PDA

View Full Version : New truck suggestions

dustrunner
07-14-2018, 11:12 PM
Time for a new Truck, I have allways been a chevy / gmc guy but just curious what others think ? I am driving an 06 2wd ...so I am behind the times on all the new technology... thinking 4x4 4door 5.3:wondering

x-rider
07-14-2018, 11:49 PM
Know quite a few new Dodge owners 55k-65k. One new Ford owner 75k-80k. All 4dr 4x4 diesels. Whatever floats your boat. All nice imo.

El Camexican
07-15-2018, 02:58 AM
After looking at the Dodge and Ford offerings again I bought my fifth long term Chevy in February. It’s a 2017 4X4 6.2 with the 8 speed. The prior one was a 2013 with a 5.3 and the 6 speed.

Major upgrade in terms of power and economy. The 5.3 got 14mpg at 80 mph and was nothing special in a drag race. The 6.2 gets as much as 21 mpg at 80 mph and burns rubber at my command.

They tried hard to catchup with Ford in the interior department after 2014. Lots of compartments. My complaint list on this one is pretty short...

- lots of drive train lash. Scary noises. I just tell keep telling myself it’s under warranty.
- rear seats seem smaller than the 2013 seats and that makes the capacity of the optional under seat tray smaller
- shape of the front end makes it hard to judge distance when parking, but the parking sensors solve that
- way too many electronic bells and whistles for this dinasaur
- the sound system no longer comes with the ability to store music, so you’re stuck with carrying around discs, or using your phone for tunes
- auto shutdown at 99 mph. It’s not violent, you can just sit at 99 and it runs smoothly, but what a shame as it’s hardly spinning above 2,000 rpm at that speed. I figure it would pull 150+ without the safety feature.

You might want to wait for the 2019’s to come out as they are fully redesigned.

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 09:29 AM
I’ve had this for about 2yrs, 2016 quadcab chevy 5.3 ecotech3 way to much electronic crap, just waiting for elec fails.
Its got the V4 mode which shuts down cylinders while driving, I will not buy another truck that does this!!! Around town I just keep it in manual 5th and it won’t go back and forth(slight hesitation when it does). On the highway it’s in V4 mode 80% of the time- but watching mileage I don’t see any difference- it’s just a thing for the tree huggers so they think there saving the environment.
It does pull a full 16 foot trailer good though, I forget its back there sometimes.
The rear shocks are rotting out already. (Northeast salt!!!!)
No other real rust yet though
Will say this truck is easiest for oil changes though(ten minutes) no skid plates to remove either.
If u buy a Chevy or gmc look at the spare tire these are 18’s but the spare is a 17 it’s very common for this lately, dealerships claim the spare is just for temp use so it’ll be fine- no thanks just check before you sign....
Oh don’t pay anything near sticker price, I walked out paying 32,000 it’s still alot but what can ya do. Really like that it has 4-wheel disc brakes/ no more rear drums to change out!!!!
253577 253578 253579

I gotta say it does ride nice, just wish it had a rear slide window but a wrongly placed 2x4 and insurance will give me a slider this fall:Bounce
And just a heads up the ac delco (cheaper for them to produce) oil filters now have a plastic filter cage that can warp/melt putting filter material throughout your engine- use like a Napa gold: or similiar, just look inside for a metal cage first.

I also bought the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty/ figure I’ll trade it in a 99,000

Shep

dustrunner
07-15-2018, 12:03 PM
El...I read on motor trend the 6.2 engine gets less mpg than the 5.3 .. Can you shut off the electrical crap not needed or used ? And how about for the v4 set up ?

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 01:03 PM
The V4 if I knew which wire to cut I’d have done it long ago. I’ve read you can get it reprogrammed i just havent looked into it warranty wise/ dealer says they can’t do anything but have had lots of complaints about it. If I buy a V8 that’s what it needs to stay. Its not bad just keep it in m5 instead of just drive but in m6 it allows V4 so on highway there’s no choice.
Couple pics to show drive vs m5 you can see the cylinder#. Its not real bad when switches over but u can hear/feel it.
253582 253583

I believe the next larger engine doesn’t have this setup but could be wrong
It has a pulling trailer button which makes the tranny shift at a higher rpm but doesn’t shut off V4
Shep

El Camexican
07-15-2018, 01:17 PM
I am very confused about the V4 feature. The only time it ever activated on either of my 5.3’s was when I was coasting. On the 6.2 I see it activate quite frequently and as Shep has mentioned there is a slight delay when getting back onto the throttle, but nothing that I would consider complaining about.

I believe the differential on my six speed 5.3 was a 3:42and it spun about 500 rpm higher than the 8 speed does at any given speed. The nice thing about the 8 speed is that in first you have a 4:56 ratio.

I don’t know how anybody is getting better mileage with their 5.3 than they are with a 6.2, maybe it’s got something to do with driving a lower speeds, but my 6.2 seems to get better mileage in the city as well. It also gets 2 mpg better than the smaller engine when I tow a trailer.

dustrunner
07-15-2018, 01:26 PM
253585 I see SHEP has 44 k miles on his...Have you had ANY problems with your truck ?

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Absolutly no problems at all (except a speeding ticket/drives at 90 really smoothly):rolleyes: The first few free oil changes the Dealer spilled oil down the fenders upon filling.. and left it for me to clean up, hasn’t been back since. Needs a 2” lift in front to level off the truck though. Its going to need 4 shocks I’ll do it then. Ya the V4 it’s not bad but will do my homework next time around, Don’t let it keep u from buying one. The third tailight leaked when brand new- apparently no gasket or sealant was used when put together/ all set now though. I like how the rear view mirror on this still has the manual like toggle for bright lights behind you. There not auto bright dimming that most have now/ hope that makes sense. Of course the onstar button is right there and have push it by accident more than a few times.
4-wheel drive/ truck is great in the snow
Pulling a trailer I did notice 9-12 mpg on a long uphill on the highway
Shep

Trucks been driven to Arizona and back, Florida twice, Indiana twice the mileage adds up quick

Dirtcrasher
07-15-2018, 03:15 PM
I gotta buy a damn truck too. This Tacoma is going to self destruct if I keep pulling my Toy Hauler.

