. Throw a replacement ignition module in the glove box. Listen for exhaust manifold leaks, that will be your biggest concern. Gaskets and manifolds can be replaced and it is a difficult and expensive job, but assuming the rig is still weather tight and in good shape it would be worth it. I'd highly recommend headers and true dual exhaust if the manifolds needed attention, but that's not a requirement by any means. It would benefit from dual exhaust with manifolds or headers, assuming it doesn't already have duals. Many from the 80's came with dual exhaust from the factory.

As far as the unit itself goes, water is your biggest enemy in any camper. Even small amounts of water should be of serious concern as these things essentially melt if water starts to get in. Second biggest concern is if the fridge works on both 110v as well as propane. If the fridge doesn't work it ruins the whole experience for me. I love stocking my fridge and freezer before a trip and being able to eat Ben and Jerry's anywhere the frig I please.

3 Wheel Drive
05-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input Fabio! I’m still waiting for the owner to meet me at the spot. I still don’t know how a refrigerator works with propane? :wondering:crazy: I’ll post pics if I end up getting it.

fabiodriven
05-20-2018, 03:27 PM
If it's a three speed that's a C6 transmission. If it's a four speed, or three speed with overdrive, it's likely an AOD.

El Camexican
05-20-2018, 04:06 PM
I’ve only owned one motorhome in my life and it was powered by a 440, but when I was shopping for mine a friend who has owned multiple motorhomes and has worked as a mechanic most of his life told me that the best score for a motorhome engine if you’re going with gasoline is the 460 followed by the 440 and finally the 454 which he said was a horrible choice due to the fact that they overheat pretty easily.

The term fuel economy and motorhome should never be used in the same sentence. It’s like asking someone how many horsepower their house has. Save the money on rebuilds and put it towards going somewhere in your motorhome, get the 460.

Word of warning, unless you live in a mild climate and have a free place to park indoors them suckers cost money just sitting in one place.

RoscoW
05-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Like Fabio said, Water leaks are the downfall to any trailer/ motorhome, check the panelling in all the corners, closets and overhead bunk for a soft feel or bubbles in the finish. get up on the roof and look at the condition of the membrane and self levelling caulking, if it looks good or touched up it may mean the owner looked after it. Motor homes typically sit most of their lives and then are asked to perform like new for a few weeks a year, items typically don't wear out, but fail from lack of use, brakes will rust up and eat the pads to nothing, stuck wheel cylinders etc..... if everything works and the price is right, I bet it will clean up real nice.

Ross..

3 Wheel Drive
05-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Well I had a look at it.... it’s old and dirty. The mileage is around 49k miles, not sure if it’s accurate. It has potential for being a beater camper, I’m not sure if I’ll take it. The lady selling it is not the owner nor does she have the keys.

Its parked in an area by the fisherman’s terminal in Seattle where a lot of fisherman live in their RVs. Apparently all the fisherman sell there temp homes this time of year before heading up to Alaska to make their fortune, LOL!

Her friend is supposed to bring the keys by later, so after we eat lunch I’ll see if it starts up. The lady told me she has another friend that’s looking to sell another RV.

I don’t expect the a/c or refer to work, at best it’s a cheap RV that does not leak.

fabiodriven
05-20-2018, 05:25 PM
I'll tell you one thing, I have one of those old Onan generators and it is a fantastic little unit. Replacement parts for them are silly expensive and they use a ton of gasoline, but mine runs like a Swiss watch. I powered my house with it for two days over the winter and my power was up before any of the neighbors. It fired right up in the dead of winter like nothing.

3 Wheel Drive
05-20-2018, 05:32 PM
The white stuff on the engine is from a fire extinguisher, I guess the owner tried to prime the carb and it caught on fire. It does not look burned up....

I can prolly take this home for 500.00.

I’ll try to get a video of it running if it does not go up in flames. Would you guys take on a project like this?

With a little work this can be fun to take the boys camping. Do you guys see campers for sale in your areas like this for under 1k? I went in to rent a similar size RV, it will cost around 1200 for 5 days. I figure if I use it for the summer I can sell it back to the fishermen for the same price.:lol:

plastikosmd
05-20-2018, 06:23 PM
No leaks and runs and drives, title and no registration issues sounds good for 500

fabiodriven
05-20-2018, 06:40 PM
Also keep in mind there is no scrap value on RV's, you have to pay to dispose of them. If the current owner isn't able to sell before whatever deadline he has to get it out of there, then he'll likely be looking to give it away as opposed to paying a scrap yard to get it.

3 Wheel Drive
05-20-2018, 07:01 PM
I went back to see if they got the keys. I don’t think those homeless people are really trying to sell it. I get the feeling that there trying to figure out how scam someone out of some cash one way or another. There’s different story’s on why they can’t get ahold of the owner and the keys. I saw a pkg of needles in one of the cabinets, someone was sleeping on the passenger seat when I first got there....

It really looks like skid row in that part of Seattle, 14th Ave & 51st Ave. There’s around 15 similar RVs parked in the area and just as many pick up trucks that are piled high with homeless junk. The tabs were long expired, that RV is finna get impounded. I’ll just stick to my trusty tent for the next trip with the boys. :cool:

25248825248925249025249125249225249325249425249525 2496252497

fabiodriven
05-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Yup let that one go, lol!

3 Wheel Drive
05-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Those guys called me and said they found the key, so I went back to see if it starts up. And it did not! Here’s a video of them trying to start it.

I showed it to Barnett, he thinks it just needs a fuel filter and timing adjusted. Well here it is:

https://youtu.be/kuRSEAUc0Wg

I kinda want to get it and make it run, lol

El Camexican
05-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Are they going to throw the needles for free?

HairyJR
05-21-2018, 12:52 PM
I have the same Fleetwood model motorhome, different floor plan 5 years older than the one your looking at, it's 440 Dodge. These models arn't known for gas mileage, 5 mpg going down hill. Always needs some type of minor maintenance/repairs. A couple things that stand out to me are first the wheels and tires, look like two type of wheels, if they are 16.5 inch diameter there harder to find and not the best for holding air. Next item that concerns me is the black and gray water tank conditions. Don't know if your state does smog checks for tags and registration, we here in the state of "Captain Moonbeem" with the train to now where, need smog checks on all vehicles dating back too '76, cost more to have done. Mine does what i need for, tow my toys to the desert, keep me out of the wind/sand storms, rain and most important keep the beer cold. Can't beat the price.....

"HJ" 252508 :beer

jb2wheels
05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
I went back to see if they got the keys. I don’t think those homeless people are really trying to sell it. I get the feeling that there trying to figure out how scam someone out of some cash one way or another. There’s different story’s on why they can’t get ahold of the owner and the keys. I saw a pkg of needles in one of the cabinets, someone was sleeping on the passenger seat when I first got there....

It really looks like skid row in that part of Seattle, 14th Ave & 51st Ave. There’s around 15 similar RVs parked in the area and just as many pick up trucks that are piled high with homeless junk. The tabs were long expired, that RV is finna get impounded. I’ll just stick to my trusty tent for the next trip with the boys. :cool:

This comment screams, "Walk away" to me. Go with your gut.

knappyfeet
05-21-2018, 03:51 PM
and aside from everything else papa georgio.......

If it's been in the homeless/drug addicted/mentally unstable crowd I would really be concerned with diseases like Hep-C, Hand-foot-mouth, scavies...and everything else that is easily communicable within that crowd

El Camexican
05-21-2018, 08:03 PM
I showed it to Barnett, he thinks it just needs a fuel filter and timing adjusted.

Did he happen to mention anything about it needing a single spot lamp mounted just to the left of center on top of the hood?

If it's been in the homeless/drug addicted/mentally unstable crowd I would really be concerned with diseases like Hep-C, Hand-foot-mouth, scavies...and everything else that is easily communicable within that crowd

I’ve been aware of the dangers of “van aerial” disease after hearing about a guy that got impaled on one while riding his bike, but did not know that you could get them from a motor home as well.

3 Wheel Drive
05-23-2018, 10:23 AM
and aside from everything else papa georgio.......

I just pictured myself with a warm bucket of soapy water n a sponge washing this dumpster out..... :( After reading Knappy comments I’ll think every used RV is like climbing into a homeless mans hand me down sleeping bag.

The homeless pit crew called me at 11:30 last night all excited they got it running. I’m gonna pass on it.

OTAlucard
05-23-2018, 04:10 PM
I Pull out of any shady deal 10/10 .

El Camexican
05-24-2018, 08:52 AM
After reading Knappy comments I’ll think every used RV is like climbing into a homeless mans hand me down sleeping bag.

Yeah, I think it’s safe to say Knappy would have a tough time making it as a used RV salesman.

Jkoht
05-24-2018, 06:58 PM
That's a negative ghost rider the pattern is full. You'd be better off with a towable camper, whether pop-up, hard side, expandable, or fifth wheel all depends on if you have a tow vehicle. Even still if you didn't have a truck or whatever, they make small pop-ups that can be towed by motorcycles or small cars. We used a 90's Taurus to tow a dutchman popup back in 2000, all we did extra was add a transmission radiator to the car.