PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Klt 160 gas tank

Bryanwadz
08-03-2018, 10:41 AM
So I was given a 1985 klt 160 about a year ago. I had never heard of it until then, and i soon realized that it was pretty freakin rare. The only things wrong with it are that it had holes (from rust) in the gas tank, missing pull start rope, and missing a seat. Otherwise, it runs, drives, shifts perfect. It has all of the plastics, the air box, everything. Anyways, the holes in the gas tank... I was thinking about running some gas tank rust cleaner through it while covering the holes, and once it’s clean, jb welding the holes, grinding down excess jb weld, and painting it black. Not really sure if I should do this, but I know that these gas tanks are near impossible to find, let alone good shape. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, I really want to get this thing riding like it should, and not using a water bottle as a gas tank anymore. XD

shortline10
08-03-2018, 12:01 PM
JB weld won’t hold up , btw the klt110 and 185 are all the same tank so that might help in your search .
If you decide to fix your tank you can try having the holes brazed .

Bryanwadz
08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
I’ve looked just about everywhere for even one of those gas tanks, but it seems that no one makes them even for 110 or 185, there’s someone willing to give me an old triumph gas tank, which would fit over the frame, but that wouldn’t look right, looks like I’m gonna have to find someone who can fix it for relatively cheap, I think I know a few people who can help, but thank you for the suggestions!

shortline10
08-03-2018, 01:43 PM
I have used a marine 2 part epoxy that was specific for holding up against fuel , it worked without leaks but honestly brazing it is best .

Bryanwadz
08-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Alright, I’ll try that, thank you!