I planned on buying a Tundra this year for roughly 20K and pay cash. I HATE car payments and haven't had one in 25 years.

But, my stubbornness has resulted in me not going anywhere this whole season, which stinks!!

Gotta grab something before next spring. But 30,40,50,70 grand??!! NO WAY!! :D

oldskool83
07-15-2018, 03:53 PM
My 04 dodge works just as good as a 15year newer truck. Mopar only for me.

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Yup your up for a new or newer truck steve, just gotta get off your wallet:D you could keep the ole truck for apt clean outs and such
We put more than 50% down so payments are pie. Just find a rich woman to buy u one;)
Wonder if u can get a tax rightoff on taxes if u wrapped it into the apartments somehow? Might be worth looking into.

Shep

El Camexican
07-15-2018, 04:13 PM
I’ve done 2” leveling on the front of both mine, same kit for 2007 thru 2018.

I’m told the 4 cylinder and 99 mph limit can be disabled with a chip, but it would void the warranty.

I don’t care about the 4 banger thing, but the 99 thing bothers me because if someone ever tries to rob me (or worse) on the highway I would like to be able to get away.

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 04:26 PM
I came close to the 99 driving out west, I suppose it makes it easier for cops to chase if needed but say if I do 130 and get caught it was “my” call to make not the govt. to tell me I can’t - must be mandated from govt for all new vehicles? I wonder, can’t amagine a govenor on new street bikes though/ well not yet anyway

Shep

dustrunner
07-15-2018, 04:42 PM
I plan on keeping it till it's scrap. what can I expect in to replace ? My 05 2wd eats front wheel bearings, had a u joint go bad @ 40 k, cd player quit @ 72k, heater quit @ 83k. But this 4x4 stuff scares me ..

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 05:12 PM
If I could find a nice chevy like the one Thornton has I never would have bought “new”——-crank windows/basic under the hood no emissions to pass/inspection ——-this trucks a beauty!!!! Bad pic but u get the idea 253621

Shep

oldskool83
07-15-2018, 05:35 PM
I drove a 2014 5.7 ram1500 last summer it was a tad snappier then my built 2004 ram1500 5.7. Very tech inside and im not so tech inspired. They wanted to give me 2k for this for a truck with rust on it while mines rust free. I'm big on 2nd 3rd 4th gen rams. Biggest thing buy what you need. Don't buy more then you need. That's why I don't own a Cummins yet. I hual 1000 lbs of atvs and get 14mpg. I have no use for a new truck other then to say it's new. Mine looks better any way old lol.

I like 2008+ gmc but I'll never buy one.

Dirtcrasher
07-15-2018, 06:08 PM
If I could find a nice chevy like the one Thornton has I never would have bought “new”——-crank windows/basic under the hood no emissions to pass/inspection ——-this trucks a beauty!!!! Bad pic but u get the idea 253621

Shep

He's the guy tht puts up the huge display at Trikefest, correct?? Apparently he helps kids and they restore the trikes he has, they are SUPER NICE!!

It's funny that you mention what you did, my dad went to buy a truck 10 years ago and they said "EFI, power this and power that" and my dad said, "how much are you taking off for all that chit that will break??!!" and the salesman didn't understand. So, dad says, "I have to fix all that crap!! I want a crank down window and a carburetor!! You need to deduct a couple thousand..."

I've seen super nice K20's fetch about 10 grand at auction many times. They're just so simple and reliable...

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Oh I tried —- I could of gotten a stripped down no power options truck “BUT” it would have been a special order up to 6-8 month wait and “salesman said would have cost me more” because it wouldn’t have gotten the price breaks that I had gotten.
One of these days I’ll take this truck with an empty car hauler out south/west and grab a rust free 80’s chevy and fill it with cheap 80’s “toys” to bring back to mass:naughty:

Shep

Not sure if he’s the same guy w/ nice display at tf // don’t think it is- could be though

ironchop
07-15-2018, 06:41 PM
I hate car payments and the price of a new pickup truck these days is ridiculous.

I like manual trans, carbureted, Big Block V8, vinyl floor so you can clean it easier.
No computers, minimal electronics, no fuel injection, manual trans, four vacuum hoses, a GM HEI one wire distributor adapted to a Ford 460 base for reliability, no oxygen sensors....... AC, and a good stereo is all I need.

old stuff is so easy to work on and less expensive to fix when they have trouble

That old blue Chevy up there is sweet. I'm not a brand loyalist. I just like any truck from that era

This one is getting a fresh 460 this fallhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180715/c58a224a298c5b18ad8c7e96e46c5ca9.jpg

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Shep1970
07-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Nice one ironchop- nice lines loved the old style windows, with the ones u could open and aim the air at yourself (triangular) window vents. Unsure what there called. My dad had a similiar one yrs ago- when it rained your feet would get wet (lots of rust holes “big ones”

Shep

dustrunner
07-15-2018, 09:43 PM
We always called them " side window vent's " ...man I loved them in a 76 chevy we had... I am with ya on all the b.s. electronics but the ole lady wants to ride in a nice new truck so I don't know...

El Camexican
07-15-2018, 10:56 PM
I can`t stand Dogg , Fart and Shitty ......5.7 Yoda bring on da hate

They seem to have fallen way behind on the full size truck line. Dead last in the reviews if I’m not mistaken.

El Camexican
07-16-2018, 12:20 AM
You`re mistaken .........who reads that suff anyway .........best quote from Car & Driver - "the Chevy has Fisher Price styling"

The Toyota was a great truck.... 11 years ago. Time to move on, sell your 250R and get a Rascal eh.

