PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250r Swingarm Question

develonet
02-14-2004, 04:39 PM
I am trying to pull off the swingarm of a 84 250r 3-wheeler. I have the main nut and foot brake lever off but the center bolt running threw the arm and frame will not budge. Is this thing pressed in there at the factory or is there a trick to getting this thing out.
Thanks, for any help! :?:

mike from long island
02-14-2004, 04:46 PM
got a hammer???? i had the same problem you need heat too. i used a big punch so as not to damage the threads. if you screw the threads up i have a bolt for an 83-84 250r let me know thanks mike

develonet
02-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Where do you heat it at, the threaded end or the other side? Is this thing heat pressed in when built? Did it take a ton of force and work to get it out?
Thanks again

mike from long island
02-14-2004, 07:47 PM
heat where every you can and i dont think the swingarm bolt is heated then put in. they nomally grease it up then slide it in. i had to beat my swingarm bolt out with a 5 pound sledge good luck

Red Rider
02-14-2004, 11:24 PM
The swingarm pivot bolt is not pressed in. The problem is caused by corrosion, and it is a common occurrance. I personally wouldn't heat the swingarm with anything because you'll destroy the heat temper & weaken the swingarm. Do a search on "swingarm" on here, and you'll see a bunch of the same problems & what people did to fix them.

88 Turbo Coupe
02-15-2004, 07:59 AM
I had the same problem with my 85. The only way to get it out without damage is to use a air chisel tool with a flat end about the same diameter of the bolt. It will come out real easy. Loosen the nut to get started. Leave the nut on the thread so you don't damage the threads. I left the nut on just to break the bolt loose. Load your bike on a trailor. Pay a mechanic if you have to. Its worth the hassle if you don't have air and will save you from buying a new bolt.

KASEY
02-15-2004, 02:34 PM
THE sleeves that run inside the actual pivot bearings sieze on the swingarm bolt its pretty common on machines that have not ever been apart,,, which usually results in alot of damage getting them out,,,

twice a year i back the nut off 1/4" take a plactic hammer and beat the swingarm back and forth several times , it helps to keep it from becoming a permenent fixture and saves hours of cussing when it is time to take apart,,,,,,