PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a 1984 honda big red atc 200es

Honda2001
07-15-2018, 04:46 AM
Just been giving a 1984 honda big red atc 200es for free. The owner said that when he left it ten years ago all that was wrong with was a clogged carb. It now has three flat tires, dead battery and it seems that gearbox wont change gear. should I pull the gear box open and spray WD40 on a all the parts and force them to come loose? Is it worth fixing or is it too far gone.

ironchop
07-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Rock it back and forth while you're trying to change gears

Can't answer your other question without pics

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Honda2001
07-15-2018, 03:45 PM
thanks will pull it back around with a ATV or tractor tomorrow

Gabriel
07-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Might see if it'll roll with the gear shifter pushed and held. If it still won't move the clutches are likely stuck.

shortline10
07-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Are you talking about the forward / reverse lever or the foot shifter ?

350for350
07-15-2018, 09:46 PM
thanks will pull it back around with a ATV or tractor tomorrow That may not be a good thing to do. When you try to shift it, just move it forward and back a little bit. You may not be able to get it to shift if the tires don't hold air. You also can't just open up the gearbox and spray WD-40 inside there. To get to the transmission, you have to COMPLETELY disassemble the engine.

mendoAu
07-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Yep, it's shot., Give me your address and I'll come pick it up.
You just got one of the best three wheelers ever produced. Take your time to get this puppy up and running. After ten years there are alot of things to do before hitting that red starter button. First, drain the oil and put a half quart of diesel fuel in the engine. Pull the starter (with plug wire detached) a few times. Stop. wait an hour, and do it again. Repeat a few times and then drain the diesel out. Add fresh oil and when it starts stop and change oil again. Pull the cord a few times to get everything oiled up again. Inflate tires...if problem holding air get inner tubes. Remove tank and fuel lines. Wash out the tank with a strong solution of hot water and dish soap. Any rust come OUT? If so check this site for answers. I've had good luck with cheap carb replacements....just as a heads up some parts for this model are pretty pricey (check out prices for replacement pull starter parts...HA!). Trash that battery and get a new one. Order a couple of cheap CDI units ( check out how to change that round cdi adapter to a rectangle unit...locate on this site) and get a couple of new sparkplugs. Coils and new spark wire are fairly cheap. Don't get in rush 'cause if you do you might just get to the point of kickin' it down the cliff....but when they run they are an absolute work mule. Water in the outer case (pull starter) is a common thing on mine cause I'm always going up, down or across streams and gaskets are way to pricie, I just pop the cover off now and then and spray the crap out of it with PBBlaster. A total brake job would be a good thing,, I've never held much respect for the front brake but my brakes in the rear lock them fat tires up solid. Alot more details but get back after this list. Like I said if ya think you might not want it let me know.

Honda2001
07-16-2018, 04:22 AM
thanks will try later. Only problem is that i live in the uk and buying parts from the USA costs a fortune and there are not many about here:(. Every time i pull the pullstart cord it only goes so far and stops and wont go any further just as the the metal thing comes out.

Honda2001
07-17-2018, 05:40 PM
haha just snapped a the drain plug in half so I'm going to have to buy a new one:lol:

Gabriel
07-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Are you talking about the forward / reverse lever or the foot shifter ?

Foot shifter.

Shame you ain't on this side of the pond. I got a pair of those engines.