86T3
07-16-2018, 12:45 AM
Hey Ironchop, i have a FI 460 with a 2wd 5 speed behind it if that's something you fancy. It's in a Ford superduty, back when superduty actually meant something, not just a catch phrase. I have the whole truck, bought it years ago and still haven't picked it up.

El Camexican
07-16-2018, 01:11 AM
I plan on keeping it till it's scrap. what can I expect in to replace ? My 05 2wd eats front wheel bearings, had a u joint go bad @ 40 k, cd player quit @ 72k, heater quit @ 83k. But this 4x4 stuff scares me ..

Fear of what would need to be replaced one day is what made me trade for a new one with just under 60,000 miles.

Standard warrantee in 2013 down here was 2 years or 36,000 miles. I bought another year and 14,000 miles and when it ran out the drive train was getting a little loose, but nowhere near as bad as my Avalanche was at about the same point in its life. I just don’t have the time to mess with repairs at this point in my life. When the phone rings I have go, so a new truck it was.

This one came with a 3 year, 50,000 mile warrantee and they offered 2 more years or 70,000 miles for an additional $700 bucks, so I’ll probably keep it for at least 5 or 6 years, trade it in for half what I paid and get another.

Biggest fear if I kept it for longer would be the transmission going. Probably have to buy a refurbished GM unit for 3 or 4K. As far as the 4X4 goes I don’t use it much, but on my Avalanche I had to replace a front hub at 45,000 miles. Was able to do it myself for under $100 bucks. Depending on road conditions you can expect to do ball joints and shocks as early as 40,000 miles, but my 2013 was still tight when I let it go. The new one came from the factory wth Ranchos.

Do your own math, but I figure it’s cheaper to replace them while they’re still worth a good buck on the open market. If you wait more than 10 years they can’t be financed by the next owner and the value plummets. If I had the time to keep up with repairs I’d get a pre FI truck and just keep it going. My 1982 Chevy had over 500,000 km on it and was minty when it sold.

oldskool83
07-16-2018, 10:22 AM
A trans rebuild is like $2500 most trans shops. I had a rear dif upgraded and built cost $1000. My buddy spent $25000 he didn't have rather then $2500 to fix his trans. I love ppl who justify a new auto basied off a wear item that costs 10x cheaper to fix. Then never change trans fluid anyway lol.

Sounds like your scared to own a fulldixe 4x4 do go get a subaru.

ironchop
07-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Hey Ironchop, i have a FI 460 with a 2wd 5 speed behind it if that's something you fancy. It's in a Ford superduty, back when superduty actually meant something, not just a catch phrase. I have the whole truck, bought it years ago and still haven't picked it up.Yeah that was the last of the greats

Thanks but I already bought a second 460 out of an early 70s passenger car to have machined and pretty much everything else aftermarket. The block and crank are the only thing I'm keeping. I have a whole new edelbrock intake, ferea valves, edelbrock springs & hardware, lightly ported aluminum heads, new pistons & rods, cam, crane roller rockers, and a Quick Fuel Slayer 750. (Holley). I can fix most of the issues of these motors blindfolded in a thunderstorm with a small box of tools on the side of the road and that's the attraction.

I'm sure the FI gets better mpg than my carbureted. I think I averaged 9/12mpg town/hwy with 18 mpg hwy being my all time best on a road trip mostly downhill. My 79 is factory AC too so that robs a little as well

I'll keep you in mind though

JayBone
07-16-2018, 12:43 PM
I'd agree with glamy... I have a 2011 Tacoma so I'd go with another Toyota either a Tacoma or Tundra. 253624253625253626253627

keister
07-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Luckily, I speak Glamese. Please allow me to interpret.

Would you consider a Toyota Tundra? They are available with a powerful 5.7 litre engine and are built right here in the U.S. of A.

83ATC185
07-16-2018, 01:02 PM
My base 86 ford ranger with the 2.Slo and manual everything does what it was made to do with little trouble other than routine maintenance. Pump the gas twice, turn the key, it blows a puff of smoke out of the tailpipe, and away we go. If i could find another one in good shape i wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I've had it two years and 50,000 miles and haven't done anything to it besides belts and hoses and chunking the smog pump as far as i could throw it.

Reliable, simple, easy to repair, it gets 18ish miles per gallon, it ain't gonna be hauling much or towing or offroading but its perfect for what i need it for.

Mosh
07-16-2018, 01:30 PM
I have been professionally wrenching on cars and trucks for almost 30 years and own my own shop.
I can tell all of you with utmost certainty, there ain't a car or truck on the road past 2007 worth a crap compared to their earlier counterparts, unless you consider trading in before 100K.
And I know I am gonna get the Ford, Chevy, whatever.... loyalists calling BS at me, But I work on them all, all day, every day..

"They" have all built in planned failure for return sales, parts obsolescence, thinned out the bodies to get better fuel mileage, made more crap out of lighter plastic, less paint, 6 speed transmissions that are bombing at 120k,timing chains and guides blowing out at 120K due to variable valve timing stress...It is ALL utter 35k$ and up garbage..I feel bad for the driving public that pays these prices and has to deal with a 3700$ trans rebuild before the damn thing gets paid off. Like a mouse to cheese, the dealers found between the mid 90s to mid 2000s, they were building too good of cars, and sales were dropping, so now they put you in a over priced POS, send you into a new loan every 5 years and be upside down on a payment hook, the rest of your damn life. And that idiot, loppy eared, cash for clunking moron ex pres, was in on it back in 08 with his "bail out"....

