PDA

View Full Version : Travis Pastrana jump in Vegas.

Rob Canadian
07-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Anyone watch it? Thoughts?

I thought it was ok. He made it look easy using the flat track style bike. I did find it funny how there was NO word of Robbie who has done jumps live... He had some issues with drinking and driving. Guess they wanted to not include him in this piece of History.

Looks like I am going to Nitro Circus at the end of September. Should be a good show. Also going to a flat track race in a couple weeks at a horse track. I went last year. Found it cool.

schlepp29
07-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Oh yeah! It was effortless looking for him though. Alot of hype but I still thought it was cool. I want a travis pastrana stunt cycle! haaaaaa! Hopefully we won't see the end of some other pro's wanting to get in on this. Seth enslow's record was just beat by pastrana with the bus jump. Seth is only 43, he still has one more jump in him.

the tecate kid
07-09-2018, 07:39 PM
I agree, just think about the advancements made in technology since the original Caesar's jump...… Not only with the machinery but with the ramps, etc. I guarantee back in the day they just threw together some plywood and 2x4's, gave Evel a 5th of Jack and told him to go for it! lol. The brutal honestly and straight forward interviews that Evel gave will never be matched, but you can't take Travis' skill away... Anyone that can keep his head in the air, and use his back brake to bring the front end down, then nail it at the end to bring the front end back up, while jumping over that many buses on a V-twin in 107 degree heat in white dress boots is OK in my book. No way in heck...…….

atc007
07-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Well said :)

Rob Canadian
07-09-2018, 09:15 PM
I agree, just think about the advancements made in technology since the original Caesar's jump...… Not only with the machinery but with the ramps, etc. I guarantee back in the day they just threw together some plywood and 2x4's, gave Evel a 5th of Jack and told him to go for it! lol. The brutal honestly and straight forward interviews that Evel gave will never be matched, but you can't take Travis' skill away... Anyone that can keep his head in the air, and use his back brake to bring the front end down, then nail it at the end to bring the front end back up, while jumping over that many buses on a V-twin in 107 degree heat in white dress boots is OK in my book. No way in heck...…….

100%. Evil would just 'SEND IT' He was a tuff SOB. I am oldish (47) but never saw the jumps as a child. I was out eating dirt and burning ants with a magnifying glass...

ironchop
07-09-2018, 09:51 PM
100%. Evil would just 'SEND IT' He was a tuff SOB. I am oldish (47) but never saw the jumps as a child. I was out eating dirt and burning ants with a magnifying glass...Agreed. Probably because I'm 1971 vintage myself.

I just remember how tough he was. He was always wrecking and getting smashed up so for me, that was the attraction just as much as the stunt itself, maybe moreso.

I just wasn't enthused about Travis..... Because it's Travis... Of course he can recreate the jump. I doubt Evel trained anywhere near that hard nor did he have a compound full of bikes and ramps everywhere as a lifestyle. Whipping your Haro Master through a 540 on your backyard half pipe was insane in 1986. Now it's just cliche.

It really wasn't exciting seeing Pastrana doing what I already knew he could do.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

fieldy
07-09-2018, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't ' watch another. Complete miss. It's probably cool for kids though.
If some guy on a 500cc 250r jumped over anything ..... it would be exciting to me.

Rob Canadian
07-09-2018, 10:58 PM
Agreed. Probably because I'm 1971 vintage myself.

I just remember how tough he was. He was always wrecking and getting smashed up so for me, that was the attraction just as much as the stunt itself, maybe moreso.

I just wasn't enthused about Travis..... Because it's Travis... Of course he can recreate the jump. I doubt Evel trained anywhere near that hard nor did he have a compound full of bikes and ramps everywhere as a lifestyle. Whipping your Haro Master through a 540 on your backyard half pipe was insane in 1986. Now it's just cliche.

It really wasn't exciting seeing Pastrana doing what I already knew he could do.

