PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 250es crankshaft smaller?

Raised on 3
07-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks for adding me to your group! I'm looking for help with a 85 Big red. I've had some trouble with shifting, it would want to lunge into 1st gear even after clutch adjustment. I pulled right cover, everything was right and tight according to service manual. To inspect all the clutch linings I pulled both clutches. To my surprise, on the crankshaft, some had placed aluminum foil around crankshaft, between centrifugal clutch splines. Is it possible there are 2 different size cranks? I believe at sometime it probably came off crank, bc the cover has light damage inside, and the centrifugal clutch is showing none, probably replaced it at some point. Maybe with a different size?? All the clutch linings are barely above min specs. No apparent damage to one way bearing, or surfaces. Please help!

TheRealFatShady
07-25-2018, 02:52 PM
I believe the 85 to 85 1/2 had a smaller diameter crank on the primary gear side. those smaller ends sometimes sheared off so the crank end was made bigger for the 86/87

Raised on 3
07-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm looking to find a new centrifugal splined clutch hub then? How in the world would I know which one it is? I've looked on the interwebs, found several listed. People list them as 85, but is there a visual difference?