As far as trucks, the best ones ever built are the 94-2005 Silverados and Suburbans. I have 2 Silverados that have 360K between them and 1- 99 Suburban with 250K, and only one has had a Transmission rebuilt, and all have OEM engines.... Chevy took a bullet proof 5.3 and Bruce Degenerated the damn things with the DOD 4 cylinder mode, that drops the valvetrain at 100K-...Contrary to popular thought and opinions, even Toyota and Honda are mere shells of reliability of their pre- new millennium counterparts..Just like that TV, fridge , Washer, dryer, etc....This new stuff is 5-7 year throw away junk, and it ain't gonna change until the public figures it out and quits buying it.
Would not be so bad if a new truck was 17K, but 45K and at 100k it needs a engine or trans..F that...

oldskool83
07-16-2018, 01:57 PM
I'll agree with mosh on this one cuz my buddy installs truck accessories....them newer fords feel like 2ply tp. V8s running on and off of cylinders...still makes me think how it's gonna last. I'm good with 16 spark plugs and 8 cylinders running at all times. Trucks turned into suvs with beds cuz we killed off real suvs....now they turned into bmws. A radio is all a truck needs of you got a v8...you wanna hear that a tires that slightly hum.

My buddy's 12 f250 is rotting out all over with 75k miles on it. It's all junk. And glued together.

Shep1970
07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
just one more 2016 chevy complaint- the radio randomly while driving or sometimes on start up will block out the radio until u hit the “ok” button. Reminding u not to take your eyes off the road but u need to in order to hit the button. Who’s idiotic idea was that......happened again just now at 45mph 253629. Ok complaint over:D

Shep

fabiodriven
07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
My 04 dodge works just as good as a 15year newer truck. Mopar only for me.

Now this makes complete sense to me. OldStool would definitely own a Dodge.

Modern Dodge vehicles are garbage. My spare truck is a 99 Dodge 1500, 5.2, 2wd, 5 speed, short bed. What a fantastic turd of engineering. It's impossible to go through a week without issues, and when I talk to other Dodge owners it's the same thing. Conversations with other Dodge owners consist of comparing problems and how on earth they were able to fix it, and it's a different answer every time. Many end up saying they were never able to fix it. Conversely I high-five other 7.3 owners. There are no cut-and-dry problems with Dodge. Your GM dies, change the fuel pump. Your 7.3 stops running, change the cam sensor. Dodge problems defy logic and reasoning. Wipers stop working, bad seat belt sensor. Fuel gauge doesn't work, low tire pressure in the spare. Obviously I'm making these examples up but the reality isn't far from that. Every time I hear a whining rear end coming up my road it is almost always a Dodge, and that happens quite often. Their interiors are chinsy and always have been. When you need replacement parts, get ready to go to the dealer and pay dearly for parts that you can buy aftermarket at fraction of the cost for other vehicles. I rode in a 2015ish Dodge 1500 two weeks ago, and the rear seat is a joke. So small and cramped. My friend has a Tundra and you could live in the rear seat area of that truck.

My 05 2wd eats front wheel bearings,

GM right? If you don't like replacing front hubs, don't buy a GM. As Nico said though, they are cheap and easy to replace.

I'd have a hard time choosing a half ton truck (but I wouldn't even consider Dodge), but Toyota would be very high on my list as well as the twin turbo F150. My aforementioned friend has a 2014 Tundra 1794 Edition or something like that? I've never seen a better interior, just wow. It is nicey nice, really nice. It's only four years old and has short mileage but what a great truck. Nico you're full of beans with your Tundra down talk, they're great trucks.

I'm not a GM guy but they have been making some great trucks lately. Mik6 has a recent 2500 with the 6.0, I don't know how many miles but it doesn't have that many. The exhaust manifold just started leaking and this truck is wayyy too young for that. Not a big deal but still. My neighbor has a 2012 1500 with the 5.3 and it has a lot of power and it's a good truck all around, super quiet ride driving it up the road.

Hey Ironchop, i have a FI 460 with a 2wd 5 speed behind it if that's something you fancy. It's in a Ford superduty, back when superduty actually meant something, not just a catch phrase.

So "meaning something" to you is terrible fuel mileage as well as low horsepower and torque.

What Mosh is saying makes a lot of sense to me. My 99 F350 Super Duty with the 7.3 diesel is an awesome truck, it never ceases to amaze me. It's as much of a part of my annual Trikefest experience as my trikes, more so actually. It hauls 18 hours to Indiana each way loaded very heavy, over 20,000 lbs truck and trailer. On my way home this year, I took Rt 66 to Rt 22 to Rt 99 in PA (or something like that), which was all long mountain pulls, and that truck with 280k on the clock eats up all highway like it's it's job, which it is. To quote Joe Swatland (86t3) when he watched me pull my 15,000 lb trailer out of the mud at Trikefest 2015 with my 2wd Super Duty; "That's some kind of super truck or something!" Yes Joe, yes it is, but your Dodge-owning opinion doesn't matter when the subject is trucks.

My truck also got double the fuel mileage of Mik6's GM 6.0, and his combined rig is probably 7,000 lbs lighter than mine. I'm getting off subject now, I think you're looking for a half ton.

If I were looking at new or near-new half tons, I'd look at the F150 Ecoboost first, then probably the Tundra. I'd have to do more research beyond that. I'd buy a Yugo before I bought a Dodge.

oldskool83
07-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Some ppl hate dodges. My sests are more comfortable then 06-08 dodges. Those got pretty hard like my buddy's f250. Most of us but somthing by the looks. I liked the truck when it came out in 02. So I bought one to build up 5-6 years ago. Been fine for me. Better then my 2nd gens in handeling better then my s10 blazer and truck too. I'm not one to get rid of works good.

Can't belive you still feel the need to hate me and over what.

79Bird
07-16-2018, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=fabiodriven;1481005]
Fuel gauge doesn't work, low tire pressure in the spare.

This reminded me of my first car, a VW beetle. The windshield washer used the air pressure from the spare tire haha. Nothing like cleaning your windows in bad weather knowing you were draining your spare.

And I daily drive a 1972 GMC Suburban 3/4T 4 Speed 4WD. Doesn't like much north of 65MPH with the 4.10's, but I don't spend much time on highway. When something fails, it's generally identifiable within a few minutes, and easy to repair. On the other hand, my 1994 turbo EFI mustang F's up and I spend a day tracing wires and checking sensors...253635

ironchop
07-16-2018, 05:01 PM
My brother's 2018 Rubicon shuts off at a stoplight and then restarts when you hit the gas pedal.

Dumbest. Thing. Ever.

I'll bet he needs a new starter in a couple years

knappyfeet
07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
....merica.......

Rob Canadian
07-16-2018, 07:56 PM
I have never seen a transmission come out of a Tundra. All companies have issues.

I guess I am bias. I am a Toyota guy. The 5.7 is a good strong engine.

90nut
07-16-2018, 08:54 PM
I hate new trucks, designed to fail. I recently got promoted and they told me I wasn't allowed to use my 86 f-350 cc as my work truck. So I buy a '12 super droopy. Great power, 6.2 gas piss poor mileage, big carbed fully de smogged 460 was getting 11 towing. The rear suspension is a flat out joke! 3 springs! 2 full and a little guy. My 94 150 with a straight six huals more and squats less. Manny Van's is what these new trucks are. 1/2 tons, dont think it matters much, other than that shut off BS at lights. Say hello to a new 500$ starter every few years. Stupid. Let the diesels smoke, let the gas guys motors breathe, let the two strokes run! Rant over. For now.

dustrunner
07-16-2018, 11:46 PM
Test drove a chevy today, seemed pretty nice,,,lil driveline noise and hesitation but not bad ( but it only has 18 miles on it ) did not notice the cylinders falling off at 70 but ? Grand total out the door 43 k off to try out a ford tomorrow...wow talk about sick...

dustrunner
07-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Stoped and looked at a Tundra today. Didn't stay long when I saw the 5.7 engine getting 14-17 mpg wow

El Camexican
07-17-2018, 12:02 AM
Like Mosh says, the new stuff isn’t made to last. I had my 1982 Chevy till 2003, my 1989 GM till 2007, my 1997 F150 till 2011 and my 2007 Avalanche till 2014 when it saved my life, but I sold my 2013 soon after the warranty ended and I’ll sell my 2017 before it does. Way to much invested into it to risk having to change a motor or transmission.

I got back 62% of what I paid for my 2013 after 4 years of use and all it cost me was some oil changes. I would not want to try and get 10 or 15 years out of one of these newer trucks as it would probably cost a lot of money and at the 10 year mark you would be lucky to get 10% of what you paid for it even if it was running good.

Plus it’s nice to have something that doesn’t have dents, or scratches and smells nice for a while.

El Camexican
07-17-2018, 12:04 AM
The truth hurts ..........but there`s gonna be a whole lot of truths and pain in this Country ! .........oh the reason a truck is $35k - $65 is because your money is turning into arse-wipe ......

Get some new rims, you’ll feel better.

Arky-X
07-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Good post going here. Lots of reaffirmations of what I've heard all my life on some brands and the view that all we have to choose from today is $50k disposable vehicles.

Not too loyal to any brand but last 3 have been Chevys and have had no major issues.

Current is a 2007 Chevy which has the 5.3 and 45k miles but that mileage will increase quickly since both the kids are now 16+ years so my daily driver is often taken. I put the Volant intake, Borla exhaust, vette servo, and had an "email tune" put in using a Diablo Intune. The tune is probably the best bang for the buck. It has a 91+ octane tune and the TCM shift points and pressure tuned as well. I'm not going to say it adds tons of HP/TQ but it definitely responds better. It goes when you want it to, no lag when you step on the loud pedal. The shift is not harsh but quick, no slipping. It doesn't really need all this crap that I put on it but I like tinkering.

Vehicles have gotten insanely expensive considering what we are getting. I see price tags of $45-50k for something equivalent to what I have now. Still a 5.3.....and they add a 6 speed for what? 2-3MPG more? Slap on a few buttons that I don't need. Hard to justify these costs.

99 Chevy with the 4.8 prior to that and put 140k miles on it. Only issues were the throttle body would stick closed so you had to tap the pedal hard to get it break free. I would spray cleaner in it an that would cure it for a few more miles. Window regulator also went out which was a pain to replace......probably because I had never done one before.

94 Chevy S-10 with the 4.3 V6 and a 5-speed manual.....put 180k hard miles on this one.......should have kept this one.....bullet proof.

90 Ford Ranger with a 4cyl and a 5-speed. Crap for gas mileage considering it was a 4cyl and ran like a turd but nothing wrong with it mechanically. Drove nice just don't get in a hurry.

And of course, my first true love that I used to haul my 350X around back in high school and college........1976 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT.
My aunt & uncle bought it new to pull a camping trailer then let it sit in a field for a few years after they sold their trailer. My dad bought it from them and after he upgraded to a F-250, I inherited it. I guess you could say I am owner 2.5. But it sits behind my Mom's house and needs some TLC. Maybe instead of spending $50k on a new one, I will restore that one instead. Ironchop has given me the bug with his post since this one has the 460 and C6 tranny behind it too. I never did have the balls to see where a 460 with 3.00 gears would top out. No 99mph shut offs on these trucks.

The family's business has a Duramax in a Chevy and has a 5.9L Cummins in a Dodge. I used the Dodge once to haul a Trans Am across the Smokey Mountains and it was like nothing behind me. My 2007 Chevy would have made it but I would have been twisting its ears off to get it up some of those hills. They had to have the rear end rebuilt on the Dodge (dually) once at around 100k miles which seemed premature to me especially since the damn thing is made for.......TOWING!!!!! I've heard that about the Cummins.......it's a great engine....too bad it's in a Dodge.

Dad once had the 7.3 PowerStroke as well. That was the first turbo diesel he had and he was sold from that point forward that diesels are to tow and gas burners are to drive. He quit trying to mess with large V8 gas burners to tow. I would like one since mine often has a boat behind it but it is hard to justify the cost.

Haven't tried a Toyota or Nissan but I remember just a few years ago everybody was raving over Toyota's V8 and the power it produced.....but at a cost of 15mpg. Hell, they all seem to get 350-ish HP now and are trying for that 20mpg but they keep getting more complicated and more things are destined to fail.