The talent and what HAS and WHAT has done is off the hook in modern day. No namers are doing massive gaps in sand/ gravel etc. yes on MX bikes. It did have cool factor but was not a WOW factor. Ya I don't think Evil he had a trainer or personal trainer or a personal physician. LOL

86T3
07-10-2018, 12:41 AM
My personal view of Evel is that he was probably the worst stuntman in the history of the world. He never looked in control of the bike, even on straightaways. With that said, he has to be one of the toughest, bravest bastards to ever walk this earth. It was a nice tribute but the things they're doing night after night at the Nitro Circus have really desensitized us to how hard jumps really are.

roostin atc
07-10-2018, 01:21 AM
My personal view of Evel is that he was probably the worst stuntman in the history of the world. He never looked in control of the bike, even on straightaways. With that said, he has to be one of the toughest, bravest bastards to ever walk this earth. It was a nice tribute but the things they're doing night after night at the Nitro Circus have really desensitized us to how hard jumps really are.

Could you take Evil over the top? Not a chance Joseph. He opened the door to the circus. Im not impressed on your take of the legend of stunts.

knappyfeet
07-10-2018, 01:59 AM
Evel was the real deal........

Travis is played out......like watching Mayweather win another bout.

Imagine the equipment Evel had to use? Has anyone ever road an old ironhead off a curb at 30mph? Or jumping a curb on a 60s Bonneville? He was jumping cars and buses and fountains on Bonnevilles and Ironheads and XR750s.....Nortons!! Now if Travis jumps something using a sporty or a Honda FB6 Goldwing......that would be intersting.

atc300r
07-10-2018, 06:41 AM
Its was ok.I watched Evil back when he did these stunts it was real.Big difference is Travis new he would be successful Evil didnt know if he would make it or not but still tryed. Using the brakes and throttle to control a abike,trike or quad is common among racers.I would be more impressed if Travis made the jumps on exact same replica bike and ramps.His landing ramps absorbed alot of the impact.Just my 2 cents.

ironchop
07-10-2018, 09:38 AM
... Has anyone ever road an old ironhead off a curb at 30mph? Or jumping a curb on a 60s Bonneville?.....

Yes. Both of those things. Of course they eventually became Hardtails which makes things even worse than before. Staying on the seat rather than sailing over the handlebars is a chore as they are more like riding a bucking bronc than a bike

My user name is ironchop, as in ironhead chopper (it's long gone now) after that I got into Brit bikes, a 70 or 71 unit Bonnie and a BSA A50

knappyfeet
07-10-2018, 10:38 AM
My user name is ironchop, as in ironhead chopper (it's long gone now) after that I got into Brit bikes, a 70 or 71 unit Bonnie and a BSA A50

Since all you guys are young pups I can remember vividly his jumps and especially his jump across the grand canyon. It was watched like the moon landing....... or an Ali event. All the television channels were covering it. Every house you went into had some form of event related discussion on a TV channel. It was counted down and when the parachute deployed the cameras were on it like a return Apollo mission vehicle landing.

Not to take away from Travis........ he is one of the greats.....but I doubt he would do it on my ironhead. It does have a disc brake upgrade for better stopping.

ironchop
07-10-2018, 10:43 AM
VERY nice bike Nappy

schlepp29
07-10-2018, 11:14 AM
You older guys are lucky to have seen some of these things

atc007
07-10-2018, 11:44 AM
In Travis' defense. Yes, we all knew unless there was a huge wind gust, all was most likely gonna be fine. It's TV, they will make drama over a gum wrapper. His shoulder sperated in mid flight last year at a Nitro event. He "managed" to "land" but broke ribs in the process. It scared him. Not much scares him. That did. He has been working at this jump for a year with the team. A good friend of his had a RZR jump go WAY wrong a couple months ago,and he has visited him at the hospital a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvWOLdhQ9Z8. This jump was one of theirs,and it went WAYY wrong. Flying through the air that far, has consequences and a lot can go very wrong from very little. I learned on the special that Evel actually did a LOT of stunts all around the world successfully! LOL, who knew. He admitted to doing jumps he knew he could not possibly make. He was a true stuntman alright. I don't worship him as Trav and Knoxville do, but he was one of a kind for sure.

Dirtcrasher
07-12-2018, 10:06 PM
You older guys are lucky to have seen some of these things

Hey you faulkers are in the damn YOGA PANTS GENERATION!! - YOU WIN!!!!

DAM shop
07-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Dam I was jumping bike racks, furniture, fences and anything else I could find on my Schwinn back in the day. Bending rims and forks thanks to Evel K. He was the man back in the day for sure.

schlepp29
07-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Lol! I'm not that young