PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda ATC 250R Wiring Harness with 86-89 Honda ATC/TRX CDI

2K3EvoVIII
07-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Hello Everyone. This is my first post but I have been a avid user of 3WW for some time now. I finally got a 85 250R but was having some spark issues. After diagnosing everything using the service manual I came to the conclusion it was the CDI. As everyone knows its harder and harder to find the 85 CDI "that is not a china special" and since i was planning on keeping the bike for the term I am given a new option was needed. I did allot of research but it seemed the answer was always to switch it over to a CR250 ignition system "which does not have provisions for lights" or purchase a 86 Wire Harness, Stator, CDI "Lots of parts not needed in my situation adding more expense" used and swap everything out. Looking at the wiring diagrams from both the 85 and 86 years everything is the same except for the CDI plug "But in both the 85 and 86 there are 6 wires available at the plug "85" or plugS "86". Once again i looked around and asked about just repining the plugs to the newer "86-89 style" and got nothing but crickets :wondering

Long story short here is a diagram to use a 1985 ATC 250R Wiring Harness but use 86-89 CDI. This gives you some more options in your CDI picks and also keeps the stock lighting system relevant. Hope it helps! :Bounce

Chris