Dream truck would be a shoebox Chevy with a 350 and 700R4 overdrive. I might even take throttle body injection but that's as advanced as I would go.
Problem with this idea is around here is these late 70s-87 year models are bringing top dollar.

You only live once so if you see something you like and can afford.....get it!
Cheers and good luck!

Arky-X
07-17-2018, 12:34 AM
Get some new rims, you’ll feel better.

Are those Dick Cepek wheels?

El Camexican
07-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Are those Dick Cepek wheels?

Not sure, but I bet the owner blew a wad on the rubber.

Red Rider
07-17-2018, 04:23 AM
...loved the old style windows, with the ones u could open and aim the air at yourself (triangular) window vents. Unsure what there called.I’ve always heard them called “wing windows.”

Tri-Z 250
07-17-2018, 09:30 AM
I've driven a loaded out F150...I haven't towed with it but driven for a few days. Too many bells and whistles I'd agree, AC leather seats auto fold down foot boards, power fold in mirrors great to use but when that servo goes. The EcoBoost motor rocks, pulls strong and fuel mileage seems impressive compared to V8-10. This truck felt lighter but my comparison was an Excursion that held a love hate ownership relationship with. At 54k on the Platinum 150 the window on the passenger side is acting up...switch must be bad. Ford power windows/switches are not good quality IMO. Good luck

Arky-X
07-17-2018, 10:35 AM
I've driven a loaded out F150...I haven't towed with it but driven for a few days. Too many bells and whistles I'd agree, AC leather seats auto fold down foot boards, power fold in mirrors great to use but when that servo goes. The EcoBoost motor rocks, pulls strong and fuel mileage seems impressive compared to V8-10. This truck felt lighter but my comparison was an Excursion that held a love hate ownership relationship with. At 54k on the Platinum 150 the window on the passenger side is acting up...switch must be bad. Ford power windows/switches are not good quality IMO. Good luck

Funny you mention the power fold mirrors. My 2007 Chevy has those and the driver's side no longer works.
"But you have an 11 year old truck...."
I had probably only used that 20 times before it quit and it was out of warranty. Guess I don't miss it much because I've never fixed it and don't care to.
Another funny "feature" was the heated windshield washer fluid. On days there is frost or ice on my windshield I could press the heated washer fluid button.....it would heat.....then spray the windshield melting the ice. GM said there was a recall because the circuit would overheat and burn up a wire so they tried to fix it. Apparently they still had issues with the circuit burning up so Mr. Goodwrench's solution?......remove that feature and give me $100. You are a $multi-billion$ company and your solution is to say, "F-it....we don't know what to do so remove it."

ironchop
07-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Good post going here. Lots of reaffirmations of what I've heard all my life on some brands and the view that all we have to choose from today is $50k disposable vehicles....

See, when Obama said 'Cash for Clunkers' everybody took that the wrong way.

He meant bring your cash on down here and buy yourself a brand new clunker.

My brother has a brand new Rubicon he ordered earlier this year. Gorgeous vehicle. I think he said it was $55K. It had about 1K miles on it and we went to a concert. When we went to leave, he stepped up on his rear bumper and his license plate bracket fell out of the bumper. Literally. It's held in by three tabs. No bolts or screws. Push in tabs. Screws are getting way too expensive.

The good news is that with the backup camera feature, you can see your license plate and bracket both laying on the ground before you drive off and leave it behind by accident

keister
07-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Stoped and looked at a Tundra today. Didn't stay long when I saw the 5.7 engine getting 14-17 mpg wow

17 is pretty optimistic. I get a bit over 14 in the Tundra. Then again, I only got 17 in my V6 Tacoma. If fuel mileage is a deal breaker, Toyota is not the brand for you.

atctim
07-17-2018, 02:14 PM
I've got a 14 Tundra (bought new in Jan. 14) about to roll 85K with zero mechanical issues to date and still on OEM front brakes. Rears replaced at 80K. Only other thing is tires - just got 55K on my latest set with never having an alignment. That should tell you something right there honestly! You literally can not go wrong if you are in the 1/2 ton market. Tundra for the win.

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2018, 02:24 PM
I have never seen a transmission come out of a Tundra. All companies have issues.

I guess I am bias. I am a Toyota guy. The 5.7 is a good strong engine.

That's all I've ever owned aside from my 73 GMC at 18 y.o. I had an 88, 94 and now an 03 Toyota Tacoma, got 200K out of all of them.

Next stop = Tundra PRO 5.7 and I'd LOVE to pop in a supercharger!!!!

Nice one ironchop- nice lines loved the old style windows, with the ones u could open and aim the air at yourself (triangular) window vents. Unsure what there called. My dad had a similiar one yrs ago- when it rained your feet would get wet (lots of rust holes “big ones”

Shep

My dad called those "cigarette windows" as that's what his generation used them for :D

atc300r
07-17-2018, 05:54 PM
2018 Amish Truck with trailer 1 horepower.Extended cab,A/C.Four leg drive.253644 253645

Arky-X
07-17-2018, 06:17 PM
2018 Amish Truck with trail 1 horepower.Extended cab,A/C.Four leg drive.253644 253645

I've seen them in the 2 HP version as well.
What kind of mileage you get? 20 miles per gallon (of oats)

atc300r
07-17-2018, 06:35 PM
2018 Amish Truck with trailer 1 horepower.Extended cab,A/C.Four leg drive.253644 253645

This was parked at my work today.The guys were across the street at an auction.We gave the horse some water through out the day.

fieldy
07-17-2018, 07:42 PM
253646 Forget that, those models would never pass todays tough emission standards.

fabiodriven
07-17-2018, 09:26 PM
The little windows that flip open in front of the regular window are most commonly known as "fly windows" or "quarter windows". It's a mystery of epic proportions as to the circumstances surrounding their disappearance.

dustrunner
07-17-2018, 11:06 PM
Saw an ad on TV today for 189 $ a month lease from Ford... ANY LEASE renters here with what actually happens and costs ?

