PDA

View Full Version : 200es won’t start? help?

ivan-083
07-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Hey guys, my 200es was starting ok for a while but lately it won’t fire? I have cleaned the carb and put in a inline filter too. It has a good spark but won’t start? It tries to start but still won’t! It might start for a few seconds then die, but sometimes it will start and be ok for a while then won’t start again. When I sometimes put in a new plug it will start straight away, but the old plug isn’t wet? Any ideas please? Thanks Ivan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350for350
07-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Have you checked to see if it still has spark when it won't start? Have you checked valve clearances? Just a couple of suggestions. I'm not trying to tell you where you can and can't post, but you don't need to post in the new member's sections. You've been here for over four years and you've made WAAAY more than 10 posts so you could use the Trikesylvania section if you want to.

ivan-083
07-11-2018, 02:59 AM
Have you checked to see if it still has spark when it won't start? Have you checked valve clearances? Just a couple of suggestions. I'm not trying to tell you where you can and can't post, but you don't need to post in the new member's sections. You've been here for over four years and you've made WAAAY more than 10 posts so you could use the Trikesylvania section if you want to.

Yes it still has spark when it won’t start! I put in the OEM carb on a few weeks ago as I had one of those trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro chinese carbs in for a few years and had trouble with it. So I put on the OEM carb few weeks back and fired up straight away but last few weeks not to good, now it won’t even fire? Should I try and clean carb again and put rebuild kit in? I’ll ha e to check valve clearance. I didn’t know about the section I’ll post in trikesylvania from now on thanks. Ivan

fieldy
07-11-2018, 06:55 AM
Did you put an inline fuel filter on it? There could be rust getting in the carburetor from somewhere. Water in the fuel can be an issue also. In a plastic container humid weather can ruin ethanol gas in a hurry. Drain the fuel bowl when it has been giving you fits maybe rig up a temp fuel supply after draining bowl.

ivan-083
07-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Did you put an inline fuel filter on it? There could be rust getting in the carburetor from somewhere. Water in the fuel can be an issue also. In a plastic container humid weather can ruin ethanol gas in a hurry. Drain the fuel bowl when it has been giving you fits maybe rig up a temp fuel supply after draining bowl.

Yes Fieldy, I did put on a inline fuel filter after a day or two! But it did run ok with the fuel filter for a day or two! I might need to take off the carb tomorrow and clean the carb again and see! I’ll change the fuel too. Yes I did drain the fuel bowl also but that didn’t help. Could be the smallest piece of rust in the jet. I’ll let you know tomorrow thanks

Rob Canadian
07-11-2018, 06:30 PM
I would check fuel flow to the carb first myself. Pop the line off the carb. Turn the fuel on and watch the flow. Easy test. This will eliminate the fuel cap vent, petcock and lines. If you have good flow and suspect a fuel problem. Next step is to get into the carb.

ivan-083
07-11-2018, 08:32 PM
I would check fuel flow to the carb first myself. Pop the line off the carb. Turn the fuel on and watch the flow. Easy test. This will eliminate the fuel cap vent, petcock and lines. If you have good flow and suspect a fuel problem. Next step is to get into the carb.

Thanks Rob I’ll try that today and let you know

x-rider
07-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Having the same issue with mine. Fuel not getting to the engine. I’ve had it fire and run for a little bit a couple of times. Plenty of compression (blows my finger off the spark plug hole). Cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and air. Spark plug is dry. ????? I don’t know????

ivan-083
07-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Having the same issue with mine. Fuel not getting to the engine. I’ve had it fire and run for a little bit a couple of times. Plenty of compression (blows my finger off the spark plug hole). Cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and air. Spark plug is dry. ????? I don’t know????

Hopefully we can get them running! I’ll let you know how I go with mine! Always something wrong.

Rob Canadian
07-11-2018, 09:50 PM
A guy posted not that long ago that said he put the float in backwards... No fuel flow into the carb...

ivan-083
07-12-2018, 02:30 AM

I cleaned the carb out again and new fuel with a 2 week old start plug if that and it wouldn’t fire up even with starting fluid! Put in a new plug and it starts straight away! Why is it eating plugs? Plug wasn’t at at all???? Any ideas

ivan-083
07-12-2018, 03:06 AM
I cleaned the carb out again and new fuel with a 2 week old start plug if that and it wouldn’t fire up even with starting fluid! Put in a new plug and it starts straight away! Why is it eating plugs? Plug wasn’t at at all???? Any ideas

Then it starts and runs for about 30 seconds then dies? The idle screw is almost all the way in and I back it off to good idle then after that it stops again! It keeps starting with the new plug but won’t idle for long?

x-rider
07-12-2018, 06:39 PM
A guy posted not that long ago that said he put the float in backwards... No fuel flow into the carb...

