PDA

View Full Version : ATC shaft drives

Gabriel
07-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Shaft drive. Better, worse or just different??

I have never owned a shaft driven model before but I find myself with enough parts to build one, less the frame.
These parts are kinda like surplus money. They're kinda burning a hole in my pocket. Once I finish the 200s frame I'm piecing together I know I'm gonna wanna do something with it all.
I'm also considering (in another thread) another engine build and using an XR200 top end to build a better performer.
I guess what I'm asking here is, would the shaft drive models handle the extra power and perform better, worse or about the same?

Slim chance but I MIGHT know where to get a usable frame to build on.

ironchop
07-21-2018, 10:56 PM
If you drive through creeks, mud, or sand, I'd want shaft drive. Chain maintenance SUCKS and you have to do it alot.

On shaft drive everything is sealed, so as long as all your seals are good and you keep fresh diff lube in it, they generally don't need much else. Those Honda shafts seem to last a loooong time.

I've never heard of problems handling extra power. I could swear that Four Stroke Tech was selling 350 kits for them so I would ask them if the shafts hold up with 100cc more engine

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk