PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a 83 200 recoil?

tri guy
06-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Greetings again. Just bought a "project " trike....1983 Honda 200. I think Im leaning why it was ($150) so cheap!! The recoil/compression release "stuff " isn't even in it! Looking at what I did find on line, WOW! Not cheap!! What do I do as I want to keep this machine project reasonable ??!!Any suggestions where to start looking?

tri guy
06-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Greetings again. I Just bought a "project " trike....1983 Honda 200. I think Im learning why it was ($150) so cheap!! The recoil/compression release "stuff " isn't even in it! Looking at what I did find on line, WOW! Not cheap!! What do I do as I want to keep this machine project reasonable ??!!Any suggestions where to start looking?

Also more importantly do I HAVE to have it hooked up or can I go without it? I tried pull starting it with out the compression release but was quickly reminded how SMALL those recoil handles are! OUCH! I have seen some Hondas with the much larger D handles wondering if that was why. Thanks again

atc300r
06-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Yes D handle much better.

tri guy
06-23-2018, 07:50 AM
So then you're saying I will be able to easily pull this thing over WITH OUT the compression release component? That would really be GREAT as that would save me a bunch of $$!!

My little "project is slowly turning into a money PIT !!

atc300r
06-23-2018, 10:04 AM
My wife starts the auto X without the decompression release.It will still kick back but less likely to rip the handle out of your hand.

shortline10
06-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Finding and successfully installing the compression release parts is a major PITA .
Just pull the recoil until your just past the compression stroke and THEN give it a strong pull .
With this method your less likely to hurt yourself and the recoil :)

tri guy
06-24-2018, 09:14 AM
Gotcha! Sounds like a plan ! Plus thatll save me some much needed $$ for other STUFF it needs.THANK YOU for the advice !! So now then Im guessing a snowmobile recoil handle would work?

This machines pretty rough shape as the previous owner worked on it, left it for dead , then left it outside for YEARS! So now its my personal GOAL to get this baby ROLLIN! Thanks again for your help

tri guy
06-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Thanks ~! Shortline 10 !! I tried it and it worked like a charm ! I was so distracted by the issues of weak spark and crappy recoil I just figured Id have to pull my guts out every time . BUT We are slowly getting things better here thanks to TWW!

350for350
06-24-2018, 09:47 PM
We will absolutely refuse to answer any more questions without pictures! Just kidding. We will answer, but we always like pictures too.