I guess I could have done that!! Doh!!! I’ll double check. Thanks for the info, I would never guessed I could have put it in backwards.

ivan-083
07-13-2018, 05:57 AM
I guess I could have done that!! Doh!!! I’ll double check. Thanks for the info, I would never guessed I could have put it in backwards.

Any difference?

x-rider
07-13-2018, 02:15 PM
I had it installed correctly. I did a gravity check with the tank as with the float installed the wrong way, no fuel flow to the bowl. Correct way fuel flows into the bowl. I also tried starting with the filter off. At full choke the butterfly flutters for some reason, almost like blowback from compression. At half choke and off choke it does not flutter. ????

ivan-083
07-14-2018, 02:37 AM
I had it installed correctly. I did a gravity check with the tank as with the float installed the wrong way, no fuel flow to the bowl. Correct way fuel flows into the bowl. I also tried starting with the filter off. At full choke the butterfly flutters for some reason, almost like blowback from compression. At half choke and off choke it does not flutter. ????

Mine is the same don’t know what to do with it! It’s just sitting in the corner now.

fieldy
07-14-2018, 06:18 AM
When you cleaned the carb again did you blow air through the pinhole passages and spray cleaner through those? You may need to disassemble and boil carb out. If your compression is good, i really believe its fuel related.

Can you tell us if the spark is blue or orange? Are there any times you don't see spark if you hold spark plug against cylinder head? Ground should not be rusty.You might also bypass handlebar kill switch. May need to take a look and ohm coil to spark plug. Wire end may be bad at plug.

ivan-083
07-14-2018, 07:08 AM
When you cleaned the carb again did you blow air through the pinhole passages and spray cleaner through those? You may need to disassemble and boil carb out. If your compression is good, i really believe its fuel related.

Can you tell us if the spark is blue or orange? Are there any times you don't see spark if you hold spark plug against cylinder head? Ground should not be rusty.You might also bypass handlebar kill switch. May need to take a look and ohm coil to spark plug. Wire end may be bad at plug.

Hey Fieldy I did blow air through the pinholes and did put carb cleaner through it! I think it’s fuel related but don’t know what’s wrong? What about putting carb kit into it?
The spark is blue, the ground isn’t rusty as I have sanded it back.

fieldy
07-14-2018, 07:34 AM
If your float is good and the float valve starts and stops fuel flow you should be good. Float level may be to low. Only thing i can thing think of to check. Were you able to ride it much with the factory carb on it? Did the factory carb previously preform correctly? I guess thats what I'm asking.
Seems like you are pretty up on wrenchin, keep trying thats bout all i can say now.

ivan-083
07-14-2018, 07:40 AM
If your float is good and the float valve starts and stops fuel flow you should be good. Float level may be to low. Only thing i can thing think of to check. Were you able to ride it much with the factory carb on it? Did the factory carb previously preform correctly? I guess thats what I'm asking.
Seems like you are pretty up on wrenchin, keep trying thats bout all i can say now.

Maybe it’s the float level I don’t know? I only ride it a handlful of times with the original carb that was a few years ago! Then it started having problems like I said with the chinese carb so put the original carb back on and after a few days it was going the same as the previous chinese carb. I might take the carb off again tomorrow and clean again and cut the coil a bit shorter! If restored the whole bike and so frustrating!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180714/428c3b64bf3e476b3f433ba10a876ea9.png

fieldy
07-14-2018, 08:42 AM
I would boil the carb body in lemon juice if you are taking it off again. May work, may not. Heard of success with that. I think its just like 50/50 with water, boil for a few.

x-rider
07-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Hey Fieldy I did blow air through the pinholes and did put carb cleaner through it! I think it’s fuel related but don’t know what’s wrong? What about putting carb kit into it?
The spark is blue, the ground isn’t rusty as I have sanded it back.

Same done here. Thought I read something about a pinesol solution as well?http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/138100-Boiling-a-Carburetor

fieldy
07-15-2018, 12:08 AM
Same done here. Thought I read something about a pinesol solution as well?http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/138100-Boiling-a-Carburetor

You can buy a carburetor cleaning solution also. Sold at auto parts stores, maybe Walmart. Berryman i believe. Sure wish you all luck. I give up, lol. That Ivan 083 posted a nice Big Red pic! Good luck guys.

ivan-083
07-15-2018, 12:14 AM
You can buy a carburetor cleaning solution also. Sold at auto parts stores, maybe Walmart. Berryman i believe. Sure wish you all luck. I give up, lol. That Ivan 083 posted a nice Big Red pic! Good luck guys.