200xman
07-18-2018, 06:38 AM
My co-worker leases a F150. He figures he will be 15k miles over whats allowed by the end of the lease and has resigned himself to having to buy the truck rather than pay the overage. They do whatever they have to to get you in the seat. On the topic also I have a 2015 F250 and can say it will be my last of many Fords. Rides like crap, had to add air bags to tow anything other than a lawn mower and the underside of the bed is already starting to rust. The water pump went at about 38k also but that was covered under warranty. It's a 6.2 gas, 13 mpg around town and 15-17 on the highway. It does pull well towing though.

Jaywood1207
07-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Saw an ad on TV today for 189 $ a month lease from Ford... ANY LEASE renters here with what actually happens and costs ?

Usually those ads are based on base models and show the absolute lowest you would have to pay in order to get your interest. It worked didn’t it. :D
Your best bet is to go online to the ford website and build and price your truck. When done go to the payment section and you can put in different data (down payments, trade in if you have one, length of lease etc) and see what the payments will be. This will be all based on list price so if you are into negotiating then you should be able to do better than that.
I traded in my 09 Sierra in March and bought a 18 Sierra and although I just went over 3000km yesterday I am very pleased with it so far. I have a company car which gets driven about 50 percent of the time and 90 percent of my driving is in town so I might put on 15000 km per year. I leased and plan on buying it out when done. The list with some extras I put on was just over 60k cdn but with my gm employee discount and the truck month deals the price was reduced by about 15k plus my trade in (8500) plus some cash. I ended up with a payment of just over 300 per month on a 3 yr lease and my intention is to buy it out and keep it for an additional 3 or 4 yrs. I went with a higher end package because this is our family driver when we all go and I wanted comfort and figured I deserved it at this stage in my life.

DAM shop
07-18-2018, 09:44 AM
I am not loyal to any brand truck, whats more important to me when shopping for a truck is the age/milage to price ratio and nothing with any signs of body damage or rust. It took me two years to purchase my last truck last year. It was a 2012 siverado wiyh 27 k on it. Owned by an older gentelman with many GM aftermarket parts on it. The dealer was fair with my used up 05. I looked at everything, all the brands and was just unwilling to spend 25k on something that had 60-70k miles on it.
I looked at so many trucks I could tell you what any year truck with miles on it should be going for. All dealers and private sellars price out of the same book. Trucks are over priced for sure. I actually wanted an older Ford extended cab but was unable to find one within a reasonable distance. Even considered an old Bronco or Blaser and just pulling a nice trailer when needed.
My 2012 has the 5.3 and I like the smaller motor because of the extra room in the engine bay, that was another deciding factor (can I change the plugs or alternator if need be).
Overall pleased with price to milage that I got on this Truck, plus it was undercoated when new another bonus..

dustrunner
07-24-2018, 05:59 AM
Drove a new chevy, liked it. till I got a price of almost 43 k out the door... Especially since the tranny will need rebuilt at around 60 k miles...ouch

El Camexican
07-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Drove a new chevy, liked it. till I got a price of almost 43 k out the door... Especially since the tranny will need rebuilt at around 60 k miles...ouch

Why do you think the trans will go out at 60,000? What kind of warrantee do they come with?

El Camexican
07-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Like my Cock ...........it was strong as it could be.........like my Cock...........no one could ever Pee as far as me ...........because they use the same transmission from the Chevy Cruse ..........because it`s Junk..........because all they want to do is fack you outta your money ........driving a new pick-up in Mexico ?........hows that work just leave it dirty (cause it`s illegal to wash cars ?) and pray narco`s don`t want it cause it`s ch!tty Chevy ?...........listen to the heartbeat ...........of my anal-pore........that today's Chevrolet !!!

Translation: My wife won’t let me have a new truck cuz I have erectile disfunction.

200x350xtriz250
07-27-2018, 07:55 PM
My $0.02 - I bought a new 2015 Ford F150 XL, extended cab, 4x4, ecoboost at the beginning of 2016. Paid $32k OTD. It has 33k on it now, no issues yet. 2.7L ecoboost engine is at 23+mpg since new. This is mostly driving back and forth to work. Seat of the pants, it has way more bang than my 2003 Ford F150 2x4 with the 4.6L V-8. Pulls the 5x8 trailer and RZR as good or better than the 2003.

One person mentioned the auto-shut off - it is saving me gas, long term it may cost me more in starter component repairs but that remains to be seen. Before buying I drove a 3.5L, 3.5L ecoboost and a 5.0L. 5.0L sounded the best, but the 3.5L ecoboost was the most powerful and offered better MPGs. The 3.5L normal was a dog that needed to be put down.

I'm happy with my truck but kinda wish I would have held out for the 3.5L ecoboost, but as I remember the only way to get that was to upgrade from the XL model making the base price to high for me at the time. Only real complaint is the oil filter. No more spin on, instead it has a plastic lid and the lid unscrews up. First time I changed the oil, I loosened it and pulled the lid off, a couple cups of oil poured out all over the top front part of the engine. I did learn to loosen as much as possible and leave it, it will drain after a few minutes with little mess.

Only you know what you want and truly need in a truck, but for me my 15 works perfect for my needs. Long-term reliability, who knows. I'll maintain it as best I can and see what happens. Looked at all the brands mentioned, nothing offered similar for similar price.

oldskool83
07-27-2018, 08:39 PM
New trucks are cool if you are ok with paymentd. I put $1200 no away for retirement. Id rather save it now then spend but I've never had a loan for anything.

El Camexican
07-30-2018, 11:08 PM
In related news I got my first dent in the new rig today... at the dealers getting a mandatory dealer oil change.

Ape sh*t crazy would be an understatement for my reaction when they claimed I brought it in like that. The manager will be calling in the morning.

El Camexican
07-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Hoela ......diss is Heffe of chitty Chevy dealershit ...........we believe you have no claim...........come back here and we`ll put your head on dashboard ..........ok puto ?.............chingas su madre..........oh Canada .......!!

