PDA

View Full Version : 250ES Stator cover plate stuck

Chili_Willy
07-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Long story but here goes, a good friend's uncle passed and he asked if I could fix up the 3 wheeler that he would drive around when visiting his uncle growing up as a tribute to his uncle. I was honored and proceeded to clean out the gas tank, fix all the broken wires and connections but I still have one big issue, no spark. I have replaced the spark plug, the coil, the CDI (from a 250R not exact but thought why not try it). Now I am wanting to look at the stator and pulse generator. I measured them, the stator (Exciter coil) measures 340 (it's a little high) and the pulse generator measures 333 (it's within the range) but when I tried to remove the cover it would come off about 1/4 inch and that is it. The harder I pulled it seemed to pull back equally as hard even pinching my fingers as I tried to remove it. I checked the frame clearance and it's tight but looks like it should clear it. So ... what is going on inside to prevent the cover from coming off and any suggestions how to remove it?

Chili_Willy
08-27-2018, 01:49 PM
I have an update ... I was finally able to remove the stator cover plate. Turns out the bottom of the cover was hitting the frame and wouldn't allow the cover to slide off the shifter shaft. I ended up loosening all the motor mount bolts and removing most of them to pry the motor up a bit so I could remove the plate. In the photo you can see where it was hitting. 254198
Now before I re-install the cover I will modify the frame so it fits better but now I have another problem. The GEARSHIFT RETURN SPRING PIN is broken and I have to decide whether to drill it out and replace with a new pin or JB weld the broken one in place. 254197
Any suggestions?

Shep1970
08-27-2018, 02:27 PM
Jb weld will work “until” u put the gasket/cover and oil back in, Then you’ll be taking it back apart. Do it right, maybe pick up a “reverse” drill bit or small pick, tap the end and work it out unthreading it as u go. (May come out easier than u think) Pretty sure you’d regret trying to jb weld it:)
Good luck

Shep
Ps- go to Walmart get a can of that keyboard duster in a can for $2 dollars then hold spray can “upside down” w/straw aim at bolt- it will be “very” cold/ may shrink broken bolt enough to loosen ( it works) and is cheap....