PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx cam chain tensioner

Goon rider
06-15-2018, 11:45 AM
I am looking to realign my timing on my 225dx as it seems to be a tooth out. I am woundering what the proper way is to remove the cam chain tensioner. Thanks

350for350
06-15-2018, 08:26 PM
I just unscrew the bolts slowly. A little bit on the top, then a little bit on the bottom. Keep going until it's free. I also at least loosen the 10mm screw on cap on the end of the tensioner while it's still bolted on tight. You'll need this off to reinstall the tensioner and it will be a lot harder to loosen it while the whole thing's in your hand. When I do the install, I tighten the bolts up the same way- a little on one then a little on the other. The reason you need to have the end cap removed to reinstall the tensioner is that it's an automatic tensioner and you'll need to back off the plunger. I just use a SMALL flat tipped screwdriver. Insert it in the end of the tensioner where the cap has been removed and turn the screw while it's in your hand to see how it works. Then I'll release the tension on the plunger while I screw the bolts back in. It sounds complicated, but it's really not.

mostlyxs
07-24-2018, 05:43 PM
I must ask: what made you suspect it was a tooth out of time? I have an old, abandoned YTM225 that Im trying to resurrect, that, after starting nicely, holding it about 2000 rpm as it warms slightly, but as I try to get it to smooth out down around 1200 idle, it intermittently spits & sputters and seems to knock internally, eventually dying if you don't tweak the throttle. I can't keep it running long enough to dial in the air control on the carb! I've redone the top end, and tinkered with the carb till its about worn out!
Whatever might you suggest! (my tensioner is the early manual adjusted one)
John in Texas