PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225dx airbox

berndttoast23
07-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up a yamaha 225dx for pretty cheap, and I had originally bought it to use as a parts trike. I looked it over when I brought it home and found that it was in better shape than I thought, and I could probably get it running. Anyway, it starts and idles great, but it cuts out when I try to go through the gears. I then decided to disconnect the airbox from the carburetor, and after I did that it runs like a champ. SO the next thing I tried was a new aircleaner inside the box. I put everything back together and it would still cut out going through the gears.
My question for you guys is, what if I just find a filter that fits on the back of the carburetor and run it without the airbox? Would that hurt anything?

patblkwell
07-02-2018, 10:48 AM
The plastic box for the air filter is designed to keep water from getting sucked in your air filter...into your carb and engine. I'm willing to bet your carburetor is out of adjustment or needs a good cleaning because it should run right with the air filter box installed. Guys a lot smarter than you and me designed and engineered it that way for a reason haha.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

mostlyxs
07-09-2018, 01:13 PM
If the trike was parked outside for very long, the intake may be clogged. I'd check for a clogged intake/upper frame tube from the steerer to the airbox inlet. Mud-dobbers and wasps are quick to fill them around here.
Good Luck,
John in Texas