Guess who DIDN'T get a call today? Voy a visitar los piches hijos de puta manana.

knappyfeet
08-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Waiting at the dentist office for my son and saw this nice rig.

What are they like 40K?

keister
08-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Waiting at the dentist office for my son and saw this nice rig.

What are they like 40K?

Mid thirties.
Sorry Glamy, I have to disagree.
I have had 3 Tacomas and pound for pound they are a better pickup than Tundra.
My Tacomas just seemed to be built better. More sturdy? More durable? It is hard to quantify.
The Tacomas have cooler options and packages (120V outlet in the bed for example), and Tundras get Silverado tail lights.
^^^^ Paraphrased from ATCTim ^^^^^
The only reason I had to upgrade to a Tundra was for the V8 motor when I got my toy hauler.
The little 4.0 Tacoma V6 is an awesome motor. Hook up the heaviest load and drive through the mountains. It picks a gear and goes.

knappyfeet
08-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Mid thirties.
Sorry Glamy, I have to disagree.
I have had 3 Tacomas and pound for pound they are a better pickup than Tundra.
My Tacomas just seemed to be built better. More sturdy? More durable? It is hard to quantify.
The Tacomas have cooler options and packages (120V outlet in the bed for example), and Tundras get Silverado tail lights.

I heard that the Tundra and Tacoma utilize the exact same chassis.....that the Tundra uses bigger body panels. Maybe that is the reason the Tacoma feels more sturdy and durable.

El Camexican
08-01-2018, 05:51 PM

I'm sure glad you didn't hassle his wife for parking in the handicap spot. I hear that doesn't end well in the States.

Those Tacomas are brick sh*t houses. Too bad they burn gas like a V8.

ironchop
08-01-2018, 06:57 PM
I've owned two Toyotas in my life

1995 4runner which was weak, slow, and heavy....but reliable at least.

My 1978 FJ40 Landcruiser was the best 4x4 I've ever owned in my entire life for trails and general. It had 79K on it when it got it and I put another 80K miles on it. I only had to replace the clutch, the clutch slave cylinder, tires, and the water pump. Everything else was OEM except the exhaust header. It had a 4.2L I-6 in it and was 4:10 or 4:11 geared because it wouldn't do over about 65mph in 4th gear so it was not really a hwy driver though I drove it daily anyway. In 10" of fresh snow in the road and the frontend locked in, I could do 50mph and it was steady as a rock. That thing started without fail from -20F to 105F. It was better than my 78 CJ7 in just about every way as well except I recall the Jeep getting way better fuel mileage. The FJ was 10mpg average I think and it was THE SUCKIEST part of driving it.

Tri-Z 250
08-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Listen Jedi Glammy to your inner YOTA, let it guide you away from the Darkside.

keister
08-02-2018, 12:41 PM

How is the search going, dustrunner?

keister
08-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Tacoma people are Fags ......ha ha ha ha ha.........................just kidding ..........ok?.............show me your cigarette lighter :idea::idea::Bounce:Bounce:Bounce:lol::naughty::na ughty:

??? On my 95 Tacoma, I hooked a power inverter to my cigarette lighter, then plugged in a blow dryer to inflate an air mattress. It never worked again. I think that was the last truck I had that came with both a cigarette lighter and an ashtray. Here's my Toyota resume. I have exclusively purchased Toyotas since graduating college (eg. since I've had enough money to afford one).

1987 single cab 2.4L manual 5-speed. That motor was a dog. It had manual locking hubs so you could put it in low range 2wd and get rubber in all 5 gears. Pretty beat when I got it, very beat when I sold it. Uncle Beavis painted it yellow with 2 black strips back the hood and over the roof. Every truck from here forward was black.

1995 single cab 2.7L manual 5-speed. That 4 banger had a little more pep. This was the greatest truck of all time. At 170,000 I had to put some money into it, but I wanted to go 500,000 and there was no reason it wouldn't have. At 175,000 a teenage girl in her mom's SUV spun into my lane and totaled the truck. Only time I have ever taken an airbag to the face. Oh, and this was a 1995 1/2 model. Mid model year in 95, the Tacoma was introduced. I had one of the first ones. 3 trips to TrikeFest.

1998 single cab 2.7L manual 5-speed. Same truck but without the booming stereo, windowless cap and Interco Thornbirds. Just didn't have the same cool factor. At 145,000 Toyota was offering book value and a half on a trade in due to a frame recall. I took the $9000 in a heartbeat since that was more than I had originally paid for it. 3 trips to TrikeFest.

Bought the ex a 2006 4-Runner (3-Runner?). 4.0L V6. 19.5 mpg. One day she drove away in it taking the ATC110 and my dog with her. I got the trike back, but Ole Red went to doggy heaven. 1 trip to TrikeFest.

2011 Extra Cab automatic Tacoma TX Pro V6 4.0. My first automatic which I was not thrilled about. This truck towed anything and everything I hooked to its hitch. Had the fold down rear seats, which means it had seating room for 3 adults - if the third adult is very small. 6 trips to TrikeFest.

Which brings us to May 2017, when I made the decision to buy a toy hauler and necessitated the Tundra Crew Max Cab 5.7L. The bed 5 and a half feet square which means it can haul a full size 3-wheeler with the tailgate up. The only way to buy a stick shift Tundra is single cab, 8 foot bed -- tempting, but couldn't do it. Oil changes are at 10,000 miles. It is presently 14 months old and has 26,000 miles. As for maintenance, the oil has been changed twice and tires rotated 4 times. One trip to TrikeFest and counting.

keister
08-02-2018, 05:27 PM
I heard that the Tundra and Tacoma utilize the exact same chassis.....that the Tundra uses bigger body panels. Maybe that is the reason the Tacoma feels more sturdy and durable.
I think Tacoma shares a frame with 3Runner. Tundra is likely a Sequoia chasis. I don't know that for fact - just an assumption.