PDA

View Full Version : Respect

tri guy
07-01-2018, 11:38 PM
So in my travels and my recent purchases as of late , I have to say Ive met some of the most amazing men as I was buying their old three wheelers…..thinking back on it now it was kind of an emotional thing ….shaking hands with the 32 or 33 year original owner(s) as they helped load it on to the back of my truck...whether it was the 70 year old farmer or a 72 year old Vietnam vet, I listened to every single word they said...it was allot like buying a deer rifle from an old timer whos finally gave up hunting....I listened ….even if it took 2 1/2 hours to hear all he had to say I listened to every word....BUT today the joy was in my old school buddies face of 36 years when together both got to go on a tour on two of those old timers BIG REDS ...I gotta say it is and always will be one of the best days of my life ...and lll never forget it

Rhino-1
07-02-2018, 03:41 AM
So in my travels and my recent purchases as of late , I have to say Ive met some of the most amazing men as I was buying their old three wheelers…..thinking back on it now it was kind of an emotional thing ….shaking hands with the 32 or 33 year original owner(s) as they helped load it on to the back of my truck...whether it was the 70 year old farmer or a 72 year old Vietnam vet, I listened to every single word they said...it was allot like buying a deer rifle from an old timer whos finally gave up hunting....I listened ….even if it took 2 1/2 hours to hear all he had to say I listened to every word....BUT today the joy was in my old school buddies face of 36 years when together both got to go on a tour on two of those old timers BIG REDS ...I gotta say it is and always will be one of the best days of my life ...and lll never forget it

Good stuff. There is definitely an alluring nostalgia associated with riding our 3-wheelers. Though I am in my 40's now, I never got to ride them as a young man--but I remember the hoopla over them in the late 70's/early 80's. Now I get to roost one!

Custer32
07-17-2018, 04:41 PM
I have yet to buy from an original owner but I did get a pair of 350x's off of a guy whos dad had only ever ridden and build 350's. The son didn't seem too upset to see them go but his dad barely said a thing. You could just tell he had an attachment to those bikes and it upset him to see them go. On the bright side his dad loved old vw beetles and buggies and I knew he would enjoy the 73 baja bug I traded his son for the bikes.

Gabriel
07-17-2018, 05:05 PM
BUT today the joy was in my old school buddies face of 36 years when together both got to go on a tour on two of those old timers BIG REDS ...I gotta say it is and always will be one of the best days of my life ...and lll never forget it

You just NAILED the whole reason I recently got back into ATC's. My mother has changed my diaper on the seat of an old 70-sunthin' model ATC 90. We would visit my mom's family in Louisiana and my PawPaw would get a bunch of people together for a big ride. All weekend long, miles and miles of slow trail riding. Best memories of my life. Now about to turn 41. I want a little piece of that back and I aim to have it, if it shortdiks every cannibal in the Congo.
My wife is eager to learn to ride one and it will be a large slice of my retirement pie. We plan to travel and ride. ....well, that's the plan.

atc007
07-18-2018, 08:50 AM

Another one who gets it !! All my bikes have a story. Most good,some great,some bad. But I know them all. Good for you that they aren't just plastic and metal.