Thanks Fieldy iam sure I’ll get it sorted out! I’ll keep you informed and thanks for the advice appreciate it!

x-rider
07-15-2018, 12:16 AM

Cool thanks fieldy . Ivan what carb are you using? I have the pz30 (keihin) clone carb.

ivan-083
07-15-2018, 12:18 AM
Cool thanks fieldy . Ivan what carb are you using? I have the pz30 (keihin) clone carb.

I have the OEM carb on it at the moment and had a chinese clone carb on it before. But both are having the same problem

x-rider
07-15-2018, 12:21 AM
Good luck. We’ll get er figured out. Keep you posted!!

ivan-083
07-15-2018, 12:23 AM
Good luck. We’ll get er figured out. Keep you posted!!

Iam sure we will keep in touch

fieldy
07-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Post #2 is talking about the valves. That reminded me of our first new 185s. We rode that thing.. we rode the paint off that thing and one day it wouldnt start. Took to dealer ship said it all needed rebuilt. Maybe valves or an intake leak. Reading where Ivan said both carbs and same result made some sense about valves. Check compression guys. Someone else would have to talk to you about them and how to disassemle and check those. Im out.

ivan-083
07-15-2018, 12:58 AM
Post #2 is talking about the valves. That reminded me of our first new 185s. We rode that thing.. we rode the paint off that thing and one day it wouldnt start. Took to dealer ship said it all needed rebuilt. Maybe valves or an intake leak. Reading where Ivan said both carbs and same result made some sense about valves. Check compression guys. Someone else would have to talk to you about them and how to disassemle and check those. Im out.

Thanks Fieldy, I might go to the property and see if it’s got an intake leak and spray some starting fluid around and see!

ivan-083
07-15-2018, 02:17 AM

Hey Fieldy
It started after about 5 mins of trying and back fired once! Then it fired up and it ran for about 3 mins then turned off? I’ll try and start again and see how it goes?

ivan-083
07-15-2018, 02:56 AM
Hey Fieldy
It started after about 5 mins of trying and back fired once! Then it fired up and it ran for about 3 mins then turned off? I’ll try and start again and see how it goes?

It seemed to run and start fine today? Maybe the gas cap vent blocked? I don’t know maybe it will do the same next weekend?

mendoAu
07-16-2018, 01:51 AM
That is one shiny es... so I doubt that it's "exhaust" related. But a plugged up muffler/spark arrester will cause that kind of problem. ES's also need a good battery.

ivan-083
07-16-2018, 01:53 AM
That is one shiny es... so I doubt that it's "exhaust" related. But a plugged up muffler/spark arrester will cause that kind of problem. ES's also need a good battery.

The battery is brand new and as I said from previous post it started yesterday was hard to start at first. But after that it started every time for like 5 to 6 starts! I’ll have to see on the weekend of it starts or has the same problems

x-rider
07-18-2018, 09:45 PM
I’m going to do the lemon boil. If that doesn’t work I will move on to valves???

ivan-083
07-19-2018, 03:32 AM
I’m going to do the lemon boil. If that doesn’t work I will move on to valves???

Let me know how you go? I’ll start mine on the weekend and see if it starts again

ivan-083
08-11-2018, 05:13 AM
I would boil the carb body in lemon juice if you are taking it off again. May work, may not. Heard of success with that. I think its just like 50/50 with water, boil for a few.

Hey Fieldy
I have left the 200es for about 3 weeks and it started today straight away and was fine?????????? What do you think? I have no idea? Any ideas? Thanks Ivan

fieldy
08-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Hey Fieldy
I have left the 200es for about 3 weeks and it started today straight away and was fine?????????? What do you think? I have no idea? Any ideas? Thanks Ivan

Now sounding more electrical . Just have to try and rule things out. There is a manual available here if you look for it.

ivan-083
08-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Now sounding more electrical . Just have to try and rule things out. There is a manual available here if you look for it.

That’s what I think it is something electrical, I do have a manual I’ll have to look and see what I can find out!

wellys88
01-19-2019, 02:26 PM
check the inhibitor relay

ivan-083
01-20-2019, 11:47 PM
check the inhibitor relay

For some reason over the past few months it starts and runs fine now, Iam totally confused! Starts first pull, had so much trouble with it before and didn’t do anything to it! Maybe a small electrical problem somewhere.