PDA

View Full Version : Newbie over here, i need some help please

Turqui
05-28-2018, 09:57 AM
Im sorry im posting here but im not allowed to post in other threads since i just joined this site.
Well i just got a honda atc 70, it took me to my childhood.
I have a couple questions, they might sound amateur questions but the fact is i dont have much mechanical knowledge.
1- anybody knows where the pull start can be sent for repair or restore?
2-i got a honda atc 70 last week, since the pull start is broken and i wanted to make sure the engine wasn’t frozen or stuck, i put the gear in third, the highest, removed the spark plug and pushed the bike 4 or 5 times for a 10-15 feed distance to make sure the piston moved.
Well here is the question: the bike have been sitting for a few years untouched so most likely, or i guess there is no lubrication in the cylinder and piston, so the test I performed trying to find out if the piston moved can leave scratched the cylinder or any other harm due lack of lubricant? I checked the oil level before and its on the minimum, i added a picture.
Thanks in advance.

DAM shop
05-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Welcome,
Well obviously there is oil in it. I would drain it and refill it.you can turn the starter cage to see if the motor is free. As far as your recoil, you could do it yourself or maybe a lawnmower shop or a local bike shop. Where are you located?

Turqui
05-28-2018, 10:25 AM
Thank you sir for your answer, i made sure to tested and check for the engine not being stuck, now my question: since i put the gear in third, the highest gear, and i removed the spark plug and pushed the bike 4 or 5 times for a 10-15 feet distance to make sure the piston moved and the bike have been sitting for a few years untouched, most likely, or i guess there is no lubrication in the cylinder and piston, so the test I performed trying to find out if the piston moved can leave scratched the cylinder or any other harm due lack of lubricant? I checked the oil level before and its on the minimum, i added a picture.
Thanks in advance.

DAM shop
05-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Hard to say if you did or not, but I wouldn't do it again. Get some oil in it and get it running, if it smokes you will need a top end rebuild.

Turqui
05-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Thanks, if i ever need to perform the top end rebuild, where can i get the kit from? Any specific place? Thanks.

DAM shop
05-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Plenty of parts for 70's on the internet .

Turqui
05-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Im going to perform oil change, ill be going to the honda dealer tomorrow, whats the oil i should ask